MCMBA: Maybury

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Agree with the others...

Postby ?andyA » May 29th, 2004, 4:02 pm

Like the others mentioned, Maybury is mostly dry. A few soft/muddy parts but not so much to make you slow down too much. I got there around 11:30 and did a little trimming on the first mile/mile-and-a-half. All in all, it was a great day to ride.
?andyA

Postby Schwinn_Fanatic » June 13th, 2004, 4:16 pm

Maybury report 6-13-2004:

The trail is in great shape save for a few muddy spots.
The trail is in need of a trimming pretty badly.
Many many face slappers and such all throughout the trail.
Enjoy the nice weather while we have it.
I only exist for your entertainment
...manage public interaction with natural resources based on science and not based on the radical agendas of politically savvy, sociopathic niche special interest groups. -JAJones
Schwinn_Fanatic

conditions

Postby WICCMB » June 15th, 2004, 10:07 pm

Maybury and the Northville area got pounded by rains on Monday, and earlier tonight the trail still had a lot of slimy mud puddles on it. Give it another day or two to dry out again.....plus the overgrowth is really bad! If everyone took a pair of clippers out there and just did a few it would go a LONG way!
WICCMB
Administrator

Postby RideCannondale » June 18th, 2004, 9:45 am

Is riding with clippers the same as running with scissors?
Make me a bicycle... Clown...
RideCannondale

Postby KonaDub » June 18th, 2004, 8:33 pm

I rode the Trails at Maybury today and 50% of the trail is very greasy with another 25% extremely muddy. I left the trails caked in the brown stuff and the bike was a mess. Certain areas were bordering on dangerous if not equiped without the right tires.
JHOVA
Kona Kula '03
Felt F65 '05
KonaDub

Good Ride

Postby jsmassey » June 20th, 2004, 9:26 am

We started off early and immediately hit some mud. It wasn't deep or excessively slippery but you had to keep your wits. The trail is still a bit overgrown, but a lot of fun. A little mud from time to time but again no big deal.
jsmassey

Maybury is fine...

Postby Sherpaboy » June 23rd, 2004, 10:26 am

Maybury is fine...We rode 2 laps last night nad there are only minimal muddy or soft spots.

*** I am planning on going out there Friday Morning to do some minor work maybe some trimming...Anyone interested. I have to be there early and leave by 10:30 at the latest.

PM or e-mail Me
Mike
Mike AKA Sherpaboy
Sherpaboy

Postby Tauwolf » June 23rd, 2004, 7:28 pm

Hey there, just came from Maybury (still have dirt on my legs, lol).

The fast downhill section before you come to the paved trails with the little shaded benches between them: Wow this section needs some trimming. Several major face-slappers, one got me good enough to *almost* cause a wreck. :shock:

Other than that, the trail is in great shape and there aren't too many areas that need major cleanup, just some random debris on the trail and minor trimming here and there. I wouldn't think it would take one peson more than a couple of hours to do the whole trail. I wanted to make a third loop to move all the debris but I need to get going to make it to work.... sorry.... :(
Tauwolf

Just got back...

Postby Sherpaboy » June 25th, 2004, 12:06 pm

It took Dave and Myself 3 hours do clip the section from the old trailhead (becnches near the dirt road) to the pavement crossing where the shaded bench is. Lots of sweat and work....

BTW Others are encouraged help or plan this kind of routine maint. on their own...this would save a lot of effor tby the few. Lets face it the MMBA is a volunteer organization...
Mike AKA Sherpaboy
Sherpaboy

what the *beep*?!

Postby WICCMB » June 29th, 2004, 9:55 pm

OK....who's the *beep* who cut down all of the trees down that were remotely close to the edge of the trail!? :evil: It's becoming more like ILRA all the time out there! Geesh!!! :evil:
WICCMB
Administrator

Re: what the *beep*?!

Postby hockeydaddy » June 29th, 2004, 10:18 pm

WishIcouldcatchmybreath wrote:OK....who's the *beep* who cut down all of the trees down that were remotely close to the edge of the trail!? :evil: It's becoming more like ILRA all the time out there! Geesh!!! :evil:

Probably the same wad who cut the one's at Novi around the same time last year. if I ever catch em I wring their F ing necks. Figurtivly speakin that is :twisted:
Some people are alive today simply because it's against the law to kill them.......
Mountain Biker

http://hockeydaddy.blogspot.com/

http://www.teamtreefarm.com/
hockeydaddy

Postby Liquid » June 29th, 2004, 10:43 pm

there was one tree just to the left side of a hair pin turn that was always a major caution area for me.... I have to say, I was sooooo happy to see that tree gone after countless loops there over a few years, now I can take that turn faster! I didnt notice any others, I was just glad about that one though (hated it). I thought it was mike & whoever helped him.
Liquid

tree cutters

Postby WICCMB » June 30th, 2004, 6:30 am

No, it wasn't Mike that cut the trees - we were out there last night, and he was equally surprised / *beep* off.....

The tree in the hairpin turn was one of the ones that really upset me....it really was no big deal to get around, and was a Maybury "staple". Well, no more! :evil:
WICCMB
Administrator

Postby Limey » June 30th, 2004, 9:34 pm

I was out at Maybury tonight and was distressed by the missing trees - mentioned above by Wish......

From the trail head the devistation is from 0.9 miles to the two benches arranged in a "chevron" at 1.4 miles. As well as a couple of trees missing from the inside of some of the tighter, more challenging corners, there are also three re-routes straigtening out corners that previously snaked around trees.

My questions:-

1) Is this official trail work or bandit work?
2) Are the re-routes official? If they are bandit, lets organise a work day to loose them.

That section was one of the best parts, where you really had to work the bike to keep any speed. I will concede any work to combat errosion for the longevity of the trail, but I am disappointed at the "dumbing down" of the technical nature of the trail.

Maybury - RIP....

In anticipation of a reply from the management........

Martin
.....*beep* Cheeky Brit..... :shock:

Team Trails-Edge.com http://www.trails-edge.com
Limey

"management" reply

Postby WICCMB » June 30th, 2004, 10:28 pm

Well, I can tell you that the SE chapter was not aware / did not approve of the work.....so that leaves basically 2 explanations: 1) the park did it, or directed some volunteer groups to do it; or 2) it was done by trail bandits, perhaps well-meaning but nevertheless naive. :?
WICCMB
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions