Western: Cannonsburg SGA

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Cannonsburg SGA

Postby Mike_D » September 13th, 2010, 11:58 am

ReidRules18 wrote:When does the game area close for biking? I know it's sometime coming up.


Tomorrow (Tuesday the 14th) is the last day for riding legally. The game area closes on the 15th.
User avatar
Mike_D
 
Posts: 1946
Joined: March 29th, 2004, 11:22 am
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: Western: Cannonsburg SGA

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » September 13th, 2010, 9:47 pm

mntn-biker wrote:
ReidRules18 wrote:When does the game area close for biking? I know it's sometime coming up.


Tomorrow (Tuesday the 14th) is the last day for riding legally. The game area closes on the 15th.

That sucks. After filling in those roots and ruts the trail is as fast as ive seen it in a while. Slashed my best time by at least a minute or so. It also is very easy now to though, as far as skill level needed goes. Good thing we have the ski area for another couple months.
Ride or Die
Just Ride
Specialized SL Pro
User avatar
G.R.XC-MTNBKR
 
Posts: 826
Joined: May 14th, 2004, 10:52 am
Location: G.R

Re: Western: Cannonsburg SGA

Postby Bigtymer » September 14th, 2010, 7:37 am

Don't forget Robinette's and Luton are open year round
Bigtymer
User avatar
Bigtymer
 
Posts: 112
Joined: November 6th, 2008, 8:57 am
Location: Carbondale, CO

Re: Western: Cannonsburg SGA

Postby Mike_D » September 14th, 2010, 9:57 am

Bigtymer wrote:Don't forget Robinette's and Luton are open year round


How's Robinette's been? I haven't been there in years since they tore up the trail when they put that service road in. Do they still charge to ride there?
User avatar
Mike_D
 
Posts: 1946
Joined: March 29th, 2004, 11:22 am
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: Western: Cannonsburg SGA

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » September 14th, 2010, 10:22 am

mntn-biker wrote:
Bigtymer wrote:Don't forget Robinette's and Luton are open year round


How's Robinette's been? I haven't been there in years since they tore up the trail when they put that service road in. Do they still charge to ride there?

Still $3 and sign a waiver. Worth it once and a while if the trails in good shape.
Ride or Die
Just Ride
Specialized SL Pro
User avatar
G.R.XC-MTNBKR
 
Posts: 826
Joined: May 14th, 2004, 10:52 am
Location: G.R

Re: Western: Cannonsburg SGA

Postby Bigtymer » September 14th, 2010, 2:33 pm

I rode there a week or so ago and its in pretty good shape except for the really washed out descent. Its really washed out this summer. They do still charge to ride, I believe its 3$.
Bigtymer
User avatar
Bigtymer
 
Posts: 112
Joined: November 6th, 2008, 8:57 am
Location: Carbondale, CO

Re: Western: Cannonsburg SGA

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » September 14th, 2010, 9:24 pm

G.R.XC-MTNBKR wrote:
mntn-biker wrote:
Bigtymer wrote:Don't forget Robinette's and Luton are open year round


How's Robinette's been? I haven't been there in years since they tore up the trail when they put that service road in. Do they still charge to ride there?

Still $3 and sign a waiver. Worth it once and a while if the trails in good shape.

You should come check it out then, They have various other things to do out there that can be fun, Making kettle corn right off the grill, mmm!!! Also some cornfield maze to try out. And always plenty of pumpkins, cider and ice cream. Good Stuff! And I think that they might even have some wine tasting's.
Ride or Die
Just Ride
Specialized SL Pro
User avatar
G.R.XC-MTNBKR
 
Posts: 826
Joined: May 14th, 2004, 10:52 am
Location: G.R

Re: Western: Cannonsburg SGA

Postby Scotty » September 16th, 2010, 12:58 pm

That entire trail needs to be rebuilt....from scratch.

Has there been any talk within the chapter of rebuilding or improving that trail?
User avatar
Scotty
 
Posts: 5767
Joined: February 7th, 2003, 7:37 am

Re: Western: Cannonsburg SGA

Postby Mike_D » September 16th, 2010, 1:27 pm

Scotty wrote:That entire trail needs to be rebuilt....from scratch.

Has there been any talk within the chapter of rebuilding or improving that trail?


Assuming you are talking about Robinette's... I agree but the problem I see with rebuilding it is that it is private property and the landowners could shut it down in the blink of an eye. I'm thinking not many people would be willing to volunteer if there was ever the chance it would be closed down.
User avatar
Mike_D
 
Posts: 1946
Joined: March 29th, 2004, 11:22 am
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: Western: Cannonsburg SGA

Postby 2WheeledWarrior » September 16th, 2010, 3:03 pm

Robinette's is a cool place to go, but the trail I only ride when hunting season allows me to ride. Now that Luton is open...well, it's closed at dusk, so riding at Robinette's is still very possible.
The Motion Initiative
Believers On Mountain Bikes, International
-Our love must be genuine. Hate what is evil, cling to what is good. (Romans 12:9)
User avatar
2WheeledWarrior
 
Posts: 3335
Joined: December 27th, 2004, 7:19 pm
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: Western: Cannonsburg SGA

Postby purple helmet » September 16th, 2010, 4:43 pm

mntn-biker wrote:
Scotty wrote:That entire trail needs to be rebuilt....from scratch.

Has there been any talk within the chapter of rebuilding or improving that trail?


Assuming you are talking about Robinette's... I agree but the problem I see with rebuilding it is that it is private property and the landowners could shut it down in the blink of an eye. I'm thinking not many people would be willing to volunteer if there was ever the chance it would be closed down.


see "Owasippe" for example...
The HCP, where no one can hear you scream.
User avatar
purple helmet
 
Posts: 901
Joined: July 28th, 2003, 12:55 pm
Location: Spring Lake

Re: Western: Cannonsburg SGA

Postby Bigtymer » September 16th, 2010, 4:50 pm

Robinette's does not need to be rebuilt from scratch!!
Bigtymer
User avatar
Bigtymer
 
Posts: 112
Joined: November 6th, 2008, 8:57 am
Location: Carbondale, CO

Re: Western: Cannonsburg SGA

Postby mongose101 » September 17th, 2010, 2:58 am

I have not been riding Cannonsburg for very long, but I see someone said the Game area is closed now. What is this? I was planing on heading out to Cannonsburg today. I see other trails are being talked about and so for someone not local to the area I am a bit confused. Anyone care to shed some light on this for me?
User avatar
mongose101
 
Posts: 9
Joined: May 28th, 2010, 6:20 am

Re: Western: Cannonsburg SGA

Postby choppe » September 17th, 2010, 5:50 am

Hey look, a Robinette's thread:

http://www.mmba.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7454


mongose101 wrote:I have not been riding Cannonsburg for very long, but I see someone said the Game area is closed now. What is this? I was planing on heading out to Cannonsburg today. I see other trails are being talked about and so for someone not local to the area I am a bit confused. Anyone care to shed some light on this for me?


Condensed version:
Cannonsburg State Game Area is on land purchased with "hunter money", so one of the rules for allowing other use is that it closes for hunting seasons.
choppe
 
Posts: 286
Joined: April 6th, 2007, 2:41 am
Location: West Mi

Re: Western: Cannonsburg SGA

Postby dirtjunkie » September 17th, 2010, 10:20 am

The Connonsburg Ski area trail is open....and in great shape.

The game area, aka Egypt Valley, with the parking lot on 4 mile rd, is closed for the hunting season.

With Luton and Cannonsburg Ski area open....and Yankee only 35 minutes away....there are still plenty of options.
dirtjunkie
 
Posts: 470
Joined: September 16th, 2009, 9:43 am

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Feedfetcher and 44 guests