Western: Cannonsburg SGA

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Cannonsburg SGA

Postby Bigtymer » September 18th, 2010, 8:07 pm

Went hiking at sga tonight and there were fresh mountain bike tracks on the trail. Obviously someone doesn't care if its closed.
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » September 19th, 2010, 10:02 am

There are plenty of people that don't care or are just to stupid to read the signs. :roll:
Ride or Die
Just Ride
Specialized SL Pro
G.R.XC-MTNBKR

Postby Scotty » September 20th, 2010, 10:42 am

Bigtymer wrote:Went hiking at sga tonight and there were fresh mountain bike tracks on the trail. Obviously someone doesn't care if its closed.

Maybe they're riding at night when nobody's out there hunting.
Scotty

Postby johnhugo71 » September 20th, 2010, 11:32 am

anyone ever figure what the heck died out there at the start? several weeks ago when i was out there i almost got sick from the stench when we started. that was horrible! it was kinda cool to see all the turkey vulchers out there though, i think i counted 5 of them, man are they big and ugly! i figured it was probably a deer that got hit and made it there and died.
Meathead Mountain Biker!
Cannondale Scalpel 3 29er
GT Grade Carbon 105 w/ Velocity Aileron Wheels
johnhugo71

Postby Mike_D » September 20th, 2010, 12:42 pm

Scotty wrote:
Bigtymer wrote:Went hiking at sga tonight and there were fresh mountain bike tracks on the trail. Obviously someone doesn't care if its closed.

Is that legal? I would never do such a thing :roll:
Mike_D

Postby cramer » September 20th, 2010, 12:53 pm

mntn-biker wrote:
Scotty wrote:

No, it is not legal. I have my doubts about the claim that you can ride there with a hunting license and a gun also.
cramer

Postby Slimm » September 20th, 2010, 1:02 pm

cramer wrote:
mntn-biker wrote:
Scotty wrote:

No, it is not legal. I have my doubts about the claim that you can legally ride there with a hunting license and a gun also.

there, fixed it for you.

I concur
why did they say I needed this degree?

../|. ,[______],
|---L =O|||||||O
()_) .()_)--~---)_)
Slimm

Postby Bigtymer » September 20th, 2010, 6:09 pm

I highly doubt they were riding at night since it rained all Saturday afternoon and the tracks were freshly made. Unless somehow the tracks stayed intact after the down pour mid afternoon
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby Scotty » September 21st, 2010, 10:17 am

cramer wrote:No, it is not legal. I have my doubts about the claim that you can ride there with a hunting license and a gun also.

prove me wrong. I've been told that for years. I may be one of those things that is open to interpretation by the land managers.
Scotty

Postby cramer » September 21st, 2010, 11:04 am

Scotty wrote:
cramer wrote:No, it is not legal. I have my doubts about the claim that you can ride there with a hunting license and a gun also.

prove me wrong. I've been told that for years. I may be one of those things that is open to interpretation by the land managers.

Why should I have to prove you wrong? You're the one making an assertion that is contrary to what the MMBA has stated.

The Cannonsburg State Game Area is closed from September 15th - February 1st annually for small game hunting season. Please do not ride the trails during this time.

In addition, the general DNRE rule is that no bikes are allowed on any game area land for any purpose, hunting or otherwise. They make an exception at that trail, which is unique, yet they are very clear that this exception only applies during a specific date range. Without this exception, the normal rules apply as they do no ALL game area trails which is that no bikes are allowed.
cramer

Postby Bigtymer » September 21st, 2010, 12:24 pm

Cramer, you are always the voice of reason on the forum. That guy clearly doesn't care about following the rules, but don't worry I already informed the DNR about our little friend with the gun:)
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby Slimm » September 21st, 2010, 2:36 pm

for anyone who is wondering and/or missed it when I posted this a month ago:

Slimm wrote:
Scotty wrote:
printenv wrote:
According to the trail guide:

I know what the trail guide says. I'm curious as to whether it's being closed because it always has been, or because there's a real need to keep people off the trails.

Yankee Springs comes to mind. It was closed for hunting until a few years ago when park management was convinced that there wouldn't be any conflict with cyclists during hunting season.

As far as who is banned at CSGA, i believe it's only bikes. However, if you decide to ride your bike into the game area for the purpose of hunting it's my understanding that THAT is perfectly legal.

here's an excerpt from the rules that I found on the DNR site:

3.4 Cannonsburg state game area, Kent county, prohibited conduct.

Order 3.4 A person shall not do any of the following on the Cannonsburg SGA being all or portions of sections 27, 29, 33, and 34, T8N R10W, and sections 3 and 4, T7N R10W, Kent county:

(1) Discharge or possess afield a centerfire rifle.

(2) Discharge a firearm in a designated parking area.

(3) Target, trap, or skeet shoot.

(4) Use skis from November 1 through the first Sunday following January 1.

(5) Enter the observation deck, walking, and parking area located in the SE? of the SE? of section 28, T8N R10W, from ? hour after sunset to ? hour before sunrise. This prohibition does not apply to department personnel or authorized construction company personnel performing official or department authorized duties.

(6) Operate a bicycle of any kind, from September 15 through January 31, on the area, including roads and trails, unless designated open to bicycle use.

History: Iss. Sept. 17, 1993; Am. 14, 1997, Post May 9, 1997; Am. 8, 1998, Post Sept. 1, 1998.

I don't see any exceptions in there.

let us know how it goes, mkay?
why did they say I needed this degree?

../|. ,[______],
|---L =O|||||||O
()_) .()_)--~---)_)
Slimm

Postby Scotty » September 22nd, 2010, 6:48 am

cramer wrote:Why should I have to prove you wrong? You're the one making an assertion that is contrary to what the MMBA has stated.

Chill out. The MMBA doesn't decide what people can or cannot do. If the state regulation is clear, that's all that matters. I'd been told by a number of sportsmen that was the case. If it's wrong it's wrong.

Scotty

Postby cramer » September 22nd, 2010, 7:00 am

Scotty wrote:The MMBA doesn't decide what people can or cannot do.

I never said the MMBA decided anything. I said you're the one making the assertion that's contrary to what the MMBA says. My point wasn't that what they say goes but rather that the burden to "prove" something is yours, not mine.
cramer

Postby John_H » September 22nd, 2010, 10:49 am

Scotty wrote:
cramer wrote:Why should I have to prove you wrong? You're the one making an assertion that is contrary to what the MMBA has stated.

Chill out. The MMBA doesn't decide what people can or cannot do. If the state regulation is clear, that's all that matters. I'd been told by a number of sportsmen that was the case. If it's wrong it's wrong.

So Scott - Is it that "sportsmen" decide? or have you heard that from an actual land manager like DNR? The written rules look pretty clear to me.
John_H

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions