Western: Yankee Springs

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Yankee Springs

Postby sworks88 » September 2nd, 2009, 3:00 pm

Bigtymer wrote:Lift your front tire up . Those roots make yankee. Sounds like you need to mtn bike more.

It seems like every time someone has a gripe about this trail that you slam them with some comment like this one. The guy clearly stated that it was his first ride out there this year and offered his opinion of the trail. I know the section that he was talking about and it not an easy task to clear that section. Indeed the roots and sand are what make Yankee Springs the trail that it is....but I feel there is a better way to approach someone who has only ridden out there one time this year.

Riceman....that section is tough. The best approach is to hop off your bike and survey the area. Find a line you think will work and attack it. If you fail. Try again. I make that section about 1 our of 5 trips through. Don't get frustrated with the trail....just learn how to tackle the nasty obstacles. This is what I do. If you think I am full of crap....well.....maybe I am.
sworks88

Postby blamp28 » September 2nd, 2009, 4:31 pm

That section (near mile 10) has been a challenge for me this year for some reason. I think the erosion has just made it tougher than it was or my skills have decreased but I have been riding this trail for nine years. I just can't seem to pick a good line through it sometimes. This is not a complaint but an observation. I like the challenge the various sections of this trail have included and remember fondly when some of the sections were a little tougher. I have always used the more challenging features of any trail I frequent as a personal on-going gauge of my skills and or fitness.
blamp28

Postby Bigtymer » September 3rd, 2009, 9:47 am

Good for you bro! I'll leave that task for you.
Bigtymer

Postby Irish57 » September 22nd, 2009, 6:54 pm

I definitely got challenged today- butt whuppin. Actually the sand hardened up some after the rain making it easier to get through. But there are areas that you have to thread your way through which makes it challenging because you don't want to go to slow or fast. Oh well. BTW-there is a tree down at about 1.5 miles on the deep Lake Trail. If your ready for it you can get over it . Just a heads up!
Irish57

Postby stritz » September 29th, 2009, 3:13 pm

I was told that the trail has been lengthened from 13 to 15 miles this year? I am planning a visit to YS this week and want to be sure to leave enough daylight. Could anyone confirm the trail length?
stritz

Postby blamp28 » September 29th, 2009, 4:14 pm

There have been a few minor re-routes but nothing that would add two miles (I Wish). I rode the trail last Tuesday and recorded 13.4 or something close to that before cooling down with a couple laps of the campground.
blamp28

Postby sworks88 » September 29th, 2009, 4:27 pm

blamp28 wrote:There have been a few minor re-routes but nothing that would add two miles (I Wish). I rode the trail last Tuesday and recorded 13.4 or something close to that before cooling down with a couple laps of the campground.

I agree with the 13.4 miles. The re-routes only added about .3 overall! Have a good ride.
sworks88

Postby ReidRules18 » October 1st, 2009, 8:54 pm

Trail is in great shape (rode 9-29) on Tuesday. Fast with no trees down.
ReidRules18

Postby kms662 » October 1st, 2009, 9:16 pm

A couple days of rain and cool fall weather have resulted in packed dirt and manageable sand...and also helped my performance peak, took ALL the climbs clean tonight, even that real technical monster around the 10 mile mark, wish sundown didn't come so soon...love this trail.
kms662

Postby ReidRules18 » October 4th, 2009, 3:48 pm

Rode yesterday (Saturday 10-3) and removed a couple of down branches from the rain. This trail is in excellent shape after a rain and the sand is manageable. On the warm-up loop I scrathed my face on a picker bush hanging over the trail so just and FYI.

-Reid
ReidRules18

Postby Dennis_Pitz » October 7th, 2009, 1:11 pm

Rode Deep Lake with a couple of friends today. The trail is damp but tight. Lots and lots of small sticks in the trail. We moved all of the smaller trees out of the trail, but there are three remaining that will need a chainsaw and work crew. The first is a little over two miles in from the parking lot, the next is about 5 miles and the last one is about 7. (These distances do not include the warm up loop.) That middle one is the top of a large hardwood that snapped right in two about 18 feet up and the top came down right into the trail.

Dennis.
Dennis_Pitz

Postby skierduderules » October 9th, 2009, 5:31 pm

Will the trail be ridable Saturday afternoon - or too wet?
skierduderules

Postby sworks88 » October 9th, 2009, 5:38 pm

skierduderules wrote:Will the trail be ridable Saturday afternoon - or too wet?

From my experience the rain only make the trail better. The only part that may be wet will be the 2 mile warm up loop on the north side. Other than that portion you should be good.
sworks88

Postby skierduderules » October 11th, 2009, 11:03 am

Thanks sworks88 - Trail could not have been better - rode at 4ish Saturday afternoon - my first time to YS. Sand was damp and well packed and gravel was firm - a little greasy stuff in a couple low areas, one very small mud pit, a handful of stray sticks from last weeks winds - All in all near perfect conditions for this trail.
skierduderules

Postby ReidRules18 » October 29th, 2009, 9:39 pm

Went out today for a bit. The trail is in good shape, but be careful as there is a bit of leave cover now and it covers the roots and rocks and makes corning a tad challanging. Good hard trail surface remains. I noticed there are quite a bit of riders out there getting ready for Iceman judging from the amount of cars at the trailhead.

-Reid
ReidRules18

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions