Western: Cannonsburg SGA

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Cannonsburg SGA

Postby cramer » August 24th, 2011, 8:37 am

Hard to believe it's closing for the season in just three more weeks. Ride it while you can!
cramer

Postby kms662 » August 27th, 2011, 10:59 am

Looks like someone went down on the first bridge in section four. The first post for the handrail is pushed way over. Wonder if the person that hit it was thankful it was there...or not?!!?
kms662

Postby RickPlite » August 29th, 2011, 7:18 pm

three trees down in section four. all of them between the last climb and the parking lot, near the old map post.
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby cramer » August 30th, 2011, 2:19 pm

RickPlite wrote:three trees down in section four. all of them between the last climb and the parking lot, near the old map post.

Removed
cramer

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » August 31st, 2011, 11:54 am

cramer wrote:Hard to believe it's closing for the season in just three more weeks. Ride it while you can!

Is Sept. 14th the last riding day of the season?
LuckyCharm4x4

Postby cramer » August 31st, 2011, 2:26 pm

LuckyCharm4x4 wrote:
cramer wrote:Hard to believe it's closing for the season in just three more weeks. Ride it while you can!

Is Sept. 14th the last riding day of the season?

Word!
cramer

Postby blamp28 » August 31st, 2011, 2:51 pm

Sucks
blamp28

Postby yamaha13 » August 31st, 2011, 8:04 pm

You can still ride there you just have to wear you antler helmet, a brown jacket and don't forget to put a white hanky in your back pocket. Lots of luck!
yamaha13

Postby Go_Green » September 1st, 2011, 7:54 pm

That 'sink hole' or whatever you want to call it, on the fast down hill in part 2 of the trail rewarded a mtber with an ambulance ride to the hospital. This was at the end of July. He managed to crawl to the house and guess what, the lady that lives there is a nurse.

The last thing I want to do is dumb down a trail so we may want to throw a caution sign there.
Go_Green

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » September 1st, 2011, 7:59 pm

That same trail caught my GF by surprise and over the handle bars she went. She's thought that she broke her wrist but it ended up being a sprain. She's not saying the trail is bad just that she'll be more careful next time. She doesn't see a reason to dumb it down either.
LuckyCharm4x4

Postby cramer » September 2nd, 2011, 12:11 pm

Repairing a hole in the trail that wasn't there a few months ago is no more dumbing down the trail than removing a downed tree or trimming back brush. It's just putting things back the way they were. Unintended erosion and the resulting roots, sand, drop offs and trenches should not be considered technical trail features.
cramer

Postby ignition16 » September 2nd, 2011, 12:21 pm

cramer wrote:Repairing a hole in the trail that wasn't there a few months ago is no more dumbing down the trail than removing a downed tree or trimming back brush. It's just putting things back the way they were. Unintended erosion and the resulting roots, sand, drop offs and trenches should not be considered technical trail features.

I'll second this. I love technical features, but I'm not a fan of huge dangerous destructive sand pits. Fixing it would only improve the trail. There are still plenty of other techical and difficult sections on that trail.
ignition16

Postby Go_Green » September 2nd, 2011, 5:24 pm

The point was not to remove all the character of the downhill. Yes, really that simple.
Go_Green

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » September 3rd, 2011, 9:54 am

cramer wrote:. Unintended erosion and the resulting roots, sand, drop offs and trenches should not be considered technical trail features.

Maybe not but when everyone else is dumbing down the trails to flat and boring its all we have, :( and its fun and challenging for those of us that know how to ride it. I went down hard into a tree at that last big sand pit after the bridge crossing in section 4 and got lucky i didnt break anything. U dont hear me saying we should fix and fill that section. If u dont like it stick to the road. :wink:
Ride or Die
Just Ride
Specialized SL Pro
G.R.XC-MTNBKR

Postby Go_Green » September 4th, 2011, 9:53 pm

That sand pit in section 4 was DEEP for awhile. Seems fine now.

I didn't think people were cutting corners too bad this year. Last year it seemed like riders wanted the trail to be straight. Couple spots people have cut the corners, but overall not bad.

The sand don't bother me. The only place I've almost bit it was entering part 3. That gravel is slippery. Can be a challenge when you come screaming down the hill and hit that banked turn only to land in that deep gravel.

Rode out there today. Zero trail issues. Going to miss this trail when it closes. Just not feeling CSA or Luton this year. I'll cruise Robinettes.
Go_Green

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions