MCMBA: Proud Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Proud Lake

Postby billips1002 » June 18th, 2010, 2:30 pm

amadkins wrote:Yes. Loop 1 is to be avoided, and Loop 2 is only a means to get to 3 and 4. All the good parts are on 3 and 4.

OK, I'll head back next week and ride Loops 3 and 4 before I rule out any future visits!
billips1002

Postby Steve_Balogh » June 20th, 2010, 7:46 pm

Went out and did loops 4&3 today (Sunday), loop 4 was a bit overgrown and muddy in several sections, loop 3 was much better. No other trail users in sight, saw one set of fresh horse-shoe prints. Judging by the amount of spider webs I plowed through, loop 4 has not seen much use lately. Looks like everyone including the equestrians are doing 3.

For those of you new to PL, take a map with you for loop 4 if you don't have a guide - lots of trails unmarked, I sort of know my way around via Builder Bill, but the signage on 4 is a bit odd.
Steve_Balogh

Postby froggyrider » June 23rd, 2010, 8:22 pm

Welcome to John Con, new assistant Trail Coordinator for Proud Lake! You and Bill will do a great job!
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Postby hopsbag » June 29th, 2010, 8:27 pm

I rode the connector from South Hill to Old Plank, then did a full circuit of all the loops tonite. What a beautiful evening in the woods! Conditions vary on all the loops, with some areas freshly mowed and others where the trail is barely discernible in the weeds. I got some nice welts on my shins and ankles. All the usual muddy spots are firming up now, except for one spot on the connector. Watch out on the gravel washes. The recent rains have left them full of loose cobbles, especially the downhills on loops 3 & 4. As usual, not another soul was to be seen on the trail tonite. I only noticed a few other bike tracks.
hopsbag

Postby WICCMB » July 5th, 2010, 11:05 pm

Rode all 4 loops today - on the section of loop 4 which runs along the railroad tracks, there are 2 trees down - 1 suspended above the ground, and 1 laying on the ground (small enough to hop over). The big downhill on loop 4 was a little sketchy today. The rest of the trail was in good shape, although beginning to get overgrown in places.

The horseflies in the powerline area of loop 1 were BRUTAL. I have NEVER encountered anything like that before....I had dozens of them attacking me while I was riding at speed!
WICCMB
Administrator

Postby ihateplaindave » July 15th, 2010, 7:29 am

Did the Kensington Connector and most of Loops 4 and 2 last night. Best shape I've seen in awhile: almost no mud, almost no horse sh1t, no trees down, some face/arm/leg slappers in the open areas. Bug free til 7:10 then it was like a bug explosion. Decided not to do Loop 1 and took the road back into Milford.
ihateplaindave

Postby Spinwheel » July 15th, 2010, 8:26 pm

I got some some nice cuts on loop 4 last night so considering doing some weed whipping and pruning Saturday am or Sunday am. I could use one other person - if anyone's interested pls pm - would be appreciated and I cleared it with the TC.

Loop 3 has two large poison ivey patches hugging the trail near the RxR crossing end of the loop - use caution there.
See you on the trail
Spinwheel

Postby froggyrider » July 15th, 2010, 9:36 pm

Thanks for helping, Tim. I hope someone can help! We have loppers in the trailer if anyone needs to "check them out" like from a library!
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Postby ihateplaindave » July 16th, 2010, 8:15 am

I also got some cuts on Wed evening. I could help on Sunday around 11 or 11:30. I am immune to poison ivy (so far) so I can handle the Loop 3 problem. Let me know.
ihateplaindave

Postby Spinwheel » July 17th, 2010, 9:39 pm

Thanks guys! .. My weed whip broke this morning as I was getting warmed up - so its in the shop. I managed to get soome pruning done. Situation improved. More to do.
See you on the trail
Spinwheel

Postby froggyrider » July 18th, 2010, 11:25 am

Don't forget to submit you FAFL hours to the TC or metrousouthATmmba.org. We want to let the parks know how many hours our volunteers put in on these trails each year.
froggyrider

Postby froggyrider » July 21st, 2010, 9:17 pm

We rode out to Loop 4 at it was a BLAST! There really aren't face slappers, but there sure are leg slappers based on the height of the overgrowth. So, no sight lines are obscured, but it did make for a scratchy ride. Boy, in those woods you really feel like you are so far away from suburbia... it's great!
froggyrider

Postby J/C » July 28th, 2010, 10:57 am

I hiked Loop 1 last night and it's in good shape. Some leg scrapers by the power lines. Not much horse evidence at all.
I would have been riding but I think I fractured a rib last weekend in an ill-fated slip'n'slide attempt.
-John
J/C

Postby froggyrider » July 29th, 2010, 11:05 pm

I was intrigued by your "lack of *beep*" notice, so we rode most of Loop 1 tonight, along with the last half of loop 4 and some of loop 2 with some dirt roads in between. Loop 1 was in great shape- a little bumpy from the horse shoes, but very little *beep*. The slappers in general are here and there but not a show stopper yet. There are more sticks on the trail due to winds than slappers right now. The downhills on Loop 4 are getting washed out with loose rocks, so watch out for some tricky slippy parts ! It was a beautiful night for a ride after work. I love these country rides which I call "daycations." ...a few hours' escape from the concrete jungle called life! Proud Lake is great for that with so few people around. Come out and ride, folks!
froggyrider

Postby froggyrider » August 5th, 2010, 8:33 pm

Rode the 2nd half of Loop Four and all of Loop Three- the Loop of Pain. The washed out downhills with lots of loose rocks make my sphincter wince.... :shock: But for those of you braver than I am (which is just about everybody), it is rideable. Just be careful! Didn't see very many hockey pucks at all, just some knee slappers and areas that could use a good mowing on the two track between loops. The view from the top of the Loop of Pain was phenomenal!
froggyrider

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions