MCMBA: Proud Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Proud Lake

Postby Spinwheel » June 12th, 2012, 9:42 pm

Great map Dave!
Rode through on south side of L1 and N. side of L4 - smooth and fast tonight - All was in great shape minus the usual sand on the L2 bypass. Thanks for the mowing too...
See you on the trail
Spinwheel

Postby mwilson7 » June 25th, 2012, 8:57 pm

So I printed out the maps and decided to give Proud Lake another go. Came in from the Kensington connector side so I started on loop 4. Ended up making a wrong turn on loop 1. Couldn't find the enterance to loop 2 because it appears to start right next to the road when if fact it starts about 1/4 mile from it (or so). Also got turned around on loop 3 and then on loop 4 I ended up taking the horse trail back to the Kensington connector.

I will eventually learn this trail as it's really a fun trail but you would probably increase the traffic 10X if the trails were just clearly marked. It really is a shame because I was really surprised at just how fun this trail is but the frustration I experienced trying to find my way around really put a damper on my ride. Im not sure how one would go about properly labeling this trail but I'd be willing to help.

If it wasn't for the sand and horse crap everywhere this would be a great trail!

Dave - I'm going to send you an email with some suggestions on your map. I think it's a great idea and with the way this trail is set up a map is definitely needed.
Mark
mwilson7

Postby Loren » June 25th, 2012, 9:02 pm

fwiw, it's not for a lack of trying. Signs that we've added have been removed and destroyed.
Loren

Postby irishpitbull » June 25th, 2012, 9:25 pm

mwilson7 wrote:So I printed out the maps and decided to give Proud Lake another go. Came in from the Kensington connector side so I started on loop 4. Ended up making a wrong turn on loop 1. Couldn't find the enterance to loop 2 because it appears to start right next to the road when if fact it starts about 1/4 mile from it (or so). Also got turned around on loop 3 and then on loop 4 I ended up taking the horse trail back to the Kensington connector.

I will eventually learn this trail as it's really a fun trail but you would probably increase the traffic 10X if the trails were just clearly marked. It really is a shame because I was really surprised at just how fun this trail is but the frustration I experienced trying to find my way around really put a damper on my ride. Im not sure how one would go about properly labeling this trail but I'd be willing to help.

If it wasn't for the sand and horse crap everywhere this would be a great trail!

Dave - I'm going to send you an email with some suggestions on your map. I think it's a great idea and with the way this trail is set up a map is definitely needed.

If you want to go out again shoot me a PM. Thanks to Builder Bob, I'm a Proud Lake Expert. :wink:
irishpitbull

Postby mwilson7 » June 26th, 2012, 4:48 am

Loren wrote:fwiw, it's not for a lack of trying. Signs that we've added have been removed and destroyed.

What about just marking the loops with no reference to biking? It seems that the hiking signs have been left alone? so maybe that's a way around it? All I needed was a sign that says "loop 2 ---> "

I'm not *beep* but it's disappointing because the trails pretty good.
Mark
mwilson7

Postby Roy » June 26th, 2012, 8:02 am

You could try the type of signs used at River Bends trail in Utica. The signs are small (6"x6") mounted high in trees.
A Vandal would need a ladder to remove these signs.

Roy
Roy

Postby mwilson7 » June 26th, 2012, 8:13 am

or a horse.......
Mark
mwilson7

Postby davedejonge » June 26th, 2012, 11:22 am

Or a shotgun.
davedejonge

Postby irishpitbull » June 26th, 2012, 11:23 am

Or a fork lift
irishpitbull

Postby davedejonge » June 27th, 2012, 10:22 pm

I created a new map, thanks to Mark Wilson for the GPS data.

PM me for a pdf of same. You can zoom in much better on the pdf.

this has pretty much every side trail that is noticeable, If you noticed any major mistakes, let me know and I will update.

GPS data gives a total distance of 9.5 miles for all 4 loops.

Edit - if anyone can host the PDF I would be happy to send it to them so it can be linked in this thread.

davedejonge

Postby Double T » June 29th, 2012, 12:22 am

Went for a ride this evening at PL and ended up finishing with my night lamp on. I'm feeling Island Lake/Brighton Rec. burnout and am glad I tried something new. My only advice is to study the map before hand and approach Loop 3 with caution. Loop 3 had some monster hills that were too tough for my single speed.
Double T

Postby Builder-Bill » July 1st, 2012, 1:58 pm

davedejonge wrote:I created a new map, thanks to Mark Wilson for the GPS data.

PM me for a pdf of same. You can zoom in much better on the pdf.

this has pretty much every side trail that is noticeable, If you noticed any major mistakes, let me know and I will update.

GPS data gives a total distance of 9.5 miles for all 4 loops.

Edit - if anyone can host the PDF I would be happy to send it to them so it can be linked in this thread.

Nice job on the map.
Bill
Builder-Bill

Postby Builder-Bill » July 1st, 2012, 2:19 pm

Double T wrote:Went for a ride this evening at PL and ended up finishing with my night lamp on. I'm feeling Island Lake/Brighton Rec. burnout and am glad I tried something new. My only advice is to study the map before hand and approach Loop 3 with caution. Loop 3 had some monster hills that were too tough for my single speed.

That is way loop 3 is called "The loop of pain"... Lol When you think the climb is over , you turn the corner...
....Surprise a wall is in front of you. :lol: Be careful just past the wall , as you drop into the field. .. that drop is rough. We already had one broken collar bone there this year...
Bill
Builder-Bill

Postby davedejonge » July 3rd, 2012, 1:51 pm

Builder-Bill wrote: ....Surprise a wall is in front of you. :lol: Be careful just past the wall , as you drop into the field. .. that drop is rough. We already had one broken collar bone there this year...
Bill

I live just above that drop, the mowed path goes to my backyard.
If you ever need help in a medical come my way rather than walking it out.
davedejonge

Postby Hermannator » July 3rd, 2012, 6:34 pm

There is a bypass on that drop for wimps like me. It is on the right just after the path to the previous posters house. Loops 3 and 4 are my favorites. They are not technically hard, just hard in a cardio/ laws of physics sorta way.
Hermannator

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions