MCMBA: Proud Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Proud Lake

Postby 1fst4drm6 » August 12th, 2010, 4:28 pm

I've gotta admit that I'm just not feeling Proud Lake at all. I've done Loops 1 & 2 a couple times and was unimpressed. After hearing that 3 & 4 are where the fun is at, I rode out there this afternoon. With the exception of alot of horse crap Loop 4 was decent I suppose. 1 big tree down about half way through it. Lots of thorny vines arcing across the path though which will tear up your knuckles and forearms... some right at neck height so be careful. Trail seems way overgrown and very sandy/ loose... I'm assuming from a lack of traffic through there. Loop 3 was way more overgrown.

I doubt I'll be back to proud lake... it just can't compete with the trails at Maybury, PLRA, Highland, and even Hickory Glen.
1fst4drm6

Postby froggyrider » August 12th, 2010, 6:24 pm

Sounds like it just needs some trimming is all... But, there are enough trails to go around for everyone's tastes!!
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Postby Spinwheel » August 18th, 2010, 8:31 pm

More trimming done on L4 - the through route to the K Connector should be just about thorn-free. Saw no bikes and lots of horse doo.
See you on the trail
Spinwheel

Postby froggyrider » August 18th, 2010, 9:29 pm

Thanks, Tim! Alas, I won't be able to ride there again until next week... :(

Submit your FAFL hours, please. ;)
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Postby Spinwheel » August 20th, 2010, 12:01 am

yw, sent you the trail hours too.
See you on the trail
Spinwheel

Postby Spinwheel » August 24th, 2010, 10:54 pm

L1 was trimmed a few days ago (not by me) and most trimmings fell on the trail. The K_connector was mowed and has a few nice fast sections!
See you on the trail
Spinwheel

Postby froggyrider » August 24th, 2010, 11:05 pm

great- I plan to ride out there Thursday.
froggyrider

Postby froggyrider » August 26th, 2010, 8:41 pm

Trail was not as dusty as I would have expected for the lack of rain. Thus, the plops from the horses were also more prevalent. It made for a fun ride avoiding several obstacles. The connector was awesome going east to west... All downhill! We rode part of loop 2 and 4.
froggyrider

Postby Spinwheel » September 5th, 2010, 8:50 pm

L3 and 4 overgrowth is receeding as fall sets in. L3 also has 4x4 tracks which have pushed some of the 6 ft. tall grass out of the way.
Loop 1 is prime.
Many horse piles to plow over and through...
See you on the trail
Spinwheel

Postby J/C » September 20th, 2010, 2:50 pm

Heads up everyone: on Sunday, October 3 the Proud Lake Trail Riders will be having a horse ride at the park. Please choose to ride another trail system that day to avoid hassle for yourself and the equestrians. Thanks.
John Cox
Asst. Trail Coordinator (still in training)
J/C

Postby J/C » September 23rd, 2010, 8:32 am

Loop 1 in good shape last night.

I found a dog! If you're in the area and see or hear anything about a lost dog, let me know. I came home from work yesterday and the dog was sitting on my porch. Sitting in the plastic chair on my porch. A female pit bull (mix?), brown with white belly, feet and tail tip, black nose. Black collar with no tags. Suspicious that it could have been dropped off; she is a little too friendly and high energy - likes to jump up on you... She pretty much kept up with me all through loop 1, though!

Also be aware that small game season began Sept 15. I am hearing a bit of blasting going on... Might want to wear orange or something bright while in the woods and expect to see folks tromping around with guns....

John
J/C

Postby WICCMB » September 23rd, 2010, 10:08 pm

J/C wrote:Also be aware that small game season began Sept 15. I am hearing a bit of blasting going on... Might want to wear orange or something bright while in the woods and expect to see folks tromping around with guns....

So true!! I was out there on Wednesday Sept. 15 (wearing my usual green jersey)....and was feeling a little vulnerable as I passed a father and son carrying their guns on the double track. A few minutes later, we heard numerous shots from their direction! :shock:
WICCMB
Administrator

Postby froggyrider » September 23rd, 2010, 10:14 pm

when does gun season end at PL? We were going to plan a ride event, but we want to steer clear of the hunters...
froggyrider

Postby daffunda » September 24th, 2010, 6:53 am

WishIcouldcatchmybreath wrote:
J/C wrote:Also be aware that small game season began Sept 15. I am hearing a bit of blasting going on... Might want to wear orange or something bright while in the woods and expect to see folks tromping around with guns....

So true!! I was out there on Wednesday Sept. 15 (wearing my usual green jersey)....and was feeling a little vulnerable as I passed a father and son carrying their guns on the double track. A few minutes later, we heard numerous shots from their direction! :shock:

Angry equestrians, pile of horse crap on the trail, and now people with shotguns... :roll:
~www.trails-edge.com~

DISCLAIMER: The posts I make or have made in the past are strictly MY OPINION, AKA my two cents, and NOT in ANY WAY opinions of the MMBA or its associates. It is recommended to take it for what it is worth, which is two cents.
daffunda

Postby ibisman » September 24th, 2010, 8:27 am

Come on, my friends and I have ridden ILRA area during hunting season for 20 years Thursday and Tuesday mornings and only one time did we have a problem and that was the dude thought it would be funny to have his hunting dogs chase us. "get 'em dog he,he". Just make noise and there is nothing to worry about. Its the bow hunters.... :roll:
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
32,845.5 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike trail miles--:1416
2016 miles..... 228 1/2 :)

Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails
ibisman

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions