How does one propose a new pump track at maybury?

Trail Building and Design discussion. This was formerly the restricted access MMBA/REI trail school program forum.

How does one propose a new pump track at maybury?

Postby rcab23 » April 4th, 2018, 1:35 pm

To keep it quick, I was just wondering who/where to go to maybe get a design going for a pump track/skills area in maybury. Google maps satellite shows tons of open spaces and spots that hold great potential for a fun new area. Im thinking something similiar to either novi tree farm or even more awesome - bandemer park in ann arbor. I would love to get feedback from local riders and designers to build something cool. We could all chat about it for awhile and discuss further as we get more information. Im just a 26 year old engineer who loves to send it.
rcab23

Re: How does one propose a new pump track at maybury?

Postby WICCMB » April 4th, 2018, 2:13 pm

Great question! Is this a proposal that you are interested in spearheading/organizing/helping build, or are you simply interested in riding such a location if it existed?

Any such proposal would need to be blessed/supported by the local park manager. A good place to begin would be to make contact with the MCMBA trail coordinator for Maybury (user "chisbang" on this forum). He should be able to give you insight on the current situation at Maybury, and whether there is any chance of such a proposal being given the green light.
WICCMB
Administrator

Postby c0nsumer » April 4th, 2018, 2:15 pm

Get a hold of the Trail Coordinator via MCMBA. They have a relationship between the park and MTB community.

Beyond this, be ready to be the person to put in the work, from the proposal through design to overseeing construction (digging yourself, and leading others) and on to maintenance. I don't mean to try and dismiss your idea here -- because it's a good one -- but lots of folks have ideas of what could go where, but then the idea lacks anyone to see it through. If you are willing to see the project through from start to finish it can be hugely successful. The idea is just about 4% of getting it done.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby c0nsumer » April 4th, 2018, 2:16 pm

Ha! Sorry, Jon! Looks like we're both saying about the same thing.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby rcab23 » April 4th, 2018, 2:43 pm

Hey thanks for the fast and helpful replies. In a nutshell, yes, I dont mind taking control and/or getting my hands dirty. I know its easier said than done to design and build a course, I just wanted to make sure I got approval first, and any public input as this will not be only my track. Ill cross those bridges as I get to them I guess. Ill try and get this rolling here in the next few weeks and if all goes well, hopefully we can have a badass addition to a great park in the next year or two.
rcab23

Postby Loren » April 4th, 2018, 2:47 pm

Dirt pump tracks are very labor intensive. There are two pump tracks near you, Lakeshore (MCMBA) and Morton Taylor (Poto), and the coordinators are always looking for more hands to help out if you want to get more involved and learn the skills necessary to build and maintain.

Our next MCMBA chapter skills area investment is planned for Hines Park.

And if you haven't read the IMBA bike parks book, I recommend doing that as a next step.
Loren

Postby Allmountin » April 7th, 2018, 8:11 pm

Let me preface by saying that I'm in no way an expert, but... we are just getting into revamping an existing track and skills area near Lansing. It's a different situation, since our track is pre-existing, but in need of some love. My $0.02.

A super chill young lady I know decided to get the ball rolling by contacting the township parks and rec. She prepared a proposal outlining the existing state of things, with pictures, and examples of improvements we'd like to make, and expected materials needed. If you can gather pics of existing pump tracks that you'd like to emulate, maybe a proposed layout, and any asks that you'd have of the DNR, that would be a good start. If you want any skills features, put those examples in there as well. Maybe a good idea to utilize local chapter, rather than approaching the land manager yourself.

Location. Two major considerations would be a nearby water supply(pump/pond/creek) and accessibility for equipment for initial build up. You're obviously going to be moving a lot of dirt. A reliable water source is important, or at least access to bring in water from outside source. Flatter land is likely best, but if you have a mild pitch, you'll likely want to build across the contour, not up and down it. Our track has a mild pitch, with it running lengthwise up and down it. It is fast downhill, and a LOT more challenging back up, even with a slight grade. It would be better, were it to run horizontally across the grade, losing/gaining slight elevation in the turns. Pumping uphill is hard, and not beginner friendly. Avoid.

Dirt. Ours is currently supplied by the township, courtesy of other department projects. The upside is free. The downside is it's not sorted(gravelly), and less than ideal(and variable) clay content. If sourcing your own, I've seen suggestions for baseball diamond clay($$$$), and various higher clay content soils, but ALWAYS sorted. Ours is definitely rockier than we'd like.

Welcome to Pump Track Nation is a good resource, and there are some good discussions on Ridemonkey, Bermstyle, and MTBR that you can search out, with some design examples and inspiration. Some guidelines for height/spacing of rollers and berm radii. 180 degree berms aren't ideal. Two 90 degree berms with roller is superior. Read much. Build right first time.

I've started putting in shovel time and am pretty excited to get our track back to spec, and then hopefully adding and improving. Good luck.
Allmountin

Return to Trail Design, Building, and Maintenance