Poto: Lakelands Trail

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Poto: Lakelands Trail

Postby Todd Scott » March 29th, 2004, 11:58 pm

Post trail conditions and problem reports for the trails at Lakelands Trail
Todd Scott

Postby Mr.B » March 30th, 2004, 12:15 am

Trail was Dry and rideable as of Thurs.25th. 1 tree across the trail .02 mi. past the airstrip on M-36. Needs more bike traffic, alot of hoof prints and some 4 wheeler tracks.
Mr.B

Postby bunk » July 24th, 2004, 10:47 pm

Lots of hoof prints between Kelly Rd and town of Gregory. Makes for a very bumpy ride, great for all your Paris Roubaix fantasies. Smooths out quite a bit between Gregory and Stockbridge. Some softer sandy spots to watch for.
bunk

Re: Potawatomi: Lakelands Trail

Postby bill_m » August 3rd, 2009, 11:27 am

Potawatomi Chapter President
Join the Poto Chapter e-mail list: MMBA-Poto-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
bill_m

Postby Mr Wonderful » August 5th, 2012, 9:20 am

Stop ahead sign down just east of the 5.5 mile marker in the paved section.

Unless you like bike whacking, the eastern terminus is not as Google suggests at the curve on M36 by Maxey. Best to bail off or enter on Hamburg.
Mr Wonderful

Postby glr » December 22nd, 2013, 7:04 pm

Don't know if anyone has been out on the sections west of Stockbridge in a while (or ever for that matter) but there has been some significant work done going toward Jackson. It is still a little rough, but not near what it used to be. With colder weather coming, it might be a fun ride one it refreezes. Especially for some of you fat bike owners (yes, I to am jealous of you!).
Grass Lake S+T Park - TC
<><
Yeah, the fatbike is mine...
glr

Re: Poto: Lakelands Trail

Postby hobit » February 14th, 2017, 9:17 pm

Two things:
#1 I noticed that a lot of posts seem to be missing. The top says "15 of 15 posts" but I'm only seeing 6. I know I've posted here in the past, so _something_ is wrong.
#2 Anyone have any feedback on the status of the trail? Thinking of riding from Hamburg to Stockbridge on Sunday, but wanted to check in on how doable that is. I don't have a fatbike, but I do have fairly wide tires (2 inch across maybe?).

Thanks,
hobit

Postby tadraper » February 14th, 2017, 9:36 pm

I have ridden tandem from Hamburg to Stockbridge on the trails no issues. There are a few horse ares that get choppy but not to bad. Any bike should be able to ride this trail.
2017 Salsa Powderkeg
2016 C-Dale T1 Tandem
2010 Gary Fisher Triton SS with my son
tadraper

Postby hobit » February 14th, 2017, 9:51 pm

Just to be clear: have you ridden it recently? I ride the trail fairly often from March to October, but I was worried it would be too wet to ride right now. But with the wonderful weather coming, I'd really like to take a shot.

Thanks!
hobit

Postby tadraper » February 14th, 2017, 10:32 pm

LMAO nope not this year yet!! to cold for my wife but anything is possible with the temps this weekend!!
2017 Salsa Powderkeg
2016 C-Dale T1 Tandem
2010 Gary Fisher Triton SS with my son
tadraper

Postby hobit » April 7th, 2019, 7:47 am

Anyone know what's going on on the Lakelands trail just east of Stockbridge (and west for that matter)?

Looks like ~9 miles of construction. Perhaps with the intent of paving the whole section in Unadilla township (or more). Also, as of Saturday, the trail west of Stockbridge was closed. The other parts had seen tree cutting, a black plastic fabric put up on both sides, and the trail stripped down a bit (basically down to dirt, no gravel left) with small berms on either side.
hobit

Postby DynoDon » April 7th, 2019, 8:11 am

Border 2 Border,, (Washtenaw to Livingston Countires trail) is on its way up to Stockbridge, and through Poto to Lakeland trail, from what I"ve read on the Border 2 Border stuff I've been reading, that may have something to do with it, I've seen work along side of Huron River Drive between Ann Arbor and Dexter. I'm really not sure, but could be.
When was the first bicycle race?
When the second one was built !!!
DynoDon

Postby hobit » April 7th, 2019, 10:16 am

DynoDon wrote:Border 2 Border,, (Washtenaw to Livingston Countires trail) is on its way up to Stockbridge, and through Poto to Lakeland trail, from what I"ve read on the Border 2 Border stuff I've been reading, that may have something to do with it, I've seen work along side of Huron River Drive between Ann Arbor and Dexter. I'm really not sure, but could be.

Maybe. But I generally track what's going on with the B2B trail pretty well, and I've not seen anything about this.
hobit

Postby jmf003 » April 7th, 2019, 4:17 pm

Seems to be a separate project from the B2B initiative: https://www.livingstondaily.com/story/n ... 356372002/
jmf003

Postby bender16v » April 7th, 2019, 9:51 pm

The article states that the State Park extends to "Hawkins Road in Henrietta Township in Jackson County". I'm guessing that is the land available and not trail. I rode it as far west as I could last summer which was a few miles short of Hawkins. It's an adventure when you get past Stockbridge but wouldn't take too much work to make it ride-able, just some mowing would go a long way. I gave up when the grass was above my knees.

The article also says the east extension will go to Whitmore Lake Rd. Will it be best to cross 23 at 9 Mile to get to Fieldcrest? I don't think Silver Lake Rd. is a very friendly interchange for connecting to Island Lake.
bender16v

Next

Return to Trail Conditions