Newer trail at Highland

Everything related to mountain biking that's not covered in the forums below

Newer trail at Highland

Postby ihateplaindave » May 16th, 2019, 1:09 pm

Does anyone know if there is map of the E Loop at Highland?
ihateplaindave

Re: Newer trail at Highland

Postby c0nsumer » May 16th, 2019, 1:11 pm

ihateplaindave wrote:Does anyone know if there is map of the E Loop at Highland?

https://www.trailforks.com/region/milford-trail/
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby Paul Brown » May 16th, 2019, 1:30 pm

So there is no map or is there no E Loop?
Paul Brown

Postby crustaceous_flora » May 16th, 2019, 3:30 pm

E loop as in, that garbage trail at the north part of the system that extends west of the parking lot? It's extra miles, but honestly don't even check that out, it's not worth it lol. That should not be considered an official loop of Highland, it is nothing like the actual trail. Just warm up on the gravel roads imo.

However there is some secret-ish singletrack off of C-Loop, if you look hard enough :)
crustaceous_flora

Postby flamingo » May 16th, 2019, 4:12 pm

crustaceous_flora wrote:E loop as in, that garbage trail at the north part of the system that extends west of the parking lot? It's extra miles, but honestly don't even check that out, it's not worth it lol. That should not be considered an official loop of Highland, it is nothing like the actual trail. Just warm up on the gravel roads imo.

However there is some secret-ish singletrack off of C-Loop, if you look hard enough :)

Any trail is better than no trail. You may want to express your opinion directly to the trail coordinator :wink: who spent a good chunk of his time clearing the E-loop. Yes its character is definitively different and easier than ABCD, but I rather do that as a warmup than the gravel roads. Actually the way I do the warmup I ride A all the way to "McDonalds" hill where you are few feet away from the return on A. This way I warm up doing come climbs. And if you are in a mood for a longer adventure you can use the secretish exit at C and ride few miles to the Milford trail.
Let's make 26ers great again!
flamingo

Postby crustaceous_flora » May 16th, 2019, 6:37 pm

flamingo wrote:
crustaceous_flora wrote:E loop as in, that garbage trail at the north part of the system that extends west of the parking lot? It's extra miles, but honestly don't even check that out, it's not worth it lol. That should not be considered an official loop of Highland, it is nothing like the actual trail. Just warm up on the gravel roads imo.

Any trail is better than no trail. You may want to express your opinion directly to the trail coordinator :wink: who spent a good chunk of his time clearing the E-loop. Yes its character is definitively different and easier than ABCD, but I rather do that as a warmup than the gravel roads. Actually the way I do the warmup I ride A all the way to "McDonalds" hill where you are few feet away from the return on A. This way I warm up doing come climbs. And if you are in a mood for a longer adventure you can use the secretish exit at C and ride few miles to the Milford trail.

Sorry, that came off as really rude haha. Any trail is indeed better than none. I should've said calling it E-loop is just insulting to Highland Recreation Area :)
crustaceous_flora

Postby amadkins » May 16th, 2019, 7:09 pm

c0nsumer wrote:
ihateplaindave wrote:Does anyone know if there is map of the E Loop at Highland?

https://www.trailforks.com/region/milford-trail/

This is what I was thinking.

I’ve been going out to Highland for years and never considered anything outside of the ABCD route.
amadkins

Postby c0nsumer » May 17th, 2019, 5:37 am

There's two trails I've heard referred to as E. The super-old-school fall line thing off the corner of the parking lot, and the straight-over-the-hill shot from the C loop / horse trail connector to Beaumont to Pettitbone. I'm really not sure I'd consider either worth riding unless you're just poking around, though.

Now, I've heard a lot of folks refer to Milford as Highland E Loop... And it's pretty easy to jaunt over from the C or D loops to Milford, ride there, then head back.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby flamingo » May 17th, 2019, 7:05 am

crustaceous_flora wrote:
flamingo wrote:

Sorry, that came off as really rude haha. Any trail is indeed better than none. I should've said calling it E-loop is just insulting to Highland Recreation Area :)

Funny. I always call it E loop. Some people call it north loop.
Let's make 26ers great again!
flamingo

Postby Critter7r » May 17th, 2019, 3:48 pm

Until today, I thought there was a lake just past that berm on the west end of the parking lot. I rode Highland for the first time in the 90s. Ride there only a couple/few times a year.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby AllMountin' » June 1st, 2019, 9:22 pm

Rode it today as part of the milford challenge. Just a mileage adder, really, but none of my fellow riders had ever ridden it. I hadn't until a few weeks ago.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby santaclausersolo » June 5th, 2019, 6:51 am

Wow. Surprised to see the negativity towards the "E" or "north" loop off the parking lot. Especially since it's as good or better than many of the other trails in SE MI. It would be a burner if it was ridden in a little better.

I'm also digging the re-route on B loop that takes care of the constantly muddy and washed out climb, should be a real *beep* once it wears in a little and some character starts to come out.

After riding some of highland on saturday I noticed the trail is really starting to show it's age, many of the hills (up and down) are starting to show a lot more rock and root, and this couldn't make me happier.
santaclausersolo

Postby crustaceous_flora » June 5th, 2019, 1:09 pm

I'm a fan of any trail at the end of the day, but it's just dishonest calling that the E Loop, because it is absolutely nothing like the actual Highland loop, haha. That's just a beginner/warm up flat trail. Keep Highland away from the n00bs plz. :)
crustaceous_flora

Postby b_b » June 6th, 2019, 8:03 am

crustaceous_flora wrote:Keep Highland away from the n00bs plz. :)

So it's only for the elites like you? :roll:
b_b

Postby c0nsumer » June 6th, 2019, 8:08 am

AllMountin' wrote:Rode it today as part of the milford challenge. Just a mileage adder, really, but none of my fellow riders had ever ridden it. I hadn't until a few weeks ago.

I concur. It's kinda pretty, neat way to wrap up a ride, but not the sort of thing I find exciting. I'm not keen on the big gravel up/down smack dab in the middle of it.

Last time I rode it a bunch of guys were doing field trials with their dogs at the far end, and riding into a mass of ~20 people shooting guns and running dogs all over was a bit of a surprise. They were surprised to see me as well.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

c0nsumer

Next

Return to General