Poto: Brighton

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Brighton

Postby b_b » May 11th, 2019, 8:49 am

Brighton is always rideable!
b_b

Postby BigfootDenny » May 11th, 2019, 9:13 am

Brighton Trails are all PRIMO currently.
Just removed overhead tree on Torn at 2.1 mile mark... saw lots of riders.
Get out and ride !
BigfootDenny

Postby 2Old2BFast » May 14th, 2019, 3:57 pm

With all the rain this spring, I've been enjoying Brighton. It's a great place to ride when it's too wet everywhere else. I'd ridden it a couple of times in the summer and was turned off by the piles of loose sand at the bottom of the hills, but this time of year, it is very pleasant.

Maybe it's just because I haven't ridden it much, but all of the trails seem to be laid out in a way that forces me to look farther down the trail than I usually do (two or three turns ahead instead of one or two). Also, the abrupt up and down changes have forced me to be much better at gear selection.

I know everyone raves about Torn Shirt, but I think the eastern loops of Murray Lake are almost as challenging.

Finally, I want to thank whoever did all the signage -- I actually know where I am now on Lost Loop, Found Loop, etc.

Kudos to the trail coordinators.
Facts can be proven to be true. Opinions are what you choose to believe. Don't confuse your opinions with facts. 8)
2Old2BFast

Postby 2Old2BFast » May 27th, 2019, 7:08 pm

On the Brighton to do list - It would be nice if there were a sign telling people which way to go when they are returning from Murray Lake after they cross the gravel road. I met someone who turned left instead of right and was riding the wrong way.
Facts can be proven to be true. Opinions are what you choose to believe. Don't confuse your opinions with facts. 8)
2Old2BFast

Postby Mucky » May 27th, 2019, 9:18 pm

2Old2BFast wrote:On the Brighton to do list - It would be nice if there were a sign telling people which way to go when they are returning from Murray Lake after they cross the gravel road. I met someone who turned left instead of right and was riding the wrong way.

I would have to agree with this. A sign where Appleton starts, once you cross the road, would also be nice. The trail is hard to see with the weeds. My daughter has missed it twice now. And maybe some "2 way signs" on Appleton and Murray. Just as a reminder for the not so frequent visitor.

Murray was good today. A few greasy spots and a few wet spots, but all in all good.
Mucky

Postby 2Old2BFast » June 19th, 2019, 10:18 am

There's an 8" tree leaning over Appleton at about mile 0.75. It is not blocking the trail, but I can imagine it scaring beginner riders.
2Old2BFast

Postby crustaceous_flora » July 16th, 2019, 1:05 am

2Old2BFast wrote:With all the rain this spring, I've been enjoying Brighton. It's a great place to ride when it's too wet everywhere else. I'd ridden it a couple of times in the summer and was turned off by the piles of loose sand at the bottom of the hills, but this time of year, it is very pleasant.

Maybe it's just because I haven't ridden it much, but all of the trails seem to be laid out in a way that forces me to look farther down the trail than I usually do (two or three turns ahead instead of one or two). Also, the abrupt up and down changes have forced me to be much better at gear selection.

I know everyone raves about Torn Shirt, but I think the eastern loops of Murray Lake are almost as challenging.

Finally, I want to thank whoever did all the signage -- I actually know where I am now on Lost Loop, Found Loop, etc.

Kudos to the trail coordinators.

When you refer to the east loops of Murray lake, what sections are you referring to specifically? Because there's a huge section of Murray/Lost/Found/Ralphs that goes along Bauer Rd haha
crustaceous_flora

Postby 2Old2BFast » July 16th, 2019, 2:09 pm

what sections are you referring to specifically?

Probably Ralph's, Tornado Alley and maybe Found. (I ride all of them every lap, so I don't pay attention to the names of the trail sections.)
2Old2BFast

Postby 2Old2BFast » July 22nd, 2019, 7:00 pm

Tornado Alley was appropriately named. There are a lot of trees and branches down everywhere at Brighton. As of 6:00 p.m. the shortest version of Murray Lake was rideable.

I picked up everything over 1" in diameter which was blocking the trail on the rest of Murray Lake. However, I want to send out of big thank you to the folks who are spending tonight clearing the trail with their chain saws as well as the group clearing the smaller sticks from the trail.
2Old2BFast

Postby BusDriver » July 22nd, 2019, 7:07 pm

2Old2BFast wrote:Tornado Alley was appropriately named. There are a lot of trees and branches down everywhere at Brighton. As of 6:00 p.m. the shortest version of Murray Lake was rideable.

I picked up everything over 1" in diameter which was blocking the trail on the rest of Murray Lake. However, I want to send out of big thank you to the folks who are spending tonight clearing the trail with their chain saws as well as the group clearing the smaller sticks from the trail.

WIP
Should be all cleared by Wednesday.
Thanks
Life Behind Bars

http://www.wolverinebeer.com/
http://www.treefortbikes.com/
https://www.wheelsinmotion.us/

MMBA Poto Chapter Brighton Trail Coordinator
BusDriver

Postby kbankes » July 24th, 2019, 10:14 pm

Really appreciate the lumberjacks and their chainsaws. Wow that was carnage, but now virtually all cleared. Still 3 trees down and 1 is a widow maker. There is a 10 inch tree down about 3 miles into Torn. It's at the bottom of a somewhat blind descent. 1 tree down in Tornado alley. The third tree is I think about 6 miles into Torn...sorry memory fuzzy on that one.
kbankes

Poto: Brighton

Postby mtbdudex » July 25th, 2019, 5:15 am

+3000 kudos to trail cleanup crew, rode torn shirt 6:30-7:30 last night, only 1 tree down just before 4 mile marker , need to get of and climb thru it, besides that just sticks here and there .
We seemed to be only one on torn shirt then, as not setting record pace and nobody passed us.
My 15 year old and I
Via bike brain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mtbdudex

Postby 2Old2BFast » July 31st, 2019, 11:02 am

One more 12" diameter tree across the trail in Tornado Alley, just after the man-made (reinforced) drop off.
2Old2BFast

Postby BigfootDenny » July 31st, 2019, 11:16 am

Thanks... we are aware of that tree...
there were some people interested in making another log ride-over with that one... if it doesn't materialize soon it will be cleared.
BigfootDenny

Postby Steve_Kinley » August 1st, 2019, 12:11 pm

MiSCA will be holding a race on the trails Sep 15th. I would expect that a lot of scholastic MTB teams will be visiting the trails in preparation for the race. Please be courteous if passing or being passed.
Hammer Nutrition Endurance Fuels and Supplements
Save 15% off your first order by clicking the link below!
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/34155
http://www.miscabike.org
Steve_Kinley

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions