XTR V-Brake "better" modulation than MT400 Disc brakes..

Everything related to mountain biking that's not covered in the forums below

Postby mtbdudex » September 16th, 2019, 11:40 am

Background:
My 1998 26" MTB bike served me well over 21 years of use, full XTR 3 x 8 cogs.
I truly loved the XTR V-Brake modulation and 1-finger stopping ability, with it's cam mechanism.
However, the Mavic rims were going, other stuff, so it was time to put that steed aside and go modern.

Now, I "upgraded" to a Trek ProCaliber 9.6 29" with Shimano hydraulic disc, MT401 lever, MT400 caliper
7/19/2019, 2 months ago. This cost me over $2k, so I have high expectations for it.
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/mountain-bikes/cross-country-mountain-bikes/procaliber/procaliber-9-6/p/29524/?colorCode=yellow_orange

I've been riding it 2-3-4 times a week, and it's brought new life into MTB riding for me again.

However..... after 2 months of riding I'm kinda dis-appointed at the Shimano MT400 disc brakes, simply they arent 1-finger stoppage like my old XTR v-brakes are/were.

Am I expecting too much?
I bought it from 14/Haggerty cycle and fitness, dropped off today explaining my dis-pleasure with the braking modulation and what can they do about, what my options are.

Appreciate insight from you guys on this.
mtbdudex

Re: XTR V-Brake "better" modulation than MT400 Disc brakes..

Postby WICCMB » September 16th, 2019, 12:14 pm

Have you considered upgrading to XT or XTR brakes? The MT400 is an entry level version.
WICCMB
Administrator

Postby b_b » September 16th, 2019, 12:21 pm

My old shimano xt disc brakes are outstanding in every aspect including modulation and stopping power. Way better than Formula r1 brakes on newer bike. Not familiar with MT400 Acera but maybe they don't work as well slx/xt/xtr or pads/compound can make a difference too.
b_b

Postby c0nsumer » September 16th, 2019, 1:45 pm

Were the brakes ever bedded in properly? If not, you won't have good braking performance.

In my experience even low end Shimano brakes work well if set up right.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby mtbdudex » September 16th, 2019, 6:18 pm

Thx all, guess the MT400 are just middle of the road and if I want 1-finger and excellent brake modulation I'll need to upgrade ... spend $500 seems.

Never realized how spoiled I was with those old school XTR v-brakes.

As I'm aging year-year, 56 now, I'd rather spend $500 and then save my hand/wrists from fatigue.
mtbdudex

Postby c0nsumer » September 16th, 2019, 9:27 pm

FWIW, I've got low end Shimano hydraulics on my single speed, and they stop the same as the XTs on my XC bike. They lack the modulation, but they definitely bite nicely.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby Exodus » September 17th, 2019, 6:24 am

I agree with Steve. Even the low end Shimano disc brakes should stop well. I would agree about not being bled, or set up right. Possibly fouled pads.
Exodus

Postby Wingo » September 17th, 2019, 7:16 am

You need to get to at least the Deore level to get the SERVOWAVE.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/technologies/component/details/servo-wave-action.html
Wingo

Postby c0nsumer » September 17th, 2019, 7:17 am

Wingo wrote:You need to get to at least the Deore level to get the SERVOWAVE.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/technologies/component/details/servo-wave-action.html

All this really does is vary lever feel. You can still get really good brake bite without it.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

c0nsumer

Postby Critter7r » September 17th, 2019, 12:02 pm

I found a set of secondhand, but new in the box, Magura MT5s for $100. The 4-piston caliper up front works great, and the levers have a throw adjustment that allows me to brake to the point of lock-up with one finger.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby b_b » September 17th, 2019, 1:19 pm

c0nsumer wrote:
Wingo wrote:You need to get to at least the Deore level to get the SERVOWAVE.

All this really does is vary lever feel. You can still get really good brake bite without it.

But if he wants "better modulation", then perhaps an upgrade is in order?
b_b

Postby TimTucker » September 18th, 2019, 4:19 pm

Was pretty impressed by the Tektro HD-M745s that I put on my wife & son's bikes this summer. They're 4-piston and have more in common with the higher end TRP line than with what you'd normally expect from lower-end Tektro OEM brakes:
https://www.tektro.com/products.php?p=236

At only $60 / side on eBay, I wasn't able to find anything else that comes close until you start getting to more than double the price.
TimTucker

Postby santaclausersolo » September 20th, 2019, 11:16 am

I feel you on the modulation of rim brakes vs lower level disc brakes.

I am running some shimano slx on my trail bike, for a reasonably priced brake ($200-250 for a set if you search hard enough) they modulate well and have decent power.

In general I prefer and have had better luck with the sram brakes, I like the guide RSC's, but they are pricier in comparison. The new trails aren't too bad IMO.
santaclausersolo

Postby mtbdudex » September 20th, 2019, 11:30 am

Update:
My brakes are all in proper condition per mechanic at bike store. Bike has 170 miles so brakes are set in

Yesterday I rode a procaliber 9.8, $5.5k bike on sale for $4.6k, it’s brakes Shimano XT. Immediately I noticed less finger pressure needed, better modulation.

Since braking is a 70/30 where balance biased to front for now I’m going to upgrade the front only.
Cut my costs in half.
Complete levers, calipers, and rotors as a set.
I’m leaning towards the XTR.
This may meet my needs.

So for $300 this is all I need right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mtbdudex

Postby b_b » September 20th, 2019, 11:54 am

I really doubt you need to replace the rotor. I'd try with the one you already have. I don't know about the bracket. You may also be able to use what you already have, but I'm not that familiar with these brakes differences. If you do replace rotor make sure it's right type for your wheel (6-bolt or center lock).
b_b

Next

Return to General