Fatbike trail video Marquette

Everything related to mountain biking that's not covered in the forums below

Postby xycarp » November 23rd, 2019, 3:23 pm

If you are reading this forum this time of year, you should watch this video... Parts are a bit slow, but over all pretty cool.

https://vimeo.com/80405173
xycarp

Re: Fatbike trail video Marquette

Postby bbender785 » November 25th, 2019, 7:17 am

yeahhh. i like this one as much or more:

https://vimeo.com/250619117
>>>RAD
bbender785

Postby xycarp » December 8th, 2019, 3:40 pm

Nice video for sure... They make fat bikes look soooooo much fun.
xycarp

Postby mtbdudex » December 9th, 2019, 10:02 am

bbender785 wrote:yeahhh. i like this one as much or more:

https://vimeo.com/250619117

Timely, my daughter wants to be a Environmental Engineer, class of 2020, and her top college is .... Michigan Tech!
So, when I visit her while my wife and her do something ... I'll bring my fatbike and ride the trails.

But, those guys don't have any bar mitts / other on ... I'll for sure have mine.

Welcome to snowy Marquette County, Michigan where a group of snow and bike obsessed individuals have created special equipment and techniques to sculpt nearly 100 miles of meticulously maintained winter bike trails for fat tire bikes.

Client: Travel Marquette
Director/Edit: Aaron Peterson
Cinematography: Aaron Peterson, Nick Jensen, Ryan Stephens
Special thanks to the Noquemanon Trails Network and Range Area Mountain Bike Association.
mtbdudex

Postby c0nsumer » December 9th, 2019, 10:16 am

FWIW, I moved away from using Bar Mitts / Moose Mitts last year. Specifically, I've been using 45NRTH Sturmfist 4 gloves, and the bike has a carbon bar, ESI Extra Chunky grips, and plastic heat shrink tubing over the brake levers. This has all worked out great and it's just been more convenient than mitts.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby mtbdudex » December 9th, 2019, 10:57 am

c0nsumer wrote:FWIW, I moved away from using Bar Mitts / Moose Mitts last year. Specifically, I've been using 45NRTH Sturmfist 4 gloves, and the bike has a carbon bar, ESI Extra Chunky grips, and plastic heat shrink tubing over the brake levers. This has all worked out great and it's just been more convenient than mitts.

So you minimize cold heat transfer, well the warm heat transfer, by further less conductive stuff.

I tried those 45NRTH Sturmfist 4 gloves on at Motor City bikes in Brighton, this Saturday I used a pair of the Head ski gloves I’ve had 3-4 years now, there my snow blower gloves. Temps were 24-26 deg but not windy. Just my left middle finger felt slightly cool, but easily bearable.
Afterwards they had moisture, do your Sturmfist 4 keep you warm and breath? Nirvana if so.

Sent from my iPhone 11Pro using Tapatalk
mtbdudex

Postby c0nsumer » December 9th, 2019, 11:32 am

I've got a set of HEAD gloves almost exactly like those which I use for road riding. For some reason they work GREAT on drop bars, but they don't breath well. I leave the back unzipped to help.

I've never really found the Sturmfists to get sweaty, but I also only wear them when it's really cold out. I've also started to get better at keeping my core warmer with layers, which in turn keeps my hands warmer.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby mtbdudex » December 9th, 2019, 7:16 pm

I hear ya on the layering.
I’ve got my upper and lower body dialed in via layering ...

Upper 1 or 2 lightweight base layers , then the outer which blocks wind at torso but sleeves are breathing.
If 32-40 1 base layer, 24-32 2 base layers, my existing snow ski stuff.

Lower is 1 base layers with in-lined gortex ski pants .

Head is via snow ski helmet with vents and ear covers.

Feet wear ski socks with medium weight hiking boots.

Gotta get the hands dialed in now.
mtbdudex

Postby c0nsumer » December 9th, 2019, 7:23 pm

Worst case I toss a pair of chem warmers in, on the backs of my hands. I keep a couple in my pack when riding in winter just in case. Oh, and a space blanket.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

c0nsumer

Postby bbender785 » December 10th, 2019, 7:50 am

i wrapped my brake levers in heat shrink a couple winters ago as well, i think we discussed it somewhere on here actually. i've been surprised how much foam grips helped too. i wasn't able to quantify a reduction in heat transfer by going to carbon bars, but the idea alone was the final justification i needed to buy them anyways. :D

all that said, i can't imagine not having mitts in the *beep* (really mmba, i can't say @rsen@l?!). i don't use them until it gets below 20 degrees and is blustery.
>>>RAD
bbender785

Postby c0nsumer » December 10th, 2019, 9:26 am

I'm not getting rid of my mitts either, but I didn't use them once last year... Even on single digit windy days.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

c0nsumer

Postby mtbdudex » December 12th, 2019, 12:50 pm

Well after reading lots of reviews I bought these Planet Bike Borails via amazon , size XL

However ... the inner glove is way too thick and when used together with the outer felt constrictive around my fingers, which surprised me.

I went to LBS and tried these on, liked them immediately so much I bought them.

For snow skiing I have these mitten + inner glove liner system Image

That glove liner is thinner than the planet bike one, I’ll try the lobster gloves in Mid-20’s by themselves and see comfort, and if needed can then put those Burton thin gloves inners on.

Returning the planet bike ones, never rode with them just fit in house .

Sent from my iPhone 11Pro using Tapatalk
mtbdudex

Postby bbender785 » December 12th, 2019, 1:26 pm

your glove game is coming together nicely.

here's my rough chart:

55*+: summer gloves
42-55*, dry: specialized mesta wool liner
33-50*, wet: specialized deflect h20 therminal (waterproof, lightly insulated 5-finger gloves)
28-42*, dry: specialized deflect h20 therminal (waterproof, lightly insulated 5-finger gloves)
15-28*: specialized element 3.0 (windproof, moderately insulated lobster claws)
<20*: bar mitts, and gloves depending on ride duration and intensity

i may eventually add the thinner specialized deflect glove to slide into the 40'ish degree area, but so far 4 glove options and bar mitts has sufficed just fine.
>>>RAD
bbender785

Postby mtbdudex » December 12th, 2019, 3:29 pm

bbender785 wrote:your glove game is coming together nicely.

here's my rough chart:

55*+: summer gloves
42-55*, dry: specialized mesta wool liner
33-50*, wet: specialized deflect h20 therminal (waterproof, lightly insulated 5-finger gloves)
28-42*, dry: specialized deflect h20 therminal (waterproof, lightly insulated 5-finger gloves)
15-28*: specialized element 3.0 (windproof, moderately insulated lobster claws)
<20*: bar mitts, and gloves depending on ride duration and intensity

i may eventually add the thinner specialized deflect glove to slide into the 40'ish degree area, but so far 4 glove options and bar mitts has sufficed just fine.

Nice to see that, using your chart and my usage similar temp zones

55*+: summer gloves dry/wet; fox motorcycle gloves usually $25-ish been using these since 1990's
38-55*, dry: Costco Mens Head multisport midweight gloves $25-ish; love these for cool / crisp temps, wick vapor nicely, if windy I can feel them when it's in upper 30's
38-50*, wet: I don't start out in cool / driving pouring rain, but light rain I've used just same Head midweight gloves and they have worked for me
33-40's wet - I avoid the cold wet ... ya
28-42*, dry: I've got these gel late 1990's Preformance gloves that work nicely in this range, below 28 my fingers get numb
15-32*: Pearl Izumi - Ride Pro AMFIB Lobster Gloves - I'm hoping these fill this gap perfectly mid 20's to 32 w/o liner, 15 - 25 with liner ; light wind
<20*: bar mitts, and gloves depending on ride duration and intensity + wind factor

Gosh, now why am I looking at the 45NRTH Wölvhammer for feet and clipless spd's ... ??

I tried them on in person at the Brighton Motor City store that carries them
https://bikerumor.com/2019/10/23/45nrth-wolvhammer-completely-redesigned-w-2-boots-in-1-wolfgar-winter-riding-boot-adds-boa/
mtbdudex

Postby bbender785 » December 12th, 2019, 3:56 pm

mtbdudex wrote:..Gosh, now why am I looking at the 45NRTH Wölvhammer for feet and clipless spd's ... ??

i finally went with some wolvhammers the middle/end of last winter. tried the shoe cover thing for a year, that was a joke. then i used some Northwave GTX Artic shoes all winter for a couple seasons, which are awesome for late fall and early spring, and decent for winter. final straw was wearing them last january during the polar vortex; REI was clearing out the previous generation wolv's at a steep discount, so i went for it....... man, why did i wait so long, haha.
>>>RAD
bbender785

Next

Return to General