similar studded tires; which one on front, which on rear?

Everything related to mountain biking that's not covered in the forums below

similar studded tires; which one on front, which on rear?

Postby bbender785 » December 13th, 2019, 1:42 pm

i'll post this here since the commuter forum doesn't seem to get much attention, and i tell myself this could apply to studded tires for mtb too. :lol: long story short, i suddenly have two studded tires for my commuter, both 45NRTH Gravdal in size 700x38. they are different versions though; one is the 33tpi casing with carbide-tipped steel studs, the other a 120tpi with concave carbide-tipped aluminum studs. the 33tpi version is about 200g heavier per my scale. the 120tpi is obviously more supple.

it probably realistically would make a negligible-at-best difference, but which would you run on the front, and which on the rear?
>>>RAD
bbender785

Re: similar studded tires; which one on front, which on rear

Postby mtbdudex » December 13th, 2019, 3:16 pm

does the front see typically more wear then the rear, due to turning /etc?
Are carbide-tipped steel studs more lasting than concave carbide-tipped aluminum studs?

If so, I'd put the steel studded tire up front ... if not, flip a coin
mtbdudex

Postby bbender785 » December 13th, 2019, 3:38 pm

mtbdudex wrote:does the front see typically more wear then the rear, due to turning /etc?

i'd assume just the opposite, due to the rear bearing more weight.

Are carbide-tipped steel studs more lasting than concave carbide-tipped aluminum studs?

i'd assume(?) they'd wear at the same rate; the concaves are marketed that they maintain sharpness as they wear due to the concavity.

...flip a coin

lol honestly i know this is probably the most accurate answer. but my engineering brain likes to over-analyze. :lol:
>>>RAD
bbender785

Postby mtbdudex » December 13th, 2019, 6:38 pm

Ok, how about the lighter one up front for quicker turning ?
200g ...

Sent from my iPhone 11Pro using Tapatalk
mtbdudex

Postby b_b » December 13th, 2019, 9:46 pm

mtbdudex wrote:Ok, how about the lighter one up front for quicker turning ?
200g ...

Or for easier wheelies!
b_b

Postby bbender785 » December 19th, 2019, 10:19 am

think i'm going to go forward with the 120tpi up front; my thought is the more supple casing (in theory) should offer a little extra float and compliance since it doesn't bear as much weight, and the concave studs should bite a little better as they wear than the regular ones. i was originally going to go with just a studded tire up front anyways, to keep from washing out.

i'd think the 33tpi casing would be more tough too, which is probably a good thing for the back which bears way more weight and abuse.
>>>RAD
bbender785

Postby mtbdudex » February 26th, 2020, 1:50 pm

bbender785 wrote:think i'm going to go forward with the 120tpi up front; my thought is the more supple casing (in theory) should offer a little extra float and compliance since it doesn't bear as much weight, and the concave studs should bite a little better as they wear than the regular ones. i was originally going to go with just a studded tire up front anyways, to keep from washing out.

i'd think the 33tpi casing would be more tough too, which is probably a good thing for the back which bears way more weight and abuse.

So what did you end up doing?

mtbdudex

Postby bbender785 » February 27th, 2020, 6:10 am

120 front, 33 rear, for the reasons i listed in my last post. i also occasionally run just the front studded tire, so figured might as well have the lighter one up there.

again it's probably splitting hairs. but this is how my engineering brain works.
>>>RAD
bbender785

Postby Roy » March 6th, 2020, 11:17 pm

From an engineering point of view I think it makes sense to put the stiffer tire in the rear.
But it depends on how you ride, how you distribute your weight when turning.
I tend to ride off the rear wheel and use the front brake to shift weigh to the front wheel in a corner when I need more traction.
If you drive your bike with the front wheel then the opposite might be a better option.
Body type and fit could affect weight distribution front to rear.

Any way spring tire change is almost here.

Roy
Roy

Postby bbender785 » March 9th, 2020, 7:15 am

Roy wrote:From an engineering point of view I think it makes sense to put the stiffer tire in the rear.
But it depends on how you ride, how you distribute your weight when turning.
I tend to ride off the rear wheel and use the front brake to shift weigh to the front wheel in a corner when I need more traction.
If you drive your bike with the front wheel then the opposite might be a better option.
Body type and fit could affect weight distribution front to rear.

good points. i have the fit pretty upright (for me) on this rig, and run filled panniers on a rear rack, so the weight is heavily biased rearward. when navigating slippery turns i try to keep my weight neutral, the bike as upright as possible, and put downward pressure on the outer side of the handlebar depending on the direction i'm turning.

i actually only run these when conditions warrant; 90% of the winter i run Michelin Star Grips. only put about 100 miles on the studs this year. i'm not convinced i won't need them one more time yet this season...
>>>RAD
bbender785

Postby mtbdudex » March 9th, 2020, 1:45 pm

bbender785 wrote:

i actually only run these when conditions warrant; 90% of the winter i run Michelin Star Grips. only put about 100 miles on the studs this year. i'm not convinced i won't need them one more time yet this season...

I’ve hung my studded tires up for the season , rode them Saturday early at Brighton before the big melt

mtbdudex

Return to General