Fatbike trail video Marquette

Everything related to mountain biking that's not covered in the forums below

Re: Fatbike trail video Marquette

Postby mtbdudex » December 12th, 2019, 5:16 pm

I was able to use std MTB shoes + Rocky Men's 11" Gore-tex Waterproof Socks + mid-weight socks down to mid-30's and actually kept warm, not even cold.
Once below 32 I went just hiking boots, desire spd when possible so need solution.
I do have a pair of old 1990's Trek over covers ... adding those to the Gore-tex could work in non-snowy situation I feel to the mid/upper-20's??

hence I'm considering those Wölvhammer's ..
mtbdudex

Postby c0nsumer » December 12th, 2019, 5:33 pm

Wolvhammers, Lake MXZ303s, Bontrager Old Man Winters; all good. Just get whatever you can try on.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby bbender785 » December 13th, 2019, 7:35 am

alot of what proper winter shoes/boots can do that layered-over summer shoes can't is in the soles; metal cleats and pedals are a huge heat sink. i was able to get a few extra degrees out of my northwaves by using an upgraded insole (https://www.amazon.com/Moneysworth-Best ... B00GDBI7BO), but that setup still doesn't hold a candle to my wolvs.
>>>RAD
bbender785

Postby Roy » December 13th, 2019, 8:13 am

I have a different take on winter gloves .
Years ago an outdoor carpenter told me that in the fall he would soak his hands in ice water ever morning before going to work. He said by doing that he could work outside without gloves most of the winter. I took his advice to heart and did not wear gloves fall or winter (unless working with metal or it was really cold out). As a result, I could ride with my summer gloves until it close to 20 f. When the temps dropped below 20, cheap dollar store gloves were warm enough. By conditioning my hands this way I could also Ice Fish bare handed - only use gloves when moving between holes.
Hand conditioning might not be for everybody. It is easy to do, just don't wear gloves in the fall or early winter. I used the cold steering wheel on my morning drive instead of ice water to condition my hands. Try it next winter.
If you bow or rifle hunt, it is a lot easier to shoot without gloves.

For me winter riding was usually slow, so wind chill was not a big factor.

Roy

Postby mtbdudex » December 13th, 2019, 12:53 pm

Roy wrote:I have a different take on winter gloves .
Years ago an outdoor carpenter told me that in the fall he would soak his hands in ice water ever morning before going to work. He said by doing that he could work outside without gloves most of the winter. I took his advice to heart and did not wear gloves fall or winter (unless working with metal or it was really cold out). As a result, I could ride with my summer gloves until it close to 20 f. When the temps dropped below 20, cheap dollar store gloves were warm enough. By conditioning my hands this way I could also Ice Fish bare handed - only use gloves when moving between holes.
Hand conditioning might not be for everybody. It is easy to do, just don't wear gloves in the fall or early winter. I used the cold steering wheel on my morning drive instead of ice water to condition my hands. Try it next winter.
If you bow or rifle hunt, it is a lot easier to shoot without gloves.

For me winter riding was usually slow, so wind chill was not a big factor.

Roy - is your nickname "man mountain Dean"? :mrgreen:
Wow, must be certain peoples body physiology allows this to work for them ....

Just when I was looking at these Dissent 133 Ultimate Glove Cycling Pack for winter riding ...
https://bikerumor.com/2019/01/15/review-dissent-133-layers-up-the-ideal-glove-for-any-type-of-foul-winter-weather/#comment-3273403
mtbdudex

Postby mtbdudex » December 13th, 2019, 1:02 pm

bbender785 wrote:alot of what proper winter shoes/boots can do that layered-over summer shoes can't is in the soles; metal cleats and pedals are a huge heat sink. i was able to get a few extra degrees out of my northwaves by using an upgraded insole (https://www.amazon.com/Moneysworth-Best ... B00GDBI7BO), but that setup still doesn't hold a candle to my wolvs.

Thx for the link, tomorrow morn I'll be at Brighton with 2 work friends doing our Sat fattie ride, with my Sidi shoes / spds on, gore tex over socks, ski socks, then the trek over boots.
It will be 30 - 32 during the ride with low wind, so not worried on toes warmth.
Eventually I'll probably get a pair of wolvs from Motor City Bikes in Brighton, yea, $300's ... it's an investment ... that's what I tell the wife
mtbdudex

Postby mtbdudex » December 13th, 2019, 1:13 pm

c0nsumer wrote:Wolvhammers, Lake MXZ303s, Bontrager Old Man Winters; all good. Just get whatever you can try on.

Trek is such a tease, via google I see Bontrager Old Man Winters for $99, reg $299 ,... but only 1 size, size 9 mens, not mine :evil:
the google link to me to their clearance site ... so maybe someone here is a size 9 and can use these ..
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike-clothing/cycling-shoes/mountain-bike-shoes/bontrager-omw-winter-shoe/p/12550/?gclid=CjwKCAiAis3vBRBdEiwAHXB29KocTmJu9OPFXWN76NGllHsIl9rjsz58UBws3mxCUDgtgEB5xYLAFBoCRgoQAvD_BwE
mtbdudex

Postby mtbdudex » December 15th, 2019, 8:20 am

Gloves dialed in..visual of what works for me.
Returning the Planet Bike Boeralis.

Sent from my iPhone 11Pro using Tapatalk
mtbdudex

Postby mtbdudex » December 15th, 2019, 8:19 pm

Now it’s bootie time[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Mountain winter booths that is, fattie rode Brighton yesterday [emoji1303][emoji1303], afterwards on a hunch stopped by Motor City bikes, their having “sale “, 15% on shoes .... so I bought both the 45NRTH offerings ..
My feet were “ok” yesterday in the ski sock, goretex sock, shoe, Trek overshoe, not cold but not warm, it was 30 at 8:30am , 32 when left at 10:40am.
If snowy or what not those Trek overshoes not the best for hike a bike.
So, the Ragnarok for sure, there rated to 25 comfort, curious how they’d handle 20? Could my goretex socks enable that maybe?
So... for below 20 just use hiking boots and pin pedals .. yet those wolvs look so awesome..

mtbdudex

Postby bikeguy4life » December 17th, 2019, 9:58 am

I bought the Ragnarok's December last year and have a few rides on them now in some varying weather conditions. I used to just run a roomy MTB shoe w/ wool socks of various thicknesses and a neoprene overshoe - they worked decent enough, but I've always hated overshoes. I don't fat bike, as soon as there is enough snow on the trails to XC ski, i switch over to that. I mostly bought the Ragnaroks for the October-December shoulder season. I really like the Ragnaroks, their form-factor is what I was looking for, they fit great and seem well designed - I bought them a size up (47) from what I normally run (46) because my feet were just barely between sizes and I wanted to make sure I had room for thicker wool socks. In hindsight, I probably should have stuck w/ my usual size as they are just a LITTLE too big when I wear a standard SmartWool ski sock. I have used them with a thicker Carhart thick wool work sock & I haven't used them yet with my thicker yet, heavy duty merino wool socks - hopefully later today if I can get out. I usually run pretty warm and have good tolerances to cold weather. That said, these shoes seem like they work best for 35 to low 40's temps, no complaints there. I've worn them a few times at 30-35 degrees (Iceman this year) and had a slight chill in my toes - I was a little surprised by that actually. Last weekend I wore them on a 1.5hr ride in 25 degrees w/ my Carhartt socks and most of my feet were comfortable, but my toes were pretty chilled - probably about the same chill level as my old mtb shoe/overshoe setup. If you ride a lot in 25 to below temps, Ragnarok's probably aren't the way to go, but 25+, I think they work well as long as they are paired w/ the right sock combo. That's my 2-cents, hope that helps!
2017 Giant XTC 2 29/27.5+
2009 Vassago Jabberwocky SS
2013 Giant TCR SL4
bikeguy4life

Postby mtbdudex » January 1st, 2020, 2:20 pm

Winter gloves update;
I’ve learned gloves are subjective based on your hands blood circulation patterns .
I returned the lobster gloves, my brain is dialed to 1 finger braking after years and years of biking, could not adjust.
Got the 45NRTH Sturmfist 5 gloves, they rate to 15deg.
From a few rides my left middle finger is circulation challenged, the others on both hands are ok....if below 28 it gets cold almost immediately first 5-6 minutes, then numb , then at 24 minutes the blood circulation seems to kick in and it kinda gets just ok .... the uncomfortable time sucks.
I’ve added Ergo grips.

Todays New Years ride I added the bar mitts on, as it was 23 deg at start , they helped but still felt cold / numb for a short while .
Thinking it is what it is, will try high cadence peddling first 7-8 minutes to get the blood flowing .

Later boots, as that’s been a journey also.

mtbdudex

Postby mtbdudex » January 1st, 2020, 2:27 pm

bikeguy4life wrote:I bought the Ragnarok's December last year and have a few rides on them now in some varying weather conditions. I used to just run a roomy MTB shoe w/ wool socks of various thicknesses and a neoprene overshoe - they worked decent enough, but I've always hated overshoes. I don't fat bike, as soon as there is enough snow on the trails to XC ski, i switch over to that. I mostly bought the Ragnaroks for the October-December shoulder season. I really like the Ragnaroks, their form-factor is what I was looking for, they fit great and seem well designed - I bought them a size up (47) from what I normally run (46) because my feet were just barely between sizes and I wanted to make sure I had room for thicker wool socks. In hindsight, I probably should have stuck w/ my usual size as they are just a LITTLE too big when I wear a standard SmartWool ski sock. I have used them with a thicker Carhart thick wool work sock & I haven't used them yet with my thicker yet, heavy duty merino wool socks - hopefully later today if I can get out. I usually run pretty warm and have good tolerances to cold weather. That said, these shoes seem like they work best for 35 to low 40's temps, no complaints there. I've worn them a few times at 30-35 degrees (Iceman this year) and had a slight chill in my toes - I was a little surprised by that actually. Last weekend I wore them on a 1.5hr ride in 25 degrees w/ my Carhartt socks and most of my feet were comfortable, but my toes were pretty chilled - probably about the same chill level as my old mtb shoe/overshoe setup. If you ride a lot in 25 to below temps, Ragnarok's probably aren't the way to go, but 25+, I think they work well as long as they are paired w/ the right sock combo. That's my 2-cents, hope that helps!

Thx, your post helped me.
I almost scored 2018 Lake MXZ303’s, but they were wide size.

I’ve kept and ridden the Ragnaroks down to 28-ish start ride 32 finish, their first rate, light, kept my feet warm and toes were ok.
This morning 23 deg f I decided I’m keeping the Wolvs also, wore them.
Man, is it weird to say ... “I love those winter boots”!
Truly felt warm and comfortable, there rated to zero, well I believe it.

Oh, it’s official, my daughter committed to Michigan tech, go Huskies! So will be using this gear when visiting her.

mtbdudex

Postby Roy » January 2nd, 2020, 8:36 am

mtbdudex
No, I might enjoy the cold a little more then some.
But give it a try next winter, don't wear gloves until you need gloves or handle metal.
This will condition your hands for the cold. At the least, you will be able to wear lighter ridding gloves.
The other big advantage will come if you have a mechanical breakdown,
You will have more bare hand time to make any repair. ( try snapping in/out a master chain link with gloves on)
If it is less then 20 f out when you have a mechanical, and you are a bit damp, 10 minutes is about all the repair time you have before it is hike a bike time.
Try it next winter, it might work for you!

Roy
Roy

Postby Critter7r » January 4th, 2020, 1:26 pm

mtbdudex wrote:Gloves dialed in..visual of what works for me.
Returning the Planet Bike Boeralis.

lol ... I have 2 pairs of gloves. Standard fingerless gloves and winter gloves.

My over/under is about 35 degrees. Giver or take a few degrees depending on wind and sun levels. Between 30-40 I wear one pair, and carry the other. Above 40 it's fingerless only, and below 30 it's winter only.

Full disclosure : I won't ride in temps below 15-20, though.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby mtbdudex » February 13th, 2020, 8:55 am

Hey, I will be at MTU Friday 2/28 thru Sunday 3/1, I'd love to ride the Marquette trails, but 1.5 hours away is not in the cards this quick trip.

I see there are a few trails very near the campus, any of you ride them?
https://www.mtu.edu/bike/trails-routes/

mtbdudex

Previous

Return to General