Jumbo Jims; "performance" line

Where to ask questions on riding skills, training, nutrition, and bike repair

Postby bbender785 » August 6th, 2019, 9:56 am

any thoughts on them? they're not terribly heavier than the 4" liteskin evo version i've been planning on for a three-season and hard/fast snow wheel setup. i'm aware they are lower TPI as well. just curious how they've set up tubeless, how supple they are, and if real-world weights have come in close to spec.
>>>RAD
bbender785

Re: Jumbo Jims; "performance" line

Postby c0nsumer » August 6th, 2019, 1:00 pm

I like to stick with the Snakeskin versions, especially for the big exposed sidewalls and what summer riding brings about.

Check out the Bontrager Chupacabra, though... It's not that protected, but I really prefer it over the Jumbo Jim for a summer tire. The JJ was just too drift-y for me in corners. As soon as the sharp edges on the knobs go away, they just... aren't the best. The Chupacabra is something I like a lot more in all sorts of conditions, including basic snow. (Then I go to Flowbeist / Dunderbeist or studded Cake Eaters for proper winter.)
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby tmbrown » August 6th, 2019, 3:20 pm

c0nsumer wrote:
Check out the Bontrager Chupacabra, though... It's not that protected, but I really prefer it over the Jumbo Jim for a summer tire. The JJ was just too drift-y for me in corners. As soon as the sharp edges on the knobs go away, they just... aren't the best. The Chupacabra is something I like a lot more in all sorts of conditions, including basic snow.

Chupacabra is a 29" x 3" replaced by the XR2 29" x 3"
Hodag or Barbegazi ?
tmbrown

Postby c0nsumer » August 6th, 2019, 4:48 pm

Sorry, yeah. I meant Barbagezi.

I also really like the Chupacabra, on my fatbike, but for other purposes.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby bbender785 » August 7th, 2019, 6:38 am

looks like the barbegazi is only available in 4.7"? i'm looking for the lightest, fastest, "legally fat" tire, which unless something i'm not aware of has come out in the last few months is the 4.0 JJ; I'll be putting them on 50mm Rabbit Holes and using them to ride Yankee and the sandy two tracks around it in the dry summer months, as well as a race setup in the snow when conditions dictate (otherwise i'd consider a plus setup).
>>>RAD
bbender785

Postby flamingo » August 7th, 2019, 7:06 am

I am not a very aggressive rider. I spent last winter riding on 4.8 JJ. Have nothing to compare them to but have no complains about them so far. One thing I know is that they are the lightest fat tires out there. I have the EVO version. They are easy to setup tubeless.
Let's make 26ers great again!
flamingo

Postby c0nsumer » August 7th, 2019, 7:22 am

bbender785 wrote:looks like the barbegazi is only available in 4.7"? i'm looking for the lightest, fastest, "legally fat" tire, which unless something i'm not aware of has come out in the last few months is the 4.0 JJ; I'll be putting them on 50mm Rabbit Holes and using them to ride Yankee and the sandy two tracks around it in the dry summer months, as well as a race setup in the snow when conditions dictate (otherwise i'd consider a plus setup).

That's correct, they only come in that one size. But got it... We've definitely got different wants from tires then. :)

I'd also suggest looking at the Fast Trak then. I haven't ridden them myself, but the tread looks excellent, and Specialized's tires are good.

Not that the JJ is bad, I just found it lacking when pushed, especially as it starts to wear.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

c0nsumer

Postby bbender785 » August 7th, 2019, 7:25 am

flamingo wrote:I am not a very aggressive rider. I spent last winter riding on 4.8 JJ. Have nothing to compare them to but have no complains about them so far. One thing I know is that they are the lightest fat tires out there. I have the EVO version. They are easy to setup tubeless.

i ran the 4.8 JJ (liteskin evo) as a 4-season tire two years ago and generally hated them in the snow. ran the front at 0.5psi one cold, loose day just to stay upright. I moved to 45NRTH Dillinger 5's and they're a big improvement there, but want a second setup to keep the D5's fresh and reduce weight when all that traction isn't necessary.
>>>RAD
bbender785

Postby bbender785 » August 7th, 2019, 7:28 am

c0nsumer wrote:I'd also suggest looking at the Fast Trak then. I haven't ridden them myself, but the tread looks excellent, and Specialized's tires are good.

yeah that's something i've started to consider too. i did run the stock 4.6 ground controls for a winter and they weren't too bad. the fast trak are over 100g heavier per tire vs the evo 4" JJ's, but right in the ballpark of the performance version in question. i might give them a shot if the right deal came along. good call.
>>>RAD
bbender785

Postby tmbrown » August 7th, 2019, 7:32 am

c0nsumer wrote:
I also really like the Chupacabra, on my fatbike, but for other purposes.

Yeah the XR2 is a great tire; I’ve tried several different tires on my Stache there’s something magical about the XR2’s… I run the XR4 up front in the fall and spring.

I have a 29x2.6 XR4 with about 100 miles on it, for sale if anyone is interested. $40
tmbrown

Postby bbender785 » January 10th, 2020, 4:09 pm

i did end up going with the 4" performance line JJ's in question. found a set with the whiskers still on them for next to nothing. they set up pretty easily on the rabbit holes, and compared to my studless 45N Dillinger 5's set up tubeless on stock fatboy wheels, i cut 3.2lb of weight. it's taken some dialing in the front pressure to get the bike to track correctly, but it's a seriously great dirt setup for what i (don't) have into it $.
>>>RAD
bbender785

Postby bbender785 » January 10th, 2020, 4:11 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
>>>RAD
bbender785

Postby c0nsumer » January 10th, 2020, 5:59 pm

What's the actual width measure at?
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

c0nsumer

Postby bbender785 » January 10th, 2020, 7:16 pm

c0nsumer wrote:What's the actual width measure at?

right on 3.8”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
>>>RAD
bbender785

Postby RazBarry_KB » January 23rd, 2020, 3:38 pm

JJ's are the best dirt fat bike tire out there in my opinion. I've run the 4" version for several seasons, and will be on my second set this upcoming spring/summer. Super fast, light, and very grippy. They're terrible in snow though.
RazBarry
RazBarry_KB

Next

Return to Tips, Training & Techniques