Marquette Mountain Enduro

All forms of off road bicycle racing and competition MMBA CPS race info

Marquette Mountain Enduro

Postby Burb » September 1st, 2019, 9:18 pm

I’m interested in the enduro - but have never done one. Their site doesn’t explain much about it.

Is it a good one for a first time enduro racer?

Where can you stay nearby?

Rules or specific needs?

If you’ve done the race ... did you like it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Burb

Re: Marquette Mountain Enduro

Postby ryguy79 » September 9th, 2019, 12:01 pm

Just do it. It's fun. Camping (or cabins) at Rippling River is convenient. Practically right at the trailhead. The enduro is fun and a pretty chill way to get into racing. I've raced there a few times and its definitely worth going a day early and checking out the stages so you're not going totally blind if you're not that familiar with the trails.
ryguy79

Postby kaysee » September 11th, 2019, 7:28 am

As stated, the cabins right are right there and brand new. Any Air BnB in downtown is less than 10 mins away.

I’d just spend a little time learning the course map or doing a practice run. I did the one at trail fest this year. With the pipeline work they are doing, it could be hard to find the entrance to the benson grade climb at first.

I got turned around trying to get to the top of mount Marquette the first time as well. (Its a normal dirt road to the top FYI). Those trails put you on the back side of Mt Marquette, so you will probably want to take some single track back to the start or you will have a longer ride on the road. I’d also recommend doing those runs last because of this. The other trails typically let you out right in the middle of everything, so going from one to the next is easy.

kaysee

Postby c0nsumer » September 11th, 2019, 7:34 am

kaysee wrote:I’d just spend a little time learning the course map or doing a practice run. I did the one at trail fest this year. With the pipeline work they are doing, it could be hard to find the entrance to the benson grade climb at first.

FWIW, this is sealed up and done. No more issue there. Just follow the signs.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby Burb » September 15th, 2019, 6:04 pm

Thanks for the info. My buddy and I are both in for our first time. Hoping to make it up there Friday during the day to pre ride.

Burb

Postby c0nsumer » September 15th, 2019, 6:55 pm

Is the Enduro really this weekend? Same time as Marji?
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby crustaceous_flora » September 15th, 2019, 11:20 pm

The Enduro is on October 5th :)
crustaceous_flora

Postby dudegetabike » February 11th, 2020, 1:39 pm

Burb wrote:Thanks for the info. My buddy and I are both in for our first time. Hoping to make it up there Friday during the day to pre ride.

So, what was the verdict on this? Did you enjoy it? What was it like compared to the more "XC" style races the rest of the state runs? I'm thinking of doing more enduro events this year and zero Iceman events to avoid standing around in the woods cold and muddy. :lol:

5 it son!

2018 Canyon Spectral CF8
2014 Niner EMD
2015 'Goose Vinson (Fatties rule!)
2012 Sunday 2nd Wave
2017 Sunday C24
dudegetabike

Postby c0nsumer » February 11th, 2020, 1:59 pm

I watched a bunch of the enduro, but didn't race. If you think it's going to be anything like XC-y stuff downstate... It's not. At all. There's some serious, serious chunk sections that are difficult to impossible to even walk. And there's a lot of climbing in the process.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

c0nsumer

Postby Burb » February 11th, 2020, 2:14 pm

dudegetabike wrote:So, what was the verdict on this? Did you enjoy it? What was it like compared to the more "XC" style races the rest of the state runs? I'm thinking of doing more enduro events this year and zero Iceman events to avoid standing around in the woods cold and muddy. :lol:

It was so rad! We're going back to do another in June this year at the Marquette Bike Fest. Seriously so much fun.

It was true, technical, downhill, single track. Twisty and steep. NOT UCI downhill stuff. I'm not a jumper, so I asked before hand on the trails and all the locals said that everything that is a jump is roll-able, or has a roll-around. We did the Sport class for 4 stages. I hardly ever use my dropper around here, but I used it 99% of the time there! I'm riding a Trek Fuel EX 8 29er. My Buddy rides an Intense 27.5 trail bike. I feel like a bit more travel could go faster, but I think the bike was right for me. We were only able to pre-ride one stage (Original Downhill at Marquette Mtn.). All other stages we went into completely blind (other than watching some videos on youtube). Most stages were around 3 minutes. The climbing was pretty intense. Long fire road climbs for most of them. Very rocky, rooty and technical.

One stage was unknown for everyone, since they ran a trail backward just for that day. It was cool since that leveled the field for that stage. I can see that being a local could make you faster. But I love riding trails sight-unseen.

Everyone was SUPER nice. Rode with some locals. Very much a snowboard/freestyle type vibe. Not a race vibe at all. One guy rode it on a hardtail (which was insane to me since it was SO ROUGH) and ended up 3rd in our age/sport class.

Iceman sounds horrible to me. I have zero interest in it. Especially after riding an Enduro. I can't recommend the Marquette one enough.
Burb

Postby Burb » February 11th, 2020, 2:24 pm

Burb

Postby c0nsumer » February 11th, 2020, 2:57 pm

If you want a mix of XC and trail stuff, consider the Marquette Trails Fest Long XC race. It's a one-day two-stage race (mass start, then neutral transition, then time trial) that's on proper Marquette MTB trails. It starts on North and does Wildcat before heading almost over to Lake Superior before timing ends. Then you transition along the lake (something like 30 or 45 minutes to ride maybe 4 miles) and then it's a time trial which starts by climbing Mt. Marquette Road, descending Scary, riding Blue all the way to the Carp River, then up the back side of Marquette Mountain Ski Area and down one of the more mild downhill trails.

It's all technically XC, but a whole level above what you'll find downstate. Even the road at the start of the second stage is harder than anything in Iceman.

And yeah, such a great time. People are riding HARD, but it's got more of a party feeling and a few good hours of riding fun trails while pushing.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

c0nsumer

Postby b_b » February 11th, 2020, 2:59 pm

Nice video. Looks fun! Would FS XC 29r 2.3 tires work ok?
How much of the timed race is uphill vs downhill?
b_b

Postby c0nsumer » February 11th, 2020, 3:04 pm

b_b wrote:Nice video. Looks fun! Would FS XC 29r 2.3 tires work ok?

DH is the only stuff that's timed. You have a fixed amount of time to make the uphills, but it's quite forgiving.

And yes, those tires/wheels would be fine so long as they are knobby and cut-resistant enough. Bike geometry and having a dropper will make much more of a difference.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

c0nsumer

Postby Burb » February 11th, 2020, 3:11 pm

b_b wrote:Nice video. Looks fun! Would FS XC 29r 2.3 tires work ok?

No timing uphill. The format for this was that you had 3 hours (I think) to do 2 stages in the morning. And 3 hours to do 2 stages in the afternoon. Any order. Open class had to do 3 stages morning and afternoon and one night stage. There was a fair amount of riding to get from stage to stage especially because it's usually uphill. You get to the stage. Catch your breath. Get in line. And they count you down.

My Fuel is a 130mm travel with 2.4 tires. I think the 2.3 would be fine. But I could see how bigger would be better. I could also see the benefit to more travel. But I'm not able to have more than one bike ... so I'll stick with what works for around here too for me. For the timed sections, I was barely pedaling. Mostly on the brakes. Some uphills, but usually they were quick and punchy. I think I only raised my dropper once in the middle of one of the stages for a climb.

Like I said, a dude did it on a hardtail ... so really - don't overthink it. Try it and then make changes for the next one!
Burb

Next

Return to Racing