MCMBA: Island Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Island Lake

Postby punkerfinger » June 25th, 2020, 4:03 pm

There was a log/fallen tree down across the trail on the Blue Loop on Tuesday night between mile marker 7.5 and 8. It's not too big, maybe 10-12" diameter. A lot of people could probably ride over it, but didn't look intentional.
punkerfinger

Postby Mucky » June 28th, 2020, 2:52 pm

Big tree down on blue just after crossing the lower parking lot. Head hunter just after new blue route comes back to old blue. Lots of face slappers, but trail itself was good.
Mucky

Postby epicroadtrip » July 12th, 2020, 5:39 pm

trimmed from spring mill to the road today, it was much needed. trail is in great shape
epicroadtrip

Postby Moxie » July 18th, 2020, 1:06 pm

Enjoyed the new section on blue past the railroad bridge today. Thanks to all who worked on it. Feels safer than trying to cross the road where the old crossing was at the bottom of the winding curve.
Moxie

Postby ihateplaindave » July 27th, 2020, 10:46 am

Has anyone heard an update on the man who was taken out in an ambulance over the weekend?
ihateplaindave

Postby ptoro » July 27th, 2020, 11:21 pm

Hey all, first time riding at Island Lake yesterday. Quick question:

I rode the first few miles of the Blue Loop and was surprised how much of the trail was loose sand. I've hit a few sand traps before but never seen so much of it on a trail. I'm new to riding in the area. Is that the norm around here?

The only other trail I've ridden in the area is Maybury, which had almost no sand. I'm guessing it has something to do with frequency of use?
ptoro

Postby Critter7r » July 30th, 2020, 9:53 am

Island Lake Rec is just an area with a lot of sand. Other trails in the area have more loam and/or clay, and more tree cover so the trail doesn't dry out as quickly.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby b_b » July 30th, 2020, 1:04 pm

Yeah seems like sand is worse this year perhaps from the all the new covid trail users. Funny I have little issue with ILRA sand as most is on straights so just power through faster the better, but the one sandpit on Maybury at the bottom of the chute gives me grief since it's in a corner.:shock: Brighton Rec also has some sand but not too bad. Novi Lakeshore Tree Farm has virtually no sand.
b_b

Postby ptoro » August 5th, 2020, 10:40 am

Good to know about trails drying out. Maybe now that we've had some rain Island Lake will be less sandy.

That's good news. Lakeshore's on my list. Looking forward to trying that one out even more now.

When I Googled this, I found an MTBR thread asking about sand on trails. One response was "I'll bet the Florida and Michigan people are going "why is sand an issue?"" and another was "Maybe it's a trail in Detroit." Looks like I'm going to have learn how to ride through sand around here :).
ptoro

Postby ahopkins1988 » August 5th, 2020, 11:09 am

Another factor is that we went a very very long time without any rain. Made it great because we could basically ride everyday of the week, but the trails really dried out and trails like Island, the sand really came up.
--
Andrew

2011 Trek Mamba 29er, 2003 Trek 4500
ahopkins1988

Postby ptoro » August 7th, 2020, 12:57 pm

After a good rain on trails around here, how long do you usually wait before riding? I want to make sure I don't damage any of them.
ptoro

Postby c0nsumer » August 7th, 2020, 1:29 pm

ptoro wrote:After a good rain on trails around here, how long do you usually wait before riding? I want to make sure I don't damage any of them.

Depends on the time of year. This time of year? Sometimes the same day is good, usually the following. Springtime / post-thaw? It could be a week at times.

The general rule is that, if you are leaving anything more than tire tread marks, it's too wet. Leaving a U shaped dent, no matter how small? Best to ride elsewhere.

If it's almost all good and there's a handful of puddles or soft spots? Ride through them to avoid widening the trail.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby mrbikester » August 11th, 2020, 4:41 pm

Trails were bikealicious today. A bit sandy in areas but it is August after all. Rode around noon and saw only two other people on bikes. Wonderful, and like the before times.
mrbikester

Postby ptoro » August 11th, 2020, 5:20 pm

c0nsumer wrote:
ptoro wrote:After a good rain on trails around here, how long do you usually wait before riding? I want to make sure I don't damage any of them.

Depends on the time of year. This time of year? Sometimes the same day is good, usually the following. Springtime / post-thaw? It could be a week at times.

The general rule is that, if you are leaving anything more than tire tread marks, it's too wet. Leaving a U shaped dent, no matter how small? Best to ride elsewhere.

If it's almost all good and there's a handful of puddles or soft spots? Ride through them to avoid widening the trail.

Thanks! Good to know. I'll ride through a dirt patch by where I live as a proxy and see if I leave any dents.
ptoro

Postby c0nsumer » August 11th, 2020, 8:10 pm

ptoro wrote:Thanks! Good to know. I'll ride through a dirt patch by where I live as a proxy and see if I leave any dents.

That's always a good test. Of course, with how much the terrain and soil varies (eg: River Bends can be awful while Stony Creek four miles away can be fine, or Island Lake can be fine on half of it and terrible in the other) sometimes you have to be ready to head back home if it's too bad.

That said, this time of year... it takes a lot. Trails should be very very ridable from now until the freeze-thaw cycles start. (That's a whole other topic.)
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions