new stunt on newest trail

For discussing Mid-Michigan Mountain Biking Association (Formerly Mid-State) topics.

Postby reidabel » October 21st, 2010, 9:08 pm

Just finished building a new ladder-bridge stunt at the end of the trail I've been working on sporadically for the past few months. This is the trail that you enter by turning left about 50 feet North of the new bridge over the creek between Macnamara and Riverbend. This is close to where the new section ends that starts at the Riverbend vehicle road. The new trail comes out at the intersection where Dragonball Run starts, and the stunt is close to the end, easily visible from the intersection if you look for it.

Note that since the stunt involves a turn you will have to allow for your back tire to stay on the boards. You MUST hug the left edge of the boards with your front tire for the entire time, or your back tire will drop off on the inside of the turn. I test-rode it 17 times today and this happened only once to me, but all of the other 16 were cutting it close. Getting off the stunt and back onto the trail involves a 10-inch drop, you can either lift your front tire as you go over or let it drop and extend your hands way out front. I'd recommend looking at the whole thing before riding it :-)

Let's be careful out there, and I hope you enjoy this new trail feature!

Reid
reidabel

Re: new stunt on newest trail

Postby F7Cannon » October 22nd, 2010, 9:39 am

Looks good Reid, nice job!
F7Cannon

Postby reidabel » October 22nd, 2010, 11:39 am

Yeah, thanks, but did you actually RIDE it?????? Did it seem too risky?

Hey, it looks slightly different now - I worried about the risk factor overnight and decided to skip work and do what I could to take some of the danger out of it. I must have got there just after you left this morning (10:20), and I replaced two boards with longer ones so that the back tire now has somewhere to ride on the inside of the curve. I just didn't want people to be penalized for such a minor mistake. I also added a couple of directional barriers at the very end and at the top of the entry ramp, as well as a few roof shingles for grip at strategic locations. Give it a shot!

I rode it another 10 times after these changes and it feels quite safe to me now. Maybe a bit too easy, but still fun.

People, let me know if you ride it and if it feels good or if it needs any further adjustments. Remember to keep your front tire along the left edge all the way, and you'll be fine.
reidabel

Postby plunderspunk » October 22nd, 2010, 5:34 pm

Nice Job , and nice stunt Reid! :)
Bill
Bernie Sanders for President 2016
plunderspunk

Postby F7Cannon » October 22nd, 2010, 8:01 pm

Rode it 4 times in a row at a pretty good click with no problems. Nice job, very solid. Don't really see how any one could mess this up and get hurt. Heck I rode over it the night I saw you and it wasn't finished yet, just rode the one section like a log skinny.
F7Cannon

Postby TenSpeed » October 22nd, 2010, 8:54 pm

F7Cannon wrote:Rode it 4 times in a row at a pretty good click with no problems. Nice job, very solid. Don't really see how any one could mess this up and get hurt. Heck I rode over it the night I saw you and it wasn't finished yet, just rode the one section like a log skinny.

Showoff. :D
TenSpeed

Postby reidabel » October 23rd, 2010, 9:34 am

Great, glad to hear it worked well for you! The one time my back tire went off the side (old configuration), I saw up close and personal how somebody could get hurt. Luckily, I managed to stay on my feet with the handlebars still in my hands, but I easily could have fallen onto the stunt with my body. The last thing I need at this age is to break a hip :-)

I ended up with a deep thigh bruise somehow (handlebar poke maybe?), but nothing else.

I was wondering about test-riding that section as a skinny log before I put the deck boards on it, but I didn't have the courage to try it.

Maybe I can use you as a test pilot for any future stunts I make!
reidabel

Postby TenSpeed » October 24th, 2010, 12:48 pm

I rode this today. Very cool!!!! I was a little nervous about the turn but it was just fine. I am glad that you added the additional boards. I saw it when it was still in progress and wondered what you were going to do. Turned out very nice. Now we just need to do something about those two tight trees right after the stunt. I don't think I can fit my handle bars through there.

I have a few ideas for some stunts and I would love to have you build them since your workmanship is so perfect.
TenSpeed

Postby reidabel » October 24th, 2010, 3:04 pm

Great, glad you like it and thanks for the feedback ...

We actually routed it through those two tight trees on purpose to provide a choke point before entering the intersection, we don't want anybody coming out quickly because of those two somewhat high-speed slightly downhill trails coming into the same intersection. I had trouble getting through there at first, but now I can go through in either direction without touching either of the trees or the ground. There is only about an inch to spare on either side of my handlebars, you're right that it's really tight. But hey, it's kind of a trail feature on its own!

Thanks for the compliment on the workmanship, and I did enjoy building the stunt. I particularly enjoyed the fine chainsaw work and I see now how the chainsaw carvers can do what they do. I don't know how much more time we have left this year, and I'd definitely like to take a break now. I took a look at the big downed tree between the intersection and Dragonball Run, it is large and has potential, though a straight line boardwalk probably wouldn't be all that interesting. It would be a nice transition from this new trail onto Dragonball Run, though, even if it were just a straight boardwalk.
reidabel

Postby TenSpeed » October 24th, 2010, 7:48 pm

It doesn't need to be this season in fact early next season might be better. I would love to at least show you what I am thinking about so maybe we could meet up out there.
TenSpeed

Postby rvd » October 24th, 2010, 8:42 pm

The ladder looks very nice and rides well; a bit too sturdy maybe!
The (not-so) tight right hand turn worked fine for me.
rvd

Postby reidabel » October 24th, 2010, 10:07 pm

Ha! Didn't think I'd hear anyone say it might be TOO sturdy :-)

Glad the turn doesn't seem to be a problem for people. The drop at the end, too. I really didn't want to make a down ramp, I don't want people thinking they should enter it from the wrong (intersection) side ... though I'm curious to see if it can still be done the way it is right now. I haven't tried it, but I'm sure it can be done by somebody here.

@heavy - sure, PM me, if the weather's dry I'll be out riding Burchfield again sometime soon.
reidabel

Postby Owlmeat » October 26th, 2010, 8:12 pm

Great job Reid. I don't see any significant risk with it. It's fun.
Owlmeat

Next

Return to MMMBA