Rose Lake

For discussing Mid-Michigan Mountain Biking Association (Formerly Mid-State) topics.

Rose Lake

Postby owosso bob » April 10th, 2011, 3:29 pm

Rode Rose Lake today and it is in summer time condition . The only bad part is that there is a huge tree down just as you get to the ridge line if you are going counter clockwise . The sand is also very loose . Owosso Bob
owosso bob

Re: Rose Lake

Postby AllMountin' » April 12th, 2011, 8:36 pm

Thanks for the heads up Bob. Went out there this afternoon. The place was hoppin'. Talked to three other riders on the trail. There were a pair of equestrians as well, but I only saw them once before they left.

The lake/swamp water is very high- high enough that some of the lowest parts of the trail are submerged completely in water. Virtually everything else is dry and/or firm enough to ride. Ran into several trees across various sections of trail. That's always an issue here- the lack of maintenance.

I ended up running that dirt jump downhill section 7 times. That's a fun little section of trail. I should admit I did go OTB one time. I think I'll be heading back out there tomorrow after work. The weather is calling for partly sunny and 100% chance of riding. :-)

-Steve
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby owosso bob » April 12th, 2011, 8:57 pm

Steve I could see hospital written all over that jump for this young man . By the way Hopkins is about dry enough to ride now only a few bad spots left . Owosso Bob
owosso bob

Postby AllMountin' » April 12th, 2011, 9:22 pm

Excellent. I did swing out there at one point last week to Hopkins. I rode the main walking trail with the stone in it and the ridge right above it. I ventured in as far as that log with the ramps on either side, but found some of it be pretty soft and turned back. There were a few pizza cutters in the trail from riders, but rest assured, they are not mine.

I'll be happy to have the local trail option. Riding Owosso/Corunna and the Miner River Trail is okay, but I learned last weekend that riding the flats doesn't translate to trails real well. I need more hills in my daily routine.
--=Steve=--

AllMountin'

Postby AllMountin' » April 17th, 2011, 9:50 pm

Rode Rose Lake again today (Sunday). The high winds don't really penetrate the thick woods. Wasn't sure what to expect, but the trails were solid again.

The water level is slowly receding and I was able to walk the bike across a couple of passes where I turned back last time. Most of the trails are clear and dry, with the exception of dead fall and leaves. Visibility is great. Great riding.

-Steve
--=Steve=--

AllMountin'

Postby AllMountin' » April 23rd, 2011, 9:44 pm

It occurs to me that I may be talking to myself. Just the same...

Rode this again this afternoon. While there are a handful of problem areas on certain trails, the vast majority is in prime riding condition. The sandy stuff is relatively firm for now. If you don't mind a few dismounts, these trails are a great option. If you know your way around, you can avoid the low/wet stuff completely.

I spent about 45 minutes finding/hauling dead fall and building a log pile over a large downed tree that has been a dismount for quite some time. The location is on the first trail on the east side of the main trail bridge that runs north off the main trail. This is my favorite trail out there and it runs the ridge line above the creek. There are two difficult, rooted up climbs, followed by a descent that runs down to the tree in question.

The pile is definitely larger and a bit more difficult than average, but I did run it 5 times in both directions and found it to be reasonably smooth and easier than it looks. When coming from the east (toward the uphill), this allows you to stay clipped in for the immediate left turn and climb, which is very difficult to start unclipped. The pile rides better(easier) from the west (coming down the hill), but the approach is more difficult. You are braking and making a left, then right turn- and only have a few feet to line up the pile. My hardtail clears the top fine, and it still has the large chainring in front.

I'm posting this because I'd like to hear some feedback on it. If anyone happens to get out there and ride it, post back and LMK if it needs to be altered or if you think it is unsafe, etc... I'll be out there a few times a week until other local trails start drying out, so I can work on it if necessary. This seems like the best wet weather trail around. Happy riding.

-Steve
--=Steve=--

AllMountin'

Rose Lake GPS Maps

Postby AllMountin' » April 27th, 2011, 10:08 pm

In case anyone is interested- I've been playing around with MyTracks on the Android phone and uploaded one route I like to run at Rose Lake to Garmin Connect. It is separated into two routes- one each for the North and South- when really it's all one loop. The North route leaves off at the main trail bridge over Vermillion Creek. The South loop picks up there and takes you back to the parking lot. Total is around 5 miles.

North:
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/81997129

South:
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/81997155

For any MyTracks users: You can "Export" a ".gpx" file from above link and then copy/paste it into your phone directory: "sdcard/mytracks/gpx". From there, you just go into the "Tracks" sub-menu and select "Import all". I haven't yet tried to actually navigate using MyTracks- it probably isn't real great for that. It logs fairly well though.

Note: The loop trail next to Vermillion is shown running clockwise and doubling back over a short section of trail. It can be reversed and requires no double tracking in that direction. I prefer to climb the bigger hills on the first lap and reverse the direction for subsequent laps. Personal preference. The North is way more fun and challenging IMO.

Rode here 2 nights ago and the trail conditions were terrific, with the exception of approx. 4 dismounts for low/wet areas.

-Steve
--=Steve=--

AllMountin'

Postby TenSpeed » April 29th, 2011, 12:28 pm

Rode today with xcrdr and pfox90, and another guy, not sure if he is on here or not. Trail was pretty nice considering all the rain we have had. I never rode the part we did today, and it is pretty *beep* nice.
TenSpeed

Postby AllMountin' » April 29th, 2011, 3:03 pm

Did you ride my new log pile on the ridge trail by Vermillion Creek? It's the one over the large log at the bottom of the hill and has a wedge shaped rock built in on the west side...

Rose Lake hasn't disappointed me yet. I swear it has an invisible canopy that blocks the rainfall or something. I don't bother trying anywhere else after a recent rain. Convenient location for me, too.

I know Yankee loves rain, but that's a bit far for everyday rides.

-Steve
--=Steve=--

AllMountin'

Postby TenSpeed » April 29th, 2011, 3:11 pm

I saw it, and by the time it registered, it was too late. pfox was behind me, and I tried to get him to ride it, but I think it was too late. Looks like a good pile.
TenSpeed

Postby xcrdr » April 29th, 2011, 4:31 pm

heavy fluid wrote:I saw it, and by the time it registered, it was too late. pfox was behind me, and I tried to get him to ride it, but I think it was too late. Looks like a good pile.

Not the only "good pile" that we found out there. Some folks could be more responsible with pets. Rose lake needs a little love right now. Overall not too bad. I kind of like some of the work that's been done there. My dog did the double jump first time he saw it!
It's not your strength or skill. It's your level of commitment.

Specialized Epic Comp Carbon
Redline d660 1X10
1995 Giant ATX 890 with Rock Shox Judy XC still running!
Specialized 6Fattie Pro :D

2016 Goal: Ride some
2017 Goal: Ride more
xcrdr

Postby TenSpeed » April 29th, 2011, 5:05 pm

You mean this?

I love that dog!!!
TenSpeed

Postby pfox90 » April 29th, 2011, 5:36 pm

Hucking double gaps. Logan is a g.
------__o
----_`\<,_
---(_)/ (_)
pfox90

Postby xcrdr » April 29th, 2011, 9:03 pm

AllMountin' wrote:Did you ride my new log pile on the ridge trail by Vermillion Creek? It's the one over the large log at the bottom of the hill and has a wedge shaped rock built in on the west side...

Rose Lake hasn't disappointed me yet. I swear it has an invisible canopy that blocks the rainfall or something. I don't bother trying anywhere else after a recent rain. Convenient location for me, too.

I know Yankee loves rain, but that's a bit far for everyday rides.

-Steve

For as long as I can remember the trail has been ridden counter clockwise. With the low trafic out there maybe I should try clockwise for the fun of it. The log pile looks pretty good. On things like that I would like to see something like what has been done at Novi and a few other trails. Packing some dirt ramps on the up and down side. Maybe the climb would be an easier set up. Thanks for stacking that stuff up. That log looks too big for anything but a chainsaw. I wish it didn't get so overgrown out there. I'm usually done June and come back in the fall.
It's not your strength or skill. It's your level of commitment.

Specialized Epic Comp Carbon
Redline d660 1X10
1995 Giant ATX 890 with Rock Shox Judy XC still running!
Specialized 6Fattie Pro :D

2016 Goal: Ride some
2017 Goal: Ride more
xcrdr

Postby TenSpeed » April 29th, 2011, 9:44 pm

I would love to see a few table tops out there as well, I think that it would run so smoothly.
TenSpeed

Next

Return to MMMBA