Owosso- Hopkins Lake Info

For discussing Mid-Michigan Mountain Biking Association (Formerly Mid-State) topics.

Owosso- Hopkins Lake Info

Postby AllMountin' » May 9th, 2011, 11:31 pm

After fielding multiple inquiries over the last couple of days regarding the riding and layout of the Owosso/Hopkins Lake trails- I think it is prudent to share some information for those interested. Bob has done a tremendous job of marking these trails with paint/ribbons/arrows. There are 3 loops: Blue, Yellow, and White loops. The white is pretty basic, while the yellow and blue contain some climbs and descents of varying difficulty. Trails can be run in either direction, and are challenging in places in either direction. The blue loop contains one unclimbable hill (okay, it is climbable- I just suck) when run in the counter-clockwise direction. The rest is IMO pretty manageable.

Here is an overview of *most* of the trails at Hopkins Lake. Note the orientation is North to the right, instead of the top of the screen:

The start/finish is located at the main parking lot nearest the entrance off M-52. The park is located at the southern edge of town. The area to the East of the lake contains some very tight and twisty trail snaking through the woods. The SE loop contains a terrific new skinny bridge that adds a little challenge. Overall, the trails are mostly featureless.

Disclaimer: This is not in any way official, and is not the way the trails are necessarily *supposed* to be run. The following GPS track is a nice route that encompasses *most* of the trail, and ties everything together quite nicely IMO:

http://connect.garmin.com/player/84665338

You can export a GPX (or other file type) to your own device, or play the track to see the basic elevation profile and routing. This was tracked with an Android phone, and is likely not super precise. Speeds should be disregarded. The route is roughly 4.5 miles.

The route is as follows: Depart the lot and head South(there's a trail worn into the grass) until you reach the boardwalk. Follow the boardwalk and trail to the end. Turn right and follow the white trail counter-clockwise. You will eventually come around to a two track, where you jog left slightly, and cut back into the woods. Almost immediately, there will be a small, steep incline on the left, which takes you up on the ridge trail. The GPS track will take you through the yellow loop from here. You'll cut off the yellow and into the blue on the East side of the lake to hit the tight, twisty stuff and the newly cut trail. Continue on the blue and it will eventually bring you back to the boardwalk, where you'll retrace your route to the parking lot. I know... this description is useless. :-)

Here is a shorter alternate route, which starts on the blue, running counter-clockwise. It contains the unclimbable hill(which is, in fact, climbable) and runs basically blue, yellow, white, and out:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/84665355

When you are done running a circuit, switch it up and it's a whole other trail in reverse. You can mix and match sections and create a lot of different combos. Enjoy.

--------------------

Bob- feel free to correct or add anything. I had a confused lady asking me about trail routing and if there was any kind of map available. There is not, to my knowledge, and if there were it would be dated now with the new trail. I'm wondering about the possibility of posting a sign/map at the start of the boardwalk or maybe at the end of the boardwalk. It could be something as simple as a GPS track like above, blown up and traced with the appropriate colors for each trail section. Just a thought.

Perhaps it would be useful to post the group ride info here as well. As it is- it's buried in a nondescript thread for scheduling discussion. I rode 4 laps and close to 20 miles out there today. Other than a few small areas, the trail is pretty prime and fast. The bridge in the swampy part of yellow definitely needs a little love. I could probably fix that part. It can be ridden as is. Water is still encroaching on the trail just North of it- as I'm sure you know. Big thanks to those who put in the skinny bridge on that back section. Love it!
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Re: Owosso- Hopkins Lake Info

Postby ibisman » May 10th, 2011, 8:20 am

Nice trail...I hope Bob was able to keep the dumb ass ATV's and snowmobiles of it. I like the bridges across the swampy areas after you come screamin down that big hill...it really get narrow the faster you go. Nice work Bob!
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
32,845.5 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike trail miles--:1416
2016 miles..... 228 1/2 :)

Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails
ibisman

Postby owosso bob » May 10th, 2011, 7:33 pm

Steve thanks for posting the layout of the trails . The reason there is not a map yet is because I just finally got done with the last section north of the cell tower and have one more section to do across the field into the southeast section and then all of the loops will be done and properly marked and I can finish the map and post it somewhere out there. The city gave me permission to build a Kiosk at the beginning of the trail by the west parking lot but have just not had the time to do it . Also the city said they would look into building a crushed limestone trail from the parking lot to the wooden bridge , we will see on that . Andy R. is responsible for the skinny . He also built the bridge across the valley and I talked to him about it this morning and we are not sure we can save it , but have to wait until the water recedes to see . Now that most of the trails are in we can start building some of the berms that will make it really flow in some tight spots . One of the problems we have faced is that we have to make every thing tight so the quads can not get into the trails . We got a ton of rain again this morning and every thing is bad again . When it dries out I hope people will come and ride the trails and enjoy them as much as we all do . One other thing if any one has any good suggestions for the trails please get in touch with me and we will see what can be done . Hopefully we can make Wed. at 5:30 a permanent ride day but have had trouble in the past getting any one to show up . Ibisman thaks for heads up , you will have to come and ride again now that it is near done . Owosso bob
owosso bob

Postby AllMountin' » May 10th, 2011, 10:52 pm

Would a non-elevated, ground level log ride parallel to the trail be out of the question? I'm thinking something along the lines of the one they just put in at Anderson. A very low risk challenge. I wouldn't mind working on something like that. I don't have a spot or a log in mind, but am curious.

Hopefully the bridge can be salvaged. The steep, short hill on the one side is a bear w/out speed/momentum.

So- to be clear- we're canceling for tomorrow, yeah? I don't want to not show and leave you hanging, but it sounds like the trail is not ready from what you are saying.
--=Steve=--

AllMountin'

Postby Di_bear » May 10th, 2011, 10:54 pm

I don't think tomorrow would be good after the rain, but I won't be able to make it, tomorrow evening. I have a prior engagement, then my Wednesdays should be freed up. What days are you doing trail work, Bob?
Di 2.0: Image
MCMBA Vice Chairperson
Team Tree Farm

"He's like kryptonite to aluminum." - dirt
"There is a fine line between fearless and *beep* stupid." - Jerry68's wife
Di_bear

Postby owosso bob » May 11th, 2011, 7:00 am

Steve we are not riding today it is just too wet . The log would be fine as long as we have a bypass . I know what you mean about the bridge and making it up the hill . Would really like to get a couple of berms done . Di , I am usually out there on Mon. & Wed. about 9:00 on the east side of the lake .
owosso bob

Postby owosso bob » May 13th, 2011, 9:37 pm

This rain tonight is going to shut down Hopkins Lake for a while and it was just getting dry enough to ride . I can not believe how hard it is raining . Back to road riding .
owosso bob

Postby Di_bear » May 16th, 2011, 10:24 pm

owosso bob wrote:Steve we are not riding today it is just too wet . The log would be fine as long as we have a bypass . I know what you mean about the bridge and making it up the hill . Would really like to get a couple of berms done . Di , I am usually out there on Mon. & Wed. about 9:00 on the east side of the lake .

East side of the lake...is that where I met you last time?
MCMBA Vice Chairperson
Team Tree Farm

Di_bear

Postby owosso bob » May 17th, 2011, 7:20 am

That is the side Di but I can not be there the next 2 weeks as I have doctor appointments , with a tiger ball game thrown in also . Hope it quits raining soon as some parts take a while to dry out .
owosso bob

Postby Di_bear » May 17th, 2011, 8:27 pm

owosso bob wrote:That is the side Di but I can not be there the next 2 weeks as I have doctor appointments , with a tiger ball game thrown in also . Hope it quits raining soon as some parts take a while to dry out .

That's okay. Just let me know when you start up again and I'll try to make it out for a few sessions. I need to get some work in.
MCMBA Vice Chairperson
Team Tree Farm

Di_bear

Postby owosso bob » June 3rd, 2011, 4:37 pm

Hopkins Lake is now very rideable except the valley on the yellow loop which can be bypassed . I need some one with a D. R . trimmer or the likes to help in one area . Jay was kind enough to come and help remove all but one of the downed trees .I also need help cutting back some of the face slappers . Ride on finally . Bob
owosso bob

Postby AllMountin' » June 14th, 2011, 9:48 pm

Finally got in a couple of rides here over the last week. Conditions are quite solid. Did white->yellow->blue->yellow->blue. Good for about 8 miles.

Really digging the new berms on the yellow. Much improvement to the flow through those turns.

Need to pick up some clippers for next time...
--=Steve=--

AllMountin'

Postby AllMountin' » June 16th, 2011, 9:12 pm

Trail is in remarkably good shape despite the rain. Very few soft spots.

Rode Clockwise: White, Yellow, Blue, Yellow, Blue- for another 8 mile ride. Makes for a nice ride. White is an easy warm up, then hit the yellow/blue twice before sundown. Logs start from the East parking lot on the far side of the lake:

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/scroaghoKKs

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/92892480

I love how the skinny bridge on the back section is suspended over a sea of Poison Ivy. Definitely raises the stakes and gives one plenty of incentive to mind their balance. ;-)

Also not sure what the best path is to bypass the wrecked bridge on yellow. I've taken to just riding the next hill one way; then pulling a U-turn to run it back the other. It does the job.
--=Steve=--

AllMountin'

Postby owosso bob » July 6th, 2011, 7:40 pm

There is now a bypass for the wrecked bridge on the yellow loop , it is about 30 to 40 feet south so the loop is back intact . I rode it tonight and it is almost as good the original . I am hoping to get the north section of the blue loop mowed soon , if anyone has a DR Trimmer or tractor with a brush hog we could sure use it . I sure invite people to come and ride out there , I think you will be surprised . owosso bob
owosso bob

Postby Di_bear » July 7th, 2011, 8:13 pm

Bob, what's your road riding schedule like? What days are you available?
MCMBA Vice Chairperson
Team Tree Farm

Di_bear

Next

Return to MMMBA