Lansing River Trail unofficial conditions

For discussing Mid-Michigan Mountain Biking Association (Formerly Mid-State) topics.

Lansing River Trail unofficial conditions

Postby TenSpeed » December 12th, 2011, 4:36 pm

Since winter is just around the corner, and this is so close to my house, I have been riding this more and more to get a quick ride in. It's hard to not ride it when it's a mile from your house.

Most of this is clear, at least from the Kalamazoo entrance all the way to the fish ladder in old town. There are a few spots that the sun never hits, so they are still snow covered, and iced over. Going under east bound Saginaw is treacherous, as the river has gone over the trail, and frozen across the bridge. I walked it today, since it was frozen. I will probably just cross Saginaw in the future to avoid any potential issue.

The lack of foot and bike traffic made for a really nice ride today. I did see a few people out and about near mid day as it warmed up a little. I did have a small incident with another person, who came onto the trail near LCC and really wanted to see my bike. He called over a few times to let him see my bike. I didn't hang around to see what he wanted. I have never had an issue in the past with anyone on the trail, other than my wife being verbally harassed by a few drunk homeless guys.

Heading out towards Hawk Island and the trail is immaculate. All of the bridges are clear, as is the trail. This is probably my favorite part, and honestly, this time of year, it is beautiful out there.
TenSpeed

Re: Lansing River Trail unofficial conditions

Postby centralRH » December 12th, 2011, 5:01 pm

Rode it yesterday and almost had a very bad spill under Saginaw. I was clipping along in the upper teens when I realized I was on ice. I was riding with studs, but they slipped a little and I tapped the brakes and it was all over. Somehow I got unclipped from my pedals and was able to stay upright, but my bike went flying into the cement wall. It could have been very, very bad. As stated above the conditions are very good except for this spot. There are large numbers of waterfowl between Potter Park and Hawk Island if your into that sort of thing.
centralRH

Postby F7Cannon » December 13th, 2011, 6:48 pm

centralRH wrote: There are large numbers of waterfowl between Potter Park and Hawk Island if your into that sort of thing.

There are large numbers of waterfowl near the river banks along the green loop at Anderson Park if your into that sort of thing. :wink:
F7Cannon

Postby SteveF » December 14th, 2011, 7:35 am

What's up with that big face mark some guy left on a bridge out there?
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby F7Cannon » December 14th, 2011, 1:35 pm

SteveF wrote:What's up with that big face mark some guy left on a bridge out there?

:?:
F7Cannon

Postby SteveF » December 14th, 2011, 3:30 pm

F7Cannon wrote:
SteveF wrote:What's up with that big face mark some guy left on a bridge out there?

:?:

Just remembering the mark that the River Trail left on you and figuring you must've made an impression on it! :wink:
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby F7Cannon » December 14th, 2011, 4:23 pm

Ahhhh, I see. For a minute I thought you meant somebody defaced one of the bridges at Anderson. :lol:
F7Cannon

Postby TenSpeed » December 15th, 2011, 12:46 pm

Probably not too many more 50 degree days left this year, so I took advantage of this and hit the "trail" again. Under the Kalamazoo bridge, water is completely over the trail. Probably a foot deep or so. There are new signs that ask bicyclists to warn pedestrians when passing. I like this, but unfortunately, so many people wear headphones when walking/running that even a bell doesn't warn them. I try to just give as much room as possible. If they can't hear my Incredi-Bell, that is their problem. There is water over the trail under east bound Saginaw, but not much, maybe a few inches. These two spots are the big problem areas, along with under the first bridge right after you run parallel to 496/127.
TenSpeed

Postby TenSpeed » January 1st, 2012, 3:52 pm

Not much to report. Saw a few bikers and runners out, which is nice to see. Glad to get out and be able to ride on January 1. The bridge under eastbound Saginaw is messy again. There is a film of mud right in the turn as you exit heading towards the fish ladder. Slippery as ice, so be careful.
TenSpeed

Postby jonw9 » February 5th, 2012, 3:08 pm

I believe this is an official closed, and not a suggestion/request...

Just a quick note from the LSJ today... The Lansing River Trail will be closed under Saginaw Street Bridge from now until September! There is a detour setup for the summer and it should be a much nicer section once it is all done!
"Seriously though, you clearly think a lot more than I do when you are riding." -jajones
"You're going to suffer on a single speed, you might as well suffer going faster." - Indigenous
jonw9

Postby TenSpeed » February 6th, 2012, 7:36 pm

The bridge under east bound Saginaw is definitely closed. In fact, it is gone. They are currently tearing it out. They have made a detour that just crosses Saginaw, and then you continue on. Since we have had almost no snow, nothing to report. Ran into a guy and we chatted it up at Mcguire Park. He was on a Trek 4 series I believe, converted to a commuter. He said he rode the trails, so we discussed that a little. Didn't get his name. Not sure if he uses the forum or not.
TenSpeed

Postby TenSpeed » March 2nd, 2012, 11:39 am

Conditions as of 3-2-12 are not good. Heading west from the Kalamazoo entrance, right after the ride along the 496/127 connector, under the first bridge is completely flooded. You can hike it over the railroad tracks. I tried to ride up the rocks, but only made it halfway before having to dismount. There are also a few inches of water across the trail again before you hit the Aurelius road bridge. After the turn to head towards Hawk Island is completely flooded. There is no way to access Potters Park Zoo or anything past that via the River Trail. I would say that it is at least 8" deep if not more. No way to ride through there without dipping the bb in that nasty water. Most of the trail is clear if you make your way towards and past Hawk Island. If you decide to go to Mcguire Park, there are a few inches of moving water across the trail about 5/8 of a mile from the end at Jolly Road.
TenSpeed

Postby TenSpeed » March 6th, 2012, 3:31 pm

Conditions as of 3-6-12. The water over the trail near Potters Park is still there, but is passable now. I took it slow, and I made it keeping the bb dry. The water over the trail near the 496/127 connector is still there. I didn't bother testing that, just went up and over the railroad tracks. I would imagine that with the weather getting nicer, there will be more people out on the trail.
TenSpeed

Postby rvd » March 10th, 2012, 2:43 pm

Except for the Kalamazoo underpass at the western end (which can be avoided by entering from the car park) all sections of the trail, including potter park, rail bridge, and Hawk Island connector, are dry and clean.
rvd

Postby TenSpeed » March 10th, 2012, 10:44 pm

Thanks for the update. Hoping to head out there again tomorrow.
TenSpeed

Next

Return to MMMBA