Vintage Raleigh --> Budget CX Bike

Anything and everything about cyclocross.

Postby balexander87 » March 26th, 2012, 10:56 am

Curious to hear people's opinions. Got my hands on this old Raleigh, and am thinking about trying to outfit it to do some dirt road rides and whatnot. From what I can tell, tire clearance is the biggest concern. Any other tips or thoughts?

EDIT: I just looked up the difference in rim diameter to go from the 27" rims here to 700c rims. Looks like it only equates to a 4mm change in brake reach. By the looks of how the brakes are set up, that should definitely be doable. Cool!
balexander87

Re: Vintage Raleigh --> Budget CX Bike

Postby i69whitey » March 26th, 2012, 8:11 pm

so now there are 2 racers in my newly created class:
Ghetto-Cross
not the fastest, or state-of-the-art ride, but with the proper motor she goes OK

it's always a shame to mess with a vintage raleigh, but it appears yours is a newer one
if it was a '60's frame or a super-course i would say keep it stock, but do it up your way and ride

I used the original center-pull Raleigh branded brakes, they reached fine for the 700-c's
you may want to up-grade pads later
i'm running 700x35's now, plenty of room.
the smaller diameter rim gives ya just a little more clearance for tread

there are some indexed shifters and even some vintage brake/shifters for 6 and 7 speed rear shifting
i used a cheap grip-shift myself
or just swap rims/tires and ride, upgrade as you go
any questions that sheldon brown can't answer, feel free to pm me

they like to be rode hard and put up wet :twisted:
"...So whether you have got 29-, 26- or 20-inch wheels, whether you ride XC or DH, whether you've got boobs or balls, i hear you. Let's go ride." - Rachel Atherton
"Ride your bike, sleep when your dead." - dirt
http://thehubofdetroit.org/
i69whitey

Postby balexander87 » March 27th, 2012, 5:41 am

You're right. I did take some liberties with the word "vintage". Nearest I can tell, it's from some time in the 80s, and a very low end bike. At first I was more concerned with keeping it stock, but those feelings are all but gone now.

The stock freewheel is a 5-speed. Need to check with Sheldon to see how hard it would be to slip an extra cog in there. Also, the cottered crank is a bit stubborn from not having been touched since new and having been left to the elements for some years before I acquired the bike. I really need to get in there and repack things, so I guess I'll be seeing if I can get some replacement cotters.

Edit: Sweet looking bike, btw :icon_thumleft:
balexander87

Postby i69whitey » March 27th, 2012, 12:32 pm

scrap the cotter crank, they will consistantly loosen
the 'newer' four-sided designs are cheap and last almost forever

and six (or maybe even 7) speed will spin right on
gotta have shifters to match the cassette (or friction shifters)
"...So whether you have got 29-, 26- or 20-inch wheels, whether you ride XC or DH, whether you've got boobs or balls, i hear you. Let's go ride." - Rachel Atherton
"Ride your bike, sleep when your dead." - dirt
http://thehubofdetroit.org/
i69whitey

Postby balexander87 » March 27th, 2012, 8:16 pm

So I got the bike mostly torn down tonight. Here are some pics of the workspace. It's a work in progress itself. That is an old shower caddy I'm using as a portable tool/rag/whatever holder :-) I just move it around to where ever I need it and when I'm done I can move it over against the wall out of the way! Improvising is a strong suit of mine!

The cottered crank put up a fight, but in the end it proved futile to resist 8)

balexander87

Postby bh357 » March 27th, 2012, 9:01 pm

Suntour Ultra 6 will spin right on. Other freewheels will require a re-space and re-dish of the wheel... and a frame cold set to do properly. I don't know what indexing would work with Ultra 6.

I'd either do a singlespeed cross, or get cheeeep used modern components to build on the frame.

Drop hangers for brakes are easy enough to make, for using 700c wheels on a 27" frame.
www.teamsandbag.com
www.mysinglespeed.com

"He didn't have to be drunk to be an a$$hole!" - Geff
bh357

Postby balexander87 » March 28th, 2012, 5:20 am

I'll have to look into the Suntour freewheel you mention. An extra gear would certainly be nice. I don't guess indexing would be an issue if I were to stick with the friction shifters that are currently on the bike. Indexed shifters would be awesome, but I'm trying to keep this things on a tight, tight budget so I may just live with the friction shifters.

I was starting to think about a single speed. Would take away a lot of the potential issues with the shifters and I've always liked riding a single speed. Regardless, you can bet your life I'm only gonna put cheap parts on it. The biggest question for me is the bottom bracket, I haven't taken a real close look at it yet, but I think the cups and spindle are in decent shape. If I could get away with just getting some new ball bearings, some grease, and a couple of new cotters, that would be awesome. Although, I know there are potential issues with the cottered cranks working loose...

If I stick with the side-pull brakes that are on the bike, I don't think reach will be an issue. Set up for the 27" rims, the pads were at the top of the slides. From what I've read, you only need about 4mm of travel to reach from 27" rims to 700c rims, so I should be okay. *fingers crossed*
balexander87

Postby mtb_frk » March 30th, 2012, 9:18 pm

Ask Chunky what he did for his Le tour he picked up a few years. Welded on some bosses, re-painted etc... Turned out nice for a frankencross bike.
KLM/Cold Stone Racing
mtb_frk

Postby bh357 » March 31st, 2012, 8:25 am

mtb_frk wrote:Ask Chunky what he did for his Le tour he picked up a few years. Welded on some bosses, re-painted etc... Turned out nice for a frankencross bike.

Le *beep*...

http://podiumquest.blogspot.com/2009/02/from-ashes-to-glory.html
http://podiumquest.blogspot.com/2009/02/from-ashes-to-glory-part-2.html
http://podiumquest.blogspot.com/2009/03/from-ashes-to-glory-part-3.html
www.teamsandbag.com
www.mysinglespeed.com

"He didn't have to be drunk to be an a$$hole!" - Geff
bh357

Postby balexander87 » April 3rd, 2012, 10:36 am

That's a sweet looking build. Probably a little more than what I'm looking to do currently. I'd like to try to get this thing up and running as inexpensively as possible. That means I'll probably be keeping the brakes, leaving the frame as is for now, and trying to reuse as much of the bearing parts as possible. The cups and spindle are in good shape and the headset is pretty decent as well. I'll probably continue to run the 27" rims until I can scrape some cash together and find a deal on some 700c wheels. Eventually, though, I do plan to strip it down and get it powder coated. Also, will most likely go the SS route if possible. Although, I'm somewhat unsure how I might do that if I'm sticking with the original cottered crank. Any tips?
balexander87

Postby balexander87 » July 12th, 2012, 8:57 pm

Update time :-) Picked up a set of 27" wheels off craigslist. They look almost identical to the ones that came on the bike, just with rims in better shape. Should roll nice once I get the bearings re-packed.

Right now, I'm leaning towards just putting it back together with the original parts and worry about upgrading bottom bracket + crank later. I just want to get it rolling!
balexander87

Postby balexander87 » August 6th, 2013, 7:17 pm

Well, finally got it all together. Took it out for a spin this evening. It's fun to ride. I was worried about the gearing, but it felt okay on the few small hills I rode. Going downhill is still a little scary...

I still think that I'll eventually spin a freewheel on it, add some brakes and some knobbier tires and gravel grind with it, but this is a fun interim state :-)

balexander87

Postby balexander87 » March 28th, 2017, 5:47 am

Just a couple quick updated photos. Not really seeing CX duty, but is a great all-around ride!

balexander87

Postby balexander87 » May 30th, 2019, 6:42 pm

Been a while since I updated this. A lot has happened. We’ve moved back to Missouri to the fairly bike friendly college town of Columbia. I tried keeping the Raleigh fixed, but the hills are killer here, so she now has brakes and a freewheel. I have about a 6.5 mile commute to work and it is darn near perfect. Gears would be nice for some of the hills, but it is gets the job done and still hasn’t cost me much.

Lots of mixed surface bike paths/trails around town and this bike works perfectly for them. Hoping to take some longer excursions on the Katy Trail soon. Sort of evolving into a commuter/adventure bike. Fun to see where the path leads!

Thought I had a good pic, but turns out this is he best I have. Will get a better one and add soon.

balexander87

Postby balexander87 » May 31st, 2019, 6:55 pm

balexander87

Next

Return to Cyclocross