Marquette ?

Everything related to mountain biking that's not covered in the forums below

Marquette ?

Postby flamingo » July 10th, 2018, 7:08 am

I know - the question about the trails in that area has been asked many times.

I have got 5 days vacation and going to Marquette and Copper Harbor.
I am planning to ride 1.5 - 2 days in Marquette. Is that enough time to explore all the trails in the area? From the Trail Forks map I saw that there are thre major areas/etworks around Marquette - North, South and RAMBA. Any suggestions on what is the best or the best combination of trails to ride. Any info will be helpfull. I am not planning to jump of the cliffs. But should be able to tackle some technical stuff.
My ride will be 26er with 135mm front and 105 rear suspension 2.4 knobby Nic up front and 2.2 Ardent on the back.

Thanks.
Let's make 26ers great again!
flamingo

Re: Marquette ?

Postby c0nsumer » July 10th, 2018, 8:40 am

With your fitness you can definitely ride all the XC-friendly stuff in both North and and South in one day, riding between the two. It'll be a long day (5-6 hours) but is doable.

RAMBA stuff is probably best done as another day.

For North, ride everything but Wildcat/Pine Knob and you can make a nice big loop. For South, be sure to ride all of Red, Green, Yellow from the trailhead down to the river (Gorgeous) and Blue back. Do a full lap of Blue if you feel like it.

Wildcat on North is fun, but is an out and back unless you do some wayfinding, and Pine Knob is some pretty serious chunk in places.

Personally, I would do 3 days in Marquette / RAMBA and 2 in Copper Harbor.
Last edited by c0nsumer on July 10th, 2018, 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby crustaceous_flora » July 10th, 2018, 10:47 am

I've rode both Marquette and Copper Harbor a few times now. I'll have to disagree with the user above.. i'd say that you should spend 3 days in Copper Harbor and only 2 In Marquette. Marquette is amazing, but CH has better riding in my opinion. And, they have the shuttle on the weekends so you can check out literally every downhill trail there. There's the Keewenaw Point trails (Phase 1 and Phase 2) if you need your XC fix. It all depends on what you're looking for though, because Marquette does have some rowdy downhills and fun tech as well.
crustaceous_flora

Postby Jared13 » July 10th, 2018, 11:29 am

crustaceous_flora wrote:I've rode both Marquette and Copper Harbor a few times now. I'll have to disagree with the user above.. i'd say that you should spend 3 days in Copper Harbor and only 2 In Marquette. Marquette is amazing, but CH has better riding in my opinion. And, they have the shuttle on the weekends so you can check out literally every downhill trail there. There's the Keewenaw Point trails (Phase 1 and Phase 2) if you need your XC fix. It all depends on what you're looking for though, because Marquette does have some rowdy downhills and fun tech as well.

I've only ridden CH once (for a few days) and Marquette 2-3 times (for a few days each time). I would have to disagree with 3 in CH and 2 in Marquette. Both have amazing riding but I think the Marquette area has more trails to ride and that's why I would spend the extra day there. And with the shuttle service at Copper Harbor, one can hit most of the fun trails (Flow, Overflow, OTE, Danimal, Flying Squirrel etc) without having to do that silly climbing BS. Add in a few (dozen) times on Red Trail (#faveCHtrail) along with a trip on the Keewenaw Point trails and you'll have quite the experience!

In Marquette, you have the North and South Trails, RAMBA, and Harlow Lake (#faveMItrail). I think each one is worth a day, however, Harlow Lake might not be for everyone. It's a more of a techy trail that one should be willing to do some exploring on. There are some amazing rock faces that just beg to be sessioned.
Jared13

Postby crustaceous_flora » July 10th, 2018, 11:51 am

Jared13 wrote:I've only ridden CH once (for a few days) and Marquette 2-3 times (for a few days each time). I would have to disagree with 3 in CH and 2 in Marquette. Both have amazing riding but I think the Marquette area has more trails to ride and that's why I would spend the extra day there. And with the shuttle service at Copper Harbor, one can hit most of the fun trails (Flow, Overflow, OTE, Danimal, Flying Squirrel etc) without having to do that silly climbing BS. Add in a few (dozen) times on Red Trail (#faveCHtrail) along with a trip on the Keewenaw Point trails and you'll have quite the experience!

In Marquette, you have the North and South Trails, RAMBA, and Harlow Lake (#faveMItrail). I think each one is worth a day, however, Harlow Lake might not be for everyone. It's a more of a techy trail that one should be willing to do some exploring on. There are some amazing rock faces that just beg to be sessioned.

I'm a downhill fanboy, and just find those DHs at Copper Harbor to be much better than the ones at Marquette(like i said Marquette is still amazing though). And if you're trying to session some rock faces, then session Man Pants on Overflow 8)
crustaceous_flora

Postby Jared13 » July 10th, 2018, 12:48 pm

crustaceous_flora wrote:
Jared13 wrote:I've only ridden CH once (for a few days) and Marquette 2-3 times (for a few days each time). I would have to disagree with 3 in CH and 2 in Marquette. Both have amazing riding but I think the Marquette area has more trails to ride and that's why I would spend the extra day there. And with the shuttle service at Copper Harbor, one can hit most of the fun trails (Flow, Overflow, OTE, Danimal, Flying Squirrel etc) without having to do that silly climbing BS. Add in a few (dozen) times on Red Trail (#faveCHtrail) along with a trip on the Keewenaw Point trails and you'll have quite the experience!

I'm a downhill fanboy, and just find those DHs at Copper Harbor to be much better than the ones at Marquette(like i said Marquette is still amazing though). And if you're trying to session some rock faces, then session Man Pants on Overflow 8)

I'm right there with you but on a 135 front/105 rear full sus, but IMO the trails at Marquette would be more suited for the bike as the DH trails in CH are better suited for bikes with more suspension. While riding Flow and Overflow I wish I had my Enduro instead of my Camber EVO. Both trails were still a blast but my 130 front/120 rear sus left me wanting a bit more squish at times.

The rock faces on Overflow are similar to what one can find at Harlow Lake quality wise, but CH comes up a bit short in comparison when you look at quantity and variety.
Jared13

Postby c0nsumer » July 10th, 2018, 1:25 pm

Oh, and here's my boilerplate Marquette recommendations: https://nuxx.net/blog/2016/08/05/marque ... or-trolls/
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby santaclausersolo » July 10th, 2018, 1:55 pm

1 day max in copper harbor, spend your time in marquette ishpeming.

Copper harbor is fun, but not nearly as good in my opinion.
santaclausersolo

Postby Leroi Brown » July 11th, 2018, 10:55 am

I think it's a win-win whether you spend more time in CH or Marquette. BOTH are excellent! Which one is better is a matter of personal opinion. I think that, if you only spend a day in CH you'll sell yourself short if you've never been there, and it's quite far away, so being "close" by already is a plus.
"Falling down the mountain
End up kissing dirt
Look a little closer
Sometimes it wouldn't hurt" - INXS - Kiss The Dirt

Cross Country Cycle Racing
www.crosscountrycycle.com
Leroi Brown

Postby b_b » July 11th, 2018, 2:37 pm

Add one day 3 days each problem solved!
b_b

Postby AllMountin' » July 13th, 2018, 1:09 pm

Most of Copper Harbor is not directional, and most of it is pretty good both ways. Climbing red trail is a great challenge. I prefer descending woopidy over flow. Some think flow is the greatest trail on earth. Copper Harbor is remote and rugged, and has different rock than what you'll find in Marquette. It's worth spending a couple days, if you value that experience.

In Marquette, you'll be doing yourself a disservice by riding for mileage, and only doing the main color loops. Ride up the grade and do dogger and eh line. And you won't do them justice with just one blind run. Ride 'Scary'. Try your luck on 'no dab'. Ride Harlow, even if you have to walk half of it. It may be the most unique riding area in the entire state. Don't limit yourself to the same kind of riding you can do down here every day. My opinion.
Last edited by AllMountin' on July 13th, 2018, 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby c0nsumer » July 13th, 2018, 1:14 pm

Down Dogger is SO much fun, on any kind of bike. I definitely agree on riding it many times... I'd say it takes me 3x per trip to remember all the key spots and really feel comfortable moving on it. (Take it slowish at first. It's completely rollable and fine on an XC 29er, but there's parts that'll mess you up if you go off trail, get too much air, or get your line wrong.)
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

c0nsumer

Postby santaclausersolo » July 13th, 2018, 1:31 pm

AllMountin' wrote:Most of Copper Harbor is not directional, and most of it is pretty good both ways. Climbing red trail is a great challenge. I prefer descending woopidy over flow. Some think flow is the greatest trail on earth. Copper Harbor is remote and rugged, and has different rock than what you'll find in Marquette. It's worth spending a couple days, if you value that experience.

In Marquette, you'll be doing yourself a disservice by riding for mileage, and only doing the main color loops. Ride up the grade and do dogger and eh line. And you won't do the justice with just one blind run. Ride 'Scary'. Try your luck on 'no dab'. Ride Harlow, even if you have to walk half of it. It may be the most unique riding area in the entire state. Don't limit yourself to the same kind of riding you can do down here every day. My opinion.

Agree on much of this.

I thought flow (in CH) was terrible, it seemed like we should have been rallying, but it just never was fun for me. Overflow on the other hand :mrgreen: I want my DH bike next time, that drop on a trail bike was a bit much. :shock:

Also agree about marquette, knowing flamingo and the kinds of trails that he likes to ride, he will enjoy all the area has to offer, whether that is a lumberjack/marji gesick style 100 mile day, or a few hours playing around on the different trails off of Benson's grade. Harlowe is for sure a must do, one of my favorite areas anywhere i've ever ridden.
santaclausersolo

Return to General