A potential huge win in trail access

MMBA trail access, advocacy, and related news (non-IMBA Chapter Topics)

A potential huge win in trail access

Postby Jared13 » July 19th, 2018, 12:52 pm

https://www.bikemag.com/news/riders-reg ... al-forest/

While the access is currently temporary, I hope good things come from the temporary lift on the bike ban.

If the pic of the sheds doesn't work, you can find it on BBC's facebook page. It was posted back on the 9th.
Jared13

Re: A potential huge win in trail access

Postby WICCMB » July 20th, 2018, 7:24 am

That is great news!
WICCMB
Administrator

Postby Jared13 » August 13th, 2018, 6:06 am

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/bitterro ... EPRD591183

Well that sucks.

In the 6 weeks that it was open, MTBers spent 250 hours clearing 500 trees and made 20+ miles of trail accessible to all users. Before this, the trails were impassable due to disuse from the non-biking users.
Jared13

Postby b_b » August 13th, 2018, 9:17 am

Bummer, but this is an interesting case study to learn from in any event. It seems the mtb community does much of the maintenance on shared trails, which is understandable since down trees are more inconvenient for bikes than pedestrians. If you're a pedestrian and are given the choice between shared trails that get maintained by mountain bikers vs dedicated trails that are not maintained perhaps the former is better for you. I suspect this is especially true for more remote trails that see less foot traffic, but maybe not in high traffic areas. I would not advocate for opening up the AT to bikes.
b_b

Postby Jared13 » August 13th, 2018, 10:04 am

b_b wrote:Bummer, but this is an interesting case study to learn from in any event. It seems the mtb community does much of the maintenance on shared trails, which is understandable since down trees are more inconvenient for bikes than pedestrians. If you're a pedestrian and are given the choice between shared trails that get maintained by mountain bikers vs dedicated trails that are not maintained perhaps the former is better for you. I suspect this is especially true for more remote trails that see less foot traffic, but maybe not in high traffic areas. I would not advocate for opening up the AT to bikes.

Agreed completely!

WSAs and Wilderness Areas are usually located in remote areas and almost all are in the western states. There are a few trails out there that should be hiking only and the AT is definitely one of them, IMO.

I think it should be up to the local managers to decide which users are allowed on the trails, not some blanket policy. Especially not some blanket policy that is deliberately designed to remove users before the actual designation hearings.
Jared13

Return to Advocacy