Trails you rode in 2018

Everything related to mountain biking that's not covered in the forums below

Trails you rode in 2018

Postby bleve » January 1st, 2019, 11:03 pm

I'm surprised no one has posted their brag list yet. Mine is shorter than normal due to a variety of factors but it is fun to look back and see the 22 trails I rode (alphabetically). Hopefully I will expand on this next year. I imagine several people have beat this number.

Anderson
Cannonsburg SGA
Cannonsburg Ski
Deerefield
Fort Custer
Hungerford
Ionia
Ithaca Jailhouse Trail
Luton
Maybury
Merrell
Munising Water Tank Trail
NCT (Red Bridge to Suspension Bridge)
NCT M-20 to Mena Creek
Novi (Lakeshore / Tree Farm)
Pines Point
Rose Lake
Silver Creek pathway
Sleepy Hollow
Valley Spur
Wilderness State Park
Yankee Springs
bleve

Re: Trails you rode in 2018

Postby WICCMB » January 2nd, 2019, 9:26 am

bleve wrote:NCT (Red Bridge to Suspension Bridge)

I am very familiar with Red Bridge....the Red Bridge to Marilla section is the best singletrack in lower Michigan. The other way - Red Bridge to Tippy Dam is OK too, although not nearly as good. But I have never heard of "Suspension Bridge" before...where is that?
WICCMB
Administrator

Postby 3SA » January 2nd, 2019, 9:59 am

I got to some new-to-me trails this year and didn't make it to some that I wish I had. I didn't make it to any out-of-state trails this year either. It was fun looking back on my year of riding. :D

Local:
Anderson
WLT
Burchfield
Sleepy Hollow
Eastgate/ Red Cedar/ Legg/ Ted Black
Rose Lake
Bennett Park
Hopkins Lake
Bengal Wildlife Trails

The rest in order of first appearance:
Island Lake
DTE
Glacial Hills
River Bends
Yankee Springs
Fort Custer
Highland
Milford
Brighton Rec
Hammond Hills
Holdridge
NCT- Marilla TH to Dilling
Lake Ann
Lost Lake
Big M (just a little bit before the taco-ed wheel)
Poto
Proud Lake (MTC)
Hickory Glen (MTC)
MMCC
East Jordan
Boyne School Forest
Avalanche
Aspen Park
Hanson Hills
Ludington School Forest
Ithaca
Cannonsburg Ski Hill
Upper Macatawa
Riley
Ken-O-Sha
Underground
Alma
NTN South
NTN North
Valley Spur
Days River
CSGA (Trifecta)
Merrell (Trifecta)
Luton (Trifecta)
Waterloo (TTC)
Stoney Creek (MF)
Bald Mountain North (MF)
Addison Oaks (MF)
Iceman course
VASA
Betsie River
RAMBA Trails - Ishpeming

Looking forward to 2019!!
3SA

Postby DynoDon » January 2nd, 2019, 3:53 pm

WICCMB wrote:

I am very familiar with Red Bridge....the Red Bridge to Marilla section is the best singletrack in lower Michigan. The other way - Red Bridge to Tippy Dam is OK too, although not nearly as good. But I have never heard of "Suspension Bridge" before...where is that?

Suspension Bridge is next to Hodenpyl Dam, its a foot bridge connecting to the other side of the Manistee River. It connects to NCT on the west side. There is parking there too.
Last edited by DynoDon on January 3rd, 2019, 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
4 wheels transport the body, 2 wheels transport the soul !!!
DynoDon

Postby Jared13 » January 2nd, 2019, 11:12 pm

While I love seeing the lists of trails people rode at the end of the year, this is my last full year in Michigan so there's a bit of sadness for me to this thread as well.
Since early 2016, I've ridden 75 trails in Michigan plus 3 BMX parks, an amazing dirt jump area, and a BMX track. All in all, it's been a good almost 3 years. Anyway, enough stumbling down memory lane, onto the 2018 list.

30 in state, 12 new to me:
Merrill
Rose Lake
Anderson
Michigan Wildlife Conservancy
Yankee
Burchfield
Eastgate
West Lansing Trails
Big M
North Country Trail
Potawatomi
Highland State Rec
Novi/Tree Farm/Lakeshore
DTE
Brighton
NTN South
RAMBA Trails
NTN North
Pine Haven Rec Area
Rifle River Rec Area
Ogemaw Hills
Mid-Michigan Community College
Midland City Forest
Waterloo (TTC)
Bennett Park
Fort Custer
Sleepy Hollow
Hopkins Lake
Rifle River Rec Area
Ogemaw Hills

27 out of state, all but the first two new to me:
Ray's MTB, OH
Oak Mountain, AL
Swayback Bridge Trail, AL
Chewacla State Park, AL
Coldwater Mountain, AL
Mulberry Gap Trails, GA
Mountaintown, GA
Bear Creek South, GA
Pinhoti 1, GA
Pinhoti 2, GA
Bear Creek, GA
Bear Creek Spur, GA
Windy Gap, GA
Milma Creek, GA
Sylaward, AL
Tannehill Historic State Park, AL
Alafia State Park, FL
Santos, FL
Land Locked Forest, MA
Rockland Perserve, CT
Bradbury Mountain State Park, ME
Kingdom Trails, VT
Diamond Hill State Park, RI
Highland Mountain Bike Park, NH
Moraine State Park, PA
McCarthy Hill State Park, NY
The Factory Indoor BMX Park, MN

Here's to an early spring or simply a frozen dirt winter so I can get some more non-fat bike rides in before May!
Jared13

Postby bleve » January 3rd, 2019, 12:35 am

Basically what he said. Ride the NCT to Upper River Road and then over to the suspension bridge (aka the Little Mac). Retrieve the kayaks that you hid in the woods and leave the bike hidden in the woods. Float back to the car. Great way to spend a day.

DynoDon wrote:
WICCMB wrote:

Suspension Bridge is next to Hodenpyl Dam, its a foot bridge connecting to the other side of the Manistee River. It connects to NCT on the west side. There is paring there too.
bleve

Postby kbankes » January 3rd, 2019, 8:59 am

I like this annual brag fest because it gives me ideas for trails to add to the bucket list. I would greatly appreciate folks identifying “best kept secret” trails within 4 hours of SE MI. My best kept secret in 2018 was Holly Holdridge....Lots of miles and Gruber’s sufferfest rep is undeserved.

2018:
Moab
Fruita
DuPont (Hurricane killed Pisgah plan)
Brown county
Mohican
Poto
Brighton
DTE
Highland
PLRA
ILRA
Holly Holdridge
Glacial Hills
Vasa
Hartland
Stoney Creek
Milford
kbankes

Postby WICCMB » January 3rd, 2019, 11:08 am

bleve wrote:Basically what he said. Ride the NCT to Upper River Road and then over to the suspension bridge (aka the Little Mac). Retrieve the kayaks that you hid in the woods and leave the bike hidden in the woods. Float back to the car. Great way to spend a day.

DynoDon wrote:
WICCMB wrote:

Suspension Bridge is next to Hodenpyl Dam, its a foot bridge connecting to the other side of the Manistee River. It connects to NCT on the west side. There is paring there too.

That does sound pretty fun! I took the route down to the dam once just to see where it went, then climbed back to the trailhead on the paved road. Unless I was kayaking (not likely), I can't say I would ever park there at the dam....you miss the climb/descent to/from the Marilla trailhead.
WICCMB
Administrator

Postby WICCMB » January 3rd, 2019, 11:13 am

3SA wrote:I got to some new-to-me trails this year and didn't make it to some that I wish I had. I didn't make it to any out-of-state trails this year either. It was fun looking back on my year of riding. :D

Local:
Anderson
WLT
Burchfield
Sleepy Hollow
Eastgate/ Red Cedar/ Legg/ Ted Black
Rose Lake
Bennett Park
Hopkins Lake
Bengal Wildlife Trails

The rest in order of first appearance:
Island Lake
DTE
Glacial Hills
River Bends
Yankee Springs
Fort Custer
Highland
Milford
Brighton Rec
Hammond Hills
Holdridge
NCT- Marilla TH to Dilling
Lake Ann
Lost Lake
Big M (just a little bit before the taco-ed wheel)
Poto
Proud Lake (MTC)
Hickory Glen (MTC)
MMCC
East Jordan
Boyne School Forest
Avalanche
Aspen Park
Hanson Hills
Ludington School Forest
Ithaca
Cannonsburg Ski Hill
Upper Macatawa
Riley
Ken-O-Sha
Underground
Alma
NTN South
NTN North
Valley Spur
Days River
CSGA (Trifecta)
Merrell (Trifecta)
Luton (Trifecta)
Waterloo (TTC)
Stoney Creek (MF)
Bald Mountain North (MF)
Addison Oaks (MF)
Iceman course
VASA
Betsie River
RAMBA Trails - Ishpeming

Looking forward to 2019!!

That's an impressive list of Michigan trails! You should make your 2019 goal some out of state stuff!
WICCMB
Administrator

Postby TimTucker » January 3rd, 2019, 11:52 am

Most of my riding this year was with my 3 year old -- admittedly it's a pretty small list compared to some here, but still pretty big compared to most kids his age. Quite a few of the paved trails we rode along with my wife & our 1.5 year old (pulled behind me in a trailer).

Here's our list (in rough order of where we rode most often):
Licht Park (paved trails) -- only a 1/3 mile loop, but right across the street from our house here in Warren
Our backyard (grass w/ wood features) -- 1/10 mile loop with a slowly growing number of home-built features. Second on the list because it was late summer before I started on it. Have a small pile of treated decking waiting for when I get the time to work on more.
Sterling Heights Skatepark (admittedly a little bit of a stretch to call it a "trail")
Riverbends (paved trails / MTB trails / skatepark)
Stony Creek (MTB trails / Trolley trail / pump track)
Dodge park (paved trails)
Bald Mountain (MTB trails) -- best beginner trails that we tried, likely would have ridden there more if it was a little closer
Nelson Park (paved trails) -- another smaller neighborhood park, just a little over 1 mile loop
Kensington (paved trails) -- he made it almost halfway around the trail. Just thankful that he got through the biggest hill in the park before I had to add the weight of him & his bike to the trailer. (This is why I'm now running a 24T chainring on the bike I tow with)
Island Lake (paved trails)
Maybury (paved trails plus a little bit of the MTB trails)

His favorites were the pump track & the skatepark, both of which he rode his balance bike for. Most of the paved trails were ridden on his 14" pedal bike.

Hoping that the trails will be a little more fun moving from a 14" to a 16" bike. The 16" is currently rigid, just waiting on parts for a new disc front wheel to put on an air fork.
TimTucker

Postby b_b » January 4th, 2019, 1:07 pm

TimTucker wrote:Most of my riding this year was with my 3 year old --
His favorites were the pump track & the skatepark...

Wow that's great for 3! Hit up Novi Lakeshore has cool pump track and skills area and is beginner friendly but still interesting.
b_b

Postby mitechie » January 25th, 2019, 11:13 am

Late to the party but a fun exercise to go through and look back at the year. Trips to bentonville AR, brevard NC, and Oakridge OR provided a lot of fun.

I used trailforks to dump trail systems so there's a ton of different trails but these main areas with obviously lots of repeats throughout the year.

The Alpine trail takes the top of the list for most epic ride ever so far.

Alpine Trails - OR
Back 40 - AR
Big M - MI
Blowing Springs - AR
Brevard - NC
Dupont State Forest - NC
Fenton - MI
Glacial Hills Pathway - MI
Hardesty Portal - OR
Hillandale Park - AR
Holly-Holdridge Mountain Bike Trail - MI
Island Lake Recreation Area - MI
Lakeshore Park - MI
Larison Trails - OR
Milford Trail - MI
Mills River - NC
Pontiac Lake Recreation Area - MI
Preddy Creek Park - VA
Slaughter Pen Trails - AR

What's fun is that this year I've got Harrisville VA in the books on New Years day and just got back from riding down around Cape Town South Africa with plans to go back to NC this year. Should be a bigger year this year, can't wait.
---
Ibis Mojo 3
Santa Cruz Chameleon
https://www.instagram.com/mitechie.mtb
mitechie

Postby flamingo » January 26th, 2019, 1:51 am

Also late to the party. 2018 I did not too much variety of local trails but for me it was a year of few quite few "first timers".

First ever trip to North Carolina. Did Pisgah, and Dupont. Our trip was at the end of July and I would not go there again in that time of the year. Humid like *beep* and torrential rains every day. Camping in a tent did not make it much more fun either.

First ever biking and camping trip. A 60 miler from Oxford to Sleepy Hollow state park. The biggest downside of that was limited beer carrying capacity of a bicycle. :mrgreen:

First time ever Naguamee trail network.

First time ever Midland City forest. Even thou it is flat I liked it a lot.

First time ever Milford - liked it.

First time ever North Country trail.

First time ever Hole in the Ground loop in California.

First time ever did two consecutive laps of Highland. = FWD and REV

Last but not least first time ever on a Fatbike. Got sucked in into the Fatbike thing and I like it. My fatbike will not replace my regular mtb but it is definitively a good addition. It is just a different kind of riding and a different mindset. For trail riding I call it the lazy bike. It is just so easy to handle and because it is not fast I use it for "easy rides". It is also the first bike ever that my wife encourage me to buy a bicycle. She said it would look so cool hanging in the garage :roll:

2018 was also a year of quite variety for me when it comes for distant trail networks. As mentioned I did Pisgah, I also went to Copper Harbor and Marquette and as a bonus I ended up going for business to Folsome CA. From there I went to Lake Tahoe and rode in that area. (some of the trails for second time).

2018 was also a year when I rode the most miles and did my longest ride.

As for the local trails I rode mostly Addison Oaks, Bald Mountains, LOHS and Highland. I did Bloomer, Holdridge, Island Lake, Brighton and Milford few times only.

I rode Pontiac only once. That trail somehow has gradually fallen out of favor - 2012 I rode it 50 times.

Somehow I did not make it to Poto. Up to 2018 I had been riding it at least twice a year. Also I have not made it yet to DTE.

To end on a funny note. As I am lucky to be able to commute on my bike to work. I forgot to wear my helmet twice. AND how many of you have heard of people forgetting their pants to work? Well, one notable morning in october I forgot to throw them in my back pack and did not have spare ones at work. I ended up walking all day around the office in my spandex shorts and leg warmers :shock:

Plans for 2019? Undifined except ride as much as possible. So far looks promising. Thanks to the fatbike I have been able to commute to work in January and ride snowed in trails. So I am apporoaching 300 miles this year already.
Let's make 26ers great again!
flamingo

Postby jthomp » January 26th, 2019, 5:58 am

Island Lake (mostly reverse at night)
Brighton Rec
Holdridge
Maybury
Milford
Proud Lake
Poto
Highland
Custer
Tree Farm
Settler’s Park
Boyne Highlands (very fun single track)
Iceman and MSB race courses
Santos (everything west of the Vortex)
Last edited by jthomp on January 28th, 2019, 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life BYGG is all there is.
jthomp

Postby Jared13 » January 28th, 2019, 6:26 pm

Congrats on the all the firsts, flamingo!
Jared13

Return to General