Vintage Torn Shirt

Everything related to mountain biking that's not covered in the forums below

Vintage Torn Shirt

Postby DynoDon » January 19th, 2019, 7:10 am

From 2012 on a rigid single speed, great to see the old trail, on a single speed it must have been too hard to make the gravel climbs, those are missing, but a lot of it is recognizable, I raced it in 2011 in a time trail with Tailwinds, it was only 6 miles long, now 8 miles, what a great trail then and now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER79KzokYN4
When was the first bicycle race?
When the second one was built !!!
DynoDon

Re: Vintage Torn Shirt

Postby Roy » January 19th, 2019, 11:53 am

Don,

I was riding TS at a time when that gravel climb had gotten almost unridable - a long time ago.
There were 3 teenagers in shorts and tank tops ridding Huffys , they almost made up that gravel hill.
I wondered what am I doing with all this $$$ bike C r a p , spandex, Camel pack, clip ons, bike computer, and Helmet?
But then, I remembered prior crashes, and how all that C r a p minimized injury and got me back to the parking lot.

That is a great movie, thanks for posting it.

Roy
Roy

Postby Shomegrown » January 22nd, 2019, 2:17 pm

Ha! That's my buddy Chris. Check out the rest of his channel if you're into cars.
Shomegrown

Postby Storz » February 11th, 2019, 12:53 pm

Long live the 90s version of Torn Shirt :)
Ellsworth Evolve SST.2
Storz

Postby crustaceous_flora » February 13th, 2019, 4:17 pm

Sounds so fun!! I wish we still had fall line, rutted out downhills instead of this -5-7% grade stuff that's getting popular. Inb4 "sustainability".... those rutted root drop trenches at Poto are some of the funnest sections around!
crustaceous_flora

Postby DynoDon » February 18th, 2019, 8:23 am

crustaceous_flora wrote:Sounds so fun!! I wish we still had fall line, rutted out downhills instead of this -5-7% grade stuff that's getting popular. Inb4 "sustainability".... those rutted root drop trenches at Poto are some of the funnest sections around!

I raced Torn Shirt back then with Tailwinds, those climbs were tough, but great,,, to maintain the black diamond Torn Shirt does need more features, I do like the newer sections, but wouldn't mind more challenges. Still one great trail.
DynoDon

Postby crustaceous_flora » March 16th, 2019, 11:12 pm

Who is the trail coordinator? Torn Shirt and Brighton Rec in general could definitely use some nice features to spice it up. A table top here or there, b-line rock launches like at DTE, etc, would all add some serious fun!
crustaceous_flora

Postby DynoDon » March 17th, 2019, 4:47 am

I agree I'd like some real Black Diamond Features on Torn Shirt, its gotten a lot easier every year, with reroutes, bandits cutting trees, cutting corners, its still a great trail, but its not a Black Diamond as its designation states. Its great that both trails are basically still single tracks, (so many trails have been widened by bandits) so they are getting some respect, but yes upgrading the trails is always better then downgrading them, there are not many Black Diamonds in lower Michigan. I"m not the TC, maybe you want the job, I live too far away, I do get out there 2 or 3 times a week, and do some pickup/trimming, I'll help with building some features for sure.
DynoDon

Postby stavensmith » April 23rd, 2019, 6:27 am

DynoDon wrote:From 2012 on a rigid single speed, great to see the old trail, on a single speed it must have been too hard to make the gravel climbs, those are missing, but a lot of it is recognizable, I raced it in 2011 in a time trail with Tailwinds, it was only 6 miles long, now 8 miles, what a great trail then and now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER79KzokYN4

Nice..i like it

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
voucher codes
stavensmith

Return to General