New Bike - 27.5 or 29er?

Everything related to mountain biking that's not covered in the forums below

New Bike - 27.5 or 29er?

Postby colehatch » January 25th, 2019, 11:23 am

Used to ride a 29er a few years ago and bought a fat bike because I wanted to get out more in the winter. I've used it so much I sold the 29 (was a cheaper bike anyway) and have been riding the fat bike year around. Still really enjoy riding the fat bike but I'm considering getting a 2nd bike and am trying to determine what makes sense. I love the grippy traction and the ride that "bigger" tires offer but is a plus bike\27.5 with 3' tires too close to a fat bike? I'm leaning towards a 29 if I plan on having 2 bikes to split the difference on various terrain. Most of my riding is in West Michigan between Traverse City and Kzoo but I'm planning on getting out west this year and also up to Copper Harbor. I understand there's a lot of factors but wondering who's been in this dilemma and what did you do? :?
colehatch

Re: New Bike - 27.5 or 29er?

Postby flamingo » January 25th, 2019, 12:37 pm

Wheel size debate. We haven't had one for a while :D. You could get 27 plus wheelset for your fat bike and ride it in the summer time. 27+ wheels are closer to regular wheels than fat wheels. As for the original question. For trail riding I am in the minority camp and prefer 27.5.
Let's make 26ers great again!
flamingo

Postby colehatch » January 25th, 2019, 12:58 pm

flamingo wrote:Wheel size debate. We haven't had one for a while :D. You could get 27 plus wheelset for your fat bike and ride it in the summer time. 27+ wheels are closer to regular wheels than fat wheels. As for the original question. For trail riding I am in the minority camp and prefer 27.5.

I a feeling this was probably a commonly asked question. I won't lie, I didn't scrape the forum for this info...but will. I talked with the LBS about doing another wheelset but I think I'm ready for another bike. Something that rides and handles a little different to mix it up. Also don't want to mess around with swapping wheels. Will be nice to have 2 bikes also in the event something breaks and is in for repairs. Just trying to determine what makes the most sense. As much as I think I'd like the 27.5 the 29 seems like the bigger gap to cover more stuff.
colehatch

Postby amadkins » January 25th, 2019, 1:02 pm

Why not 29+?

I was running 29 on a Santa Cruz Tallboy for years until I tried a Trek Stache. The Tallboy was subsequently sold.

I’m down to two bikes. The Stache and a Farley.
amadkins

Postby colehatch » January 25th, 2019, 1:09 pm

amadkins wrote:Why not 29+?

I was running 29 on a Santa Cruz Tallboy for years until I tried a Trek Stache. The Tallboy was subsequently sold.

I’m down to two bikes. The Stache and a Farley.

Certainly not ruling it out...just don't know much about them. I'll research it some and check it out. Funny you should mentioned Santa Cruz. I don't want to spend a ton of money (relative) and am looking at the Santa Cruz Chameleon. Everything I've read about this bike people really are positive. The plan is to get on some bikes in the next month or so and see what feels "right". So many options now it's crazy.
colehatch

Postby c0nsumer » January 25th, 2019, 1:22 pm

I keep having an itch to build up a Chameleon. Build would likely be a Pike RCT3 or Fox 34, GX drivetrain, XT brakes, DT 350 hubs, and Light Bicycle (or so) carbon rims. I would probably do 27.5+ because I like big knobby tires and it'd be my trail bike, therefore... But, what I don't need is another trail bike. (I have a Camber and like it a lot.)

The Trek Stache is seriously compelling, though. Very similar bikes spec-wise, and when I had a 29+ before I loved it.

Also check out the Salsa Timberjack or Woodsmoke.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby colehatch » January 25th, 2019, 1:36 pm

c0nsumer wrote:I would probably do 27.5+ because I like big knobby tires

Ha...exactly what I keep saying in my head...hence the delimma. :D
colehatch

Postby c0nsumer » January 25th, 2019, 1:44 pm

colehatch wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:I would probably do 27.5+ because I like big knobby tires

Ha...exactly what I keep saying in my head...hence the delimma. :D

Do it. You can always build a set of 29er wheels if you REALLY don't like them. Good wheelsets in good condition with modern spacing sell easily.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby Roy » January 26th, 2019, 8:29 am

Another consideration:
If you get you the point of deciding between 2 equal bikes,
Bike #1 29" wheels
Bike #2 27.5 " wheels

Compare the wheelbases and fork angles.
I think the steeper the fork angle and the shorter wheelbase will handle better on twisty trails.
Use your old bike to use as a reference point.
You should also consider your skill level and match it to the bike you chose.

Anyway, as all will probably agree, the next bike will probably not be you last. Don't over think it , buy what you like!

Roy
Roy

Postby DynoDon » January 26th, 2019, 8:50 am

There are so many things to consider, height, weight, what level, and type of riding you want to do, or will end up doing, it would be nice to just buy a few bikes, but then you'll end up riding one bike the most, thats the bike you need the most, Testing as many bikes as you can on a trail you're familiar with is probably the best way to narrow it down to the one you want. Everyone can make a suggestion, but thats what suits them, not you.
Island Lake Demo Days has the biggest selection of bikes to test ride in Michigan, if you're not familiar with the trail there, go ride it before Demo day on a bike, or two you know well, then do the Demo Day with an open mind, try as many as you can, good luck.,
4 wheels transport the body, 2 wheels transport the soul !!!
DynoDon

Postby bikeguy4life » January 28th, 2019, 12:02 pm

I agree with what DynoDon is saying in that height, weight, level, and type of riding you want/plan on doing should be a factor in your decision. That said, if you are a racer or hope to race, 29er is the way to go. If fun and trail riding is your goal (sounds like it is), a 27.5 wheelset w/ good 2.35-2.4 tires is a lot of fun, or, IMO a 27.5+ setup is tough to beat. I ride a 2017 Giant XTC that came stock w/ a 35mm wide 27.5+ wheelset w/ Schwalbe Rocket Ron 3.0F/2.8R tires. I do race and throughout race season, I run a 29er wheelset that is on the bike 95% of the time. I've been riding the plus wheelset that came with my XTC during the shoulder seasons and if you are not a racer, I can recommend this route, it works well and is a ton of fun. A wheelset w/ 3" tire is definitely not a fatbike setup by any means, but you will have zero issues riding sand and snow as long as it's packed and less than 3-4" loose. Plus tires definitely deliver in the traction department and on single track, they let you get pretty rowdy while not giving up all that much in outright speed compared to a 29er. If you liked how your 29er rode, but want that little extra traction, I think you will like 27.5+. 3.0 front seems pretty good to me, but I have a pretty fast buddy that rides the same XTC frame as me but with Rocket Ron 2.8 front/rear that he likes a lot - either size, the Rocket Ron is a pretty sick tire for MI trails. For what it's worth, I live in TC and primarily ride TC single track, but when I get out of dodge, west MI trails between here and GRM/Holland is what I ride.
2017 Giant XTC 2 29/27.5+
2009 Vassago Jabberwocky SS
2013 Giant TCR SL4
bikeguy4life

Postby colehatch » January 31st, 2019, 11:00 am

Thanks for the input DynoDon and bikeguy4life. Made some valid points that will help in the decision process. The true test will come when I start hopping on some bikes and getting an idea of fit and fun. I have no desire to race. I ride purely for fun and health which is one of the reasons I ended up on a fat bike. That and not wanting to be on a trainer in the winter. That "fun" has lead me to riding a lot more and wanting to diversify trails. Living in Rockford I'm a regular at Luton, Merrell and the Cannonsburgs. Last year I started riding Big M and sections of the NCT. Although the fat bike was still a blast on those trails I want something that's a little more aggressive. Hoping to get to the UP this summer also and it seems like a non fat bike would be a better choice for some of these trails.

bikeguy4life wrote: A wheelset w/ 3" tire is definitely not a fatbike setup by any means, but you will have zero issues riding sand and snow as long as it's packed and less than 3-4" loose. Plus tires definitely deliver in the traction department and on single track, they let you get pretty rowdy while not giving up all that much in outright speed compared to a 29er. If you liked how your 29er rode, but want that little extra traction, I think you will like 27.5+. 3.0 front seems pretty good to me

This helps. I'm sure people have different opinions but my concern with going to a 3" tire is, it'd be too similar to a fat bike. Sounds like maybe not. I want a quicker, snappier bike but don't want to lose the fun of a fat bike...not that a 29 would. I need to get one some bikes soon.
colehatch

Postby scat silvurz » February 12th, 2019, 12:31 am

I don't think you'll notice a difference. Regardless of wheel size - good bearings, light rims/spokes, and good tires will make any talk of wheel size irrelevant.....
Five fingers, three chords, and one *beep*.....!
scat silvurz

Return to General