Barry Meltdown

Everything related to mountain biking that's not covered in the forums below

Barry Meltdown

Postby MTB_huh » April 16th, 2019, 2:13 pm

I happened to notice someone having a bit of a tantrum on Sager Rd during Barry this weekend. I first heard swearing prior to coming over the top of a hill. Then after coming over the top of the hill, I witnessed a dude throwing his bike into the woods...pretty funny stuff. I'd say you threw your bike a good 12-15 feet.

Sorry if this person was you, it seems like you were having a hard day. Hope you worked things out. Also wondering if you just left your bike in the woods and walked out.

Did anyone else witness this first hand?
Last edited by MTB_huh on April 18th, 2019, 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim
MTB_huh

Re: Barry Meltdown

Postby ineedanap » April 16th, 2019, 11:50 pm

It's kind of awesome.

I mean, I know I've been mad enough after a crash or mechanical that I've WANTED to throw the bike. It's kind of cool to hear someone actually did it. :)
ineedanap

Postby Hudnut » April 17th, 2019, 8:21 am

Don't worry. It's all downhill from here.
Hudnut

Postby flamingo » April 17th, 2019, 9:00 am

Funny. I was there but must have missed it.
Let's make 26ers great again!
flamingo

Postby bbender785 » April 17th, 2019, 9:19 am

it's certainly interesting through there, especially if you're not one of the earlier waves through. i was able to get through cleanly by staying on the very edge of the right side last year... this year, not so much. considerably more congestion.

i hope said person at least stuck around for a beer after? :lol:
bbender785

Postby c0nsumer » April 17th, 2019, 9:25 am

I really enjoyed that part of Sager during the 100 Mile (7 hour pace). There was me, and the guy behind me, who I was chatting with. It was a nice ride on some empty two track. Even got to ride over the big rock near the end!
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby MTB_huh » April 17th, 2019, 10:20 am

I think the anger levels were on par with the guy in the video smashing his road bike, yes. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little scared to ride by as this was happening.

I believe you would've needed to be traveling through Sager sometime near approximately 11:15am to have witnessed this gem. It was certainly difficult to ride Sager all the way through without dismounting due to traffic. I usually ride this section no problem on 35mm, but the congestion was just too much at this time. I don't think this meltdown was traffic related though. I'm guessing it was some sort of mechanical failure.

I would've bought this guy multiple beers after if I knew who he was. So funny. It did make me grateful to have a clean race, as I too have experienced mechanical failures on Sager in the past.
Jim
MTB_huh

Postby b_b » April 18th, 2019, 12:32 pm

Expensive tantrum! Is this covered by crash replacement warranty?
b_b

Postby DynoDon » April 19th, 2019, 9:35 am

Years ago I remember seeing a Big Box store bike way up in the trees about a mile in at Maybury,, maybe it was the same guy at Barry, he just got older, same skillz..
We don't die from playing with bikes,
We die when we stop playing with bikes...
DynoDon

Postby washedout » April 19th, 2019, 4:58 pm

I’m guessing the guy is also an avid golfer, or used to be? I can’t remember how many times I’d seen somebody chuck their equipment into the water or woods. [emoji38]
washedout

Return to General