Orion Oaks Parking

For discussing Clinton River Area Mountain Bike Association (formerly Metro North and Holly/Flint chapters) topics.

Orion Oaks Parking

Postby Synack42 » May 9th, 2019, 9:38 am

Dumb question... Does Orion Oaks (or really any Oakland County park) require a parking permit? I take it there is no "day pass" considering the parking areas are small and unattended.

Think it'd be safe to park at the school on Josyln if I wanted to just check it out one day? I guess I'm questioning how much use I'd get out of a non-resident Oakland park pass. (I'm a complete noob here, still looking for places to ride.)

I saw the Metropark site offers a combo pass that includes Oakland parks for $60. Probably the best option?
Synack42

Re: Orion Oaks Parking

Postby RMXByker » May 9th, 2019, 9:51 am

Best option is the combo pass. As for parking, I wouldn't park in any Oakland parking area without the permit. They are often checked by the Sheriffs and they absolutely are not shy about handing out tickets.
http://www.BoughnerRacing.com

Stable
2015 Specialized S-Works Epic World Cup
RMXByker

Postby c0nsumer » May 9th, 2019, 9:58 am

Yes, they require passes. And the tickets aren't cheap. I personally buy the combo passes, as I live in Macomb County and the price of a combo pass is close to that of an Oakland County parks pass. I say just get one, as it's not just useful for parking, but the money goes to support the parks. Addison Oaks' MTB trail is taken care of by a paid employee, and they survey the number of cars parking at the trailhead. So, do that sometimes. :)

(Since you're new to the area, check out Addison Oaks once it dries. Orion Oaks isn't particularly great riding -- it's mostly two track albeit kinda scenic -- more like a place you cut through for a diversion when riding by. But Addison... That's a local destination trail.)
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby Synack42 » May 9th, 2019, 11:38 am

Thanks guys, I think the combo pass is what I'm going to do.

*Kicking myself for not getting the DNR pass when I renewed my plates, looks like I could have parked at Bald Mountain and just biked down the road to check out Addison...

As for Orion, I've been pretty much sticking to doubletrack since I'm just starting out. Only singletrack I've tried so far has been River Bends, at least before all of the rain lately.
Synack42

Postby c0nsumer » May 9th, 2019, 12:24 pm

If you can ride River Bends, you can ride Addison. It'll just be hillier with potentially faster sections. Keep your speed in check and you'll have a blast. :)

And yeah... For a Macomb county resident, the passes are $48 (Oakland County Parks) and $35 (Metroparks), respectively. The joint pass is $59.

If you're new to the state, check out the Recreation Passport as well on your license plate. $11 on your plate renewal gets you into all state parks and rec areas.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Return to CRAMBA