Rode DTE today

Everything related to mountain biking that's not covered in the forums below

Rode DTE today

Postby DynoDon » May 16th, 2019, 5:16 pm

I seen the ambulance out there, a two wheel drive Rokon motor scooter with a trailer, nice set up, not a good thing to see, but we may see it more if people don't learn to ride in the direction of the day.
What is it with these people that ride the trail in the wrong direction, there were plenty of them out there today, I told them, and they really did't care, one guy turned arount, THANK YOU, all you have to do is read the sign, but it says counter clockwise, and clockwise, these IDIOTS have digital watches, grew up with digital clocks, they haven't got the common sense to figure it out, ask them when quarter to three is, and thay will tell you 25 minutes to three, these people are IDIOTS, I don't know if there is a way to communicate to them so they will understand. This two way trail set up is not working out so well, is it going to take a few bad accidents to fix it ? There are some places in the trail a wrong way IDIOT could cauxe a life changing accident, I don't want to see me, you, or even the IDIOT in a wheelchair, or dead, because an IDIOT has no consideration, or common sense.
Last edited by DynoDon on May 23rd, 2019, 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When was the first bicycle race?
When the second one was built !!!
DynoDon
 
Posts: 690
Joined: October 16th, 2010, 5:10 pm
Location: Garden City

Re: Rode DTE today

Postby Hudnut » May 16th, 2019, 5:35 pm

It would be nice if this new law allowing DNR to issue tickets for misuse of the trail to also be used to fine wrong way riders

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Don't worry. It's all downhill from here.
User avatar
Hudnut
 
Posts: 609
Joined: April 9th, 2005, 7:32 pm
Location: Commerce twp

Re: Rode DTE today

Postby crustaceous_flora » May 16th, 2019, 6:39 pm

Someone was riding the wrong direction? kek, n00b
crustaceous_flora
 
Posts: 67
Joined: December 27th, 2017, 9:45 pm

Re: Rode DTE today

Postby Roy » May 17th, 2019, 7:57 am

If you are ridding a 2 way trail, slow down.
Only a nut would think people are not going to ride in the wrong direction.
I do not think you want police enforcement on a Mountain Bike trail.
Sometimes you get more then you wish for - and with government you always get way more.

"STOP POLICE, your bike license and proof of ownership. I stopped you because you have an illegal water bottle and no spoke reflectors. "
" this is ticket for under inflated tires, You can pay me $100 here, or I can escort you to jail".
Don't think for a minute this could not happen once the gum drop boys hit the trails.

Hey!
I got stopped, on a rail trail, by two clowns in a car and made pay cash for ridding that trail.


Roy
User avatar
Roy
 
Posts: 1400
Joined: August 14th, 2002, 9:04 pm

Re: Rode DTE today

Postby DynoDon » May 17th, 2019, 8:35 am

Roy wrote:If you are ridding a 2 way trail, slow down.
Only a nut would think people are not going to ride in the wrong direction.
I do not think you want police enforcement on a Mountain Bike trail.
Sometimes you get more then you wish for - and with government you always get way more.

"STOP POLICE, your bike license and proof of ownership. I stopped you because you have an illegal water bottle and no spoke reflectors. "
" this is ticket for under inflated tires, You can pay me $100 here, or I can escort you to jail".
Don't think for a minute this could not happen once the gum drop boys hit the trails.

Hey!
I got stopped, on a rail trail, by two clowns in a car and made pay cash for ridding that trail.


Roy


Maybe we should have just kept Michigan a one direction state, keeping it more IDIOT proof.. much better then injuring people out for a ride.
When was the first bicycle race?
When the second one was built !!!
DynoDon
 
Posts: 690
Joined: October 16th, 2010, 5:10 pm
Location: Garden City

Re: Rode DTE today

Postby c0nsumer » May 17th, 2019, 8:37 am

DynoDon wrote:Maybe we should have just kept Michigan a one direction state, keeping it more IDIOT proof.. much better then injuring people out for a ride.


Overall trails in Michigan are NOT one-way. That's only really a Southeast/Southwest stuff around population centers. I'd say that ~half the trail mileage in Michigan is two-way all the time, likely more. And two-way trails are the norm for the rest of the country.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
User avatar
c0nsumer
 
Posts: 7537
Joined: May 18th, 2008, 11:35 am
Location: Shelby Township, MI

Re: Rode DTE today

Postby DynoDon » May 17th, 2019, 8:57 am

c0nsumer wrote:
DynoDon wrote:Maybe we should have just kept Michigan a one direction state, keeping it more IDIOT proof.. much better then injuring people out for a ride.


Overall trails in Michigan are NOT one-way. That's only really a Southeast/Southwest stuff around population centers. I'd say that ~half the trail mileage in Michigan is two-way all the time, likely more. And two-way trails are the norm for the rest of the country.


Most of the country have better sight lines than Michigan, our trails are mostly overgrown in many areas on every trail system, even DTE will be overgrown in time, this two way trail system is new here, it has been a one direction state for many years, isn't this a IMBA thing? Are traails do heal well, or can be rerouted, sustainability is not a good reason to have people in danger of major injury.
When was the first bicycle race?
When the second one was built !!!
DynoDon
 
Posts: 690
Joined: October 16th, 2010, 5:10 pm
Location: Garden City

Re: Rode DTE today

Postby c0nsumer » May 17th, 2019, 9:00 am

DynoDon wrote:Most of the country have better sight lines than Michigan, our trails are mostly overgrown in many areas on every trail system, even DTE will be overgrown in time, this two way trail system is new here, it has been a one direction state for many years, isn't this a IMBA thing? Are traails do heal well, or can be rerouted, sustainability is not a good reason to have people in danger of major injury.


Nothing to do with IMBA at all. And DTE is not a two way trail, it's an alternating direction trail.

Michigan's single track trails have NEVER been a "one direction state", that's solely a SE/SW thing. Two-way (or really, any-way) trails are just how things are by default. I'm sure I'm missing some, but I can't think of a non-downhill one-way trail north of maybe Saginaw?

Riders going opposite the official direction is a problem, but it's a minimal one, and best solved by the community reminding those folks they are going the wrong way. This sort of pressure works.

And, we all should be keeping an eye out for riders going the wrong way on any trail, just as we do for runners, hikers, downed trees, etc.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
User avatar
c0nsumer
 
Posts: 7537
Joined: May 18th, 2008, 11:35 am
Location: Shelby Township, MI

Re: Rode DTE today

Postby acedeuce802 » May 17th, 2019, 9:03 am

I'm surprised you've seen that many riding the wrong way. In the ~50 times I've ridden the trail, I've seen 2 getting ready to ride the wrong direction, and both immediately turned around when I told them "wrong way". There have been several that ask at the trail-head.
acedeuce802
 
Posts: 12
Joined: May 9th, 2017, 2:04 pm
Location: Farmington Hills

Re: Rode DTE today

Postby branden » May 17th, 2019, 9:22 am

There are people who supposedly do read the signs and still end up going the wrong direction because they have no idea what day it is. Not long ago I encountered one of these morons... I and at least a couple others told him he was going the wrong way and he yelled "read the *beep* sign" back at each of us and continued going the wrong way. He was absolutely certain that everyone else was wrong but him. The signage on DTE is great but it's still no match for some of the stupid and arrogant creatures who live among us.
branden
 
Posts: 28
Joined: October 24th, 2016, 10:09 pm
Location: Poto

Re: Rode DTE today

Postby TimTucker » May 17th, 2019, 9:58 am

Wonder how well it'd work to have some electronic indicators (or at least one at the trailhead) that always show the current direction of travel to prevent the need for "thinking" to figure out which day it is.

Thinking:
- e-ink display to show direction of travel
- Weatherproof enclosure
- Raspberry Pi for control
- Keep time in sync via GPS
- Power via solar

Might be an interesting community service project for a high school student.
TimTucker
 
Posts: 66
Joined: September 29th, 2011, 10:36 am
Location: Warren

Re: Rode DTE today

Postby c0nsumer » May 17th, 2019, 10:03 am

TimTucker wrote:Wonder how well it'd work to have some electronic indicators (or at least one at the trailhead) that always show the current direction of travel to prevent the need for "thinking" to figure out which day it is.

Thinking:
- e-ink display to show direction of travel
- Weatherproof enclosure
- Raspberry Pi for control
- Keep time in sync via GPS
- Power via solar

Might be an interesting community service project for a high school student.


Looks like a nice way to get a free RPi for a project.

See also: https://thedailywtf.com/articles/Classi ... ors-Gloves
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
User avatar
c0nsumer
 
Posts: 7537
Joined: May 18th, 2008, 11:35 am
Location: Shelby Township, MI

Re: Rode DTE today

Postby rcab23 » May 17th, 2019, 10:45 am

The problem IMO is the way some people go about telling these people. I understand frustration with trail conditions, and directions, but usually in my experience having a civil conversation and maybe guilt tripping them to realizing what they did works 10x better than just screaming "WRONG WAY IDIOT" or "I HOPE YOURE AT TRAIL DAY *beep*". If your nice and just inform them usually they budge or feel terrible for doing the incorrect thing, and if they ARE an ass and ignore then just call them out simply. This was huge for me 2 years ago when I first got into it and was uneducated about everything. Riding ruts isnt as bad as people make it out to be, and the fixing isnt either. But rules are rules. Same goes for alternate direction trails, you should ride with caution and if your going to be cranking it you should already be looking plenty ahead anyways so thats on you if you run into somebody. This is all my personal opinion and testimonials however.
rcab23
 
Posts: 53
Joined: January 15th, 2018, 3:51 pm
Location: Livonia MI

Re: Rode DTE today

Postby TimTucker » May 17th, 2019, 10:51 am



It can be fun to complicate things, but it's always good to take a step back to question the sanity of an idea.

In other news, I just discovered that battery operated "Day Clocks" are a thing that already exists:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07NVSD3GH/
Image

Probably wouldn't take much to print out a new face indicator to go behind the glass that lists the direction for each day (an even simpler option would be to just draw in the directions by hand beneath each day).
Last edited by TimTucker on May 17th, 2019, 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
TimTucker
 
Posts: 66
Joined: September 29th, 2011, 10:36 am
Location: Warren

Re: Rode DTE today

Postby b_b » May 17th, 2019, 11:06 am

Hey you sure you're not the one going wrong way if you saw so many going the other way?

:mrgreen:
b_b
 
Posts: 1694
Joined: May 30th, 2010, 9:55 am

Next

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

cron