Rode DTE today

Everything related to mountain biking that's not covered in the forums below

Re: Rode DTE today

Postby Grabnmcbuttt » May 21st, 2019, 4:03 pm

What’s the purpose of alternating direction trails? Seems like at Yankee both uphills and downhills have become rutted and bumpy and the more technical sections have widened out with different lines being taken when riding opposite directions.
Grabnmcbuttt

Postby c0nsumer » May 21st, 2019, 4:16 pm

Grabnmcbuttt wrote:What’s the purpose of alternating direction trails? Seems like at Yankee both uphills and downhills have become rutted and bumpy and the more technical sections have widened out with different lines being taken when riding opposite directions.

Mixing things up, offering options. It can also be used for wear leveling.

Brake bumps are caused by trail design / sight line maintenance which encourages people to brake too hard on sections, leading to the bumps. Once brake bumpy sections are in place they are really hard to fix without significant rerouting; often it's not even worth it. (I'm not talking about patching/smoothing the brake bumps themselves, but correcting the design which led to the bumps.)
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby 2Old2BFast » May 22nd, 2019, 12:41 pm

Two-way trails doubles the trail mileage

On the other hand, having people going in both directions makes the trails seem much more crowded. If two people are riding in opposite directions around a loop at the same speed, they are going to meet each other TWICE before they complete one lap around the loop. If they were going the same way around the loop, they would never see each other.

In addition, if you have two way trails, the trail has to be wide enough to allow two riders to pass each other. That means no true one track trails and certainly no narrow trails along the side of a hill, ie. Torn Shirt.

Just saying, every decision is a trade off.
Facts can be proven to be true. Opinions are what you choose to believe. Don't confuse your opinions with facts. 8)
2Old2BFast

Postby b_b » May 22nd, 2019, 1:02 pm

2Old2BFast wrote:

On the other hand, having people going in both directions makes the trails seem much more crowded. If two people are riding in opposite directions around a loop at the same speed, they are going to meet each other TWICE before they complete one lap around the loop. If they were going the same way around the loop, they would never see each other.In addition, if you have two way trails, the trail has to be wide enough to allow two riders to pass each other. That means no true one track trails and certainly no narrow trails along the side of a hill, ie. Torn Shirt.

Lol his post was in the context of alternating days not 2-way all days.
b_b

Postby conomac » May 22nd, 2019, 3:37 pm

b_b wrote:
2Old2BFast wrote:

On the other hand, having people going in both directions makes the trails seem much more crowded. If two people are riding in opposite directions around a loop at the same speed, they are going to meet each other TWICE before they complete one lap around the loop. If they were going the same way around the loop, they would never see each other.In addition, if you have two way trails, the trail has to be wide enough to allow two riders to pass each other. That means no true one track trails and certainly no narrow trails along the side of a hill, ie. Torn Shirt.

Lol his post was in the context of alternating days not 2-way all days.

Correct. And even for trails that are two-way all the time it is not the case that they turn into wide trails. Pretty much all of the best single track I’ve ridden is full-time two way and often shared use. Alternating direction days is good around here since our trails are manageable sized loops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
conomac

Postby 2Old2BFast » May 22nd, 2019, 5:13 pm

trails are typically bi-directional meaning you ride them either way any time

his post was in the context of alternating days not 2-way all days

:icon_scratch:
Facts can be proven to be true. Opinions are what you choose to believe. Don't confuse your opinions with facts. 8)
2Old2BFast

Postby AllMountin' » May 22nd, 2019, 10:12 pm

I was at Owassipe recently. Rode the blue to the black and decided to ride the black again, so doubled back on blue, for a short section. On a climb, I hear bikers ahead, descending. I pull off and wait, yielding my right of way. It was a father/son duo. I have no problem yielding. I'm bucking the prominent direction.

Of course, even though I've yielded my right off way and am off the trail, the dad informs me that I'm 'going the wrong way'. Owassipe is signed both ways and on trailforks both ways. I'm pretty sure it's bidirectional. And it's in the middle of the sticks, so not especially high traffic. I guess Michigan peeps can't handle two way traffic.

I've ridden dte quite a few times. Never encountered a wrong way rider. I did hit a tree on a local downhill recently that I couldn't stop for. Just sh*t luck. I wonder if I could've dealt with a hiker in the same spot. I couldn't have stopped, but could've diverted. The tree left me with nowhere to go.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby AllMountin' » May 22nd, 2019, 10:16 pm

I have noticed some widening on newly two directional trails. Downhill trail gets pushed outward in the turns, while the uphill lines cut the inside. Is what it is. And some pretty blatant French lines, courtesy of the Yankee TT. Shameful stuff, really. But b*tching about it is a waste of my time.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby Paul Brown » May 23rd, 2019, 1:34 pm

DynoDon wrote:I seen the ambulance out there, a two wheel drive Rokon motor scooter with a trailer, nice set up, not a good thing to see, but we may see it more if people don't learn to ride in the direction of the day.
What is it with these people that ride the trail in the wrong direction, there were plenty of them out there today, I told them, and they really did't care, one guy turned arount, THANK YOU, all you have to do is read the sign, but it says counter clockwise, and clockwise, these IDIOTS have digital watches, grew up with digital clocks, they haven't got the common senc\se to figure it out, ask them when quarter to three is, and thay will tell you 25 minutes to three, these people are IDIOTS, I don't know if there is a way to communicate to them so they will understand. This two way trail set up is not working out so well, is it going to take a few bad accidents to fix it ? There are some places in the trail a wrong way IDIOT could cauxe a life changing accident, I don't want to see me, you, or even the IDIOT in a wheelchair, or dead, because an IDIOT has no consideration, or common sense.

IDIOTS who don't know how to tell time with an analog watch or use spell check should be publicly humiliated. :P
Paul Brown

Postby icetech » June 10th, 2019, 11:57 am

Yesterday was my first time at stoney, and i missed a sign and was exploring.. ended up going backwards on the rollercoaster luckily i heard the bikes coming and was well out of the way, could have been bad. The guys yelled at me that i was going backwards, i thanked them and turned around.. Am watching for signs much better now. I am an idiot, luckily no one hurt:) Lesson learned.
icetech

Postby DynoDon » June 13th, 2019, 5:20 am

Wednesday afternoon two of us left Winns loop area headed back to M 52 trailhead, about 1/2 mile in 2 teenagers, 2 adults came at us just before we started up the rock face climb, a few minutes difference an we would have met on the rocky climb/downhill that was close to a bad accident, people want the flow, not the work part of that section of trail, and don't care what happens. On weekdays after the morning rush of riders the lots empty some, the odds must seem good for the idiots to take the chance an go backwards before the afternoon afterwork crowd gets there. I've seen people out there quite often going backwards, but this was close to a big accident, its not a question of if it will happen, but when it will happen. Good Luck, we all need some of that.
We don't die from playing with bikes,
We die when we stop playing with bikes...
DynoDon

Previous

Return to General