Dropper Posts in southern Michigan

Everything related to mountain biking that's not covered in the forums below

Re: Dropper Posts in southern Michigan

Postby flamingo » June 10th, 2019, 6:53 am

I’m not talking about a trail like highland or lumberjack. I’m talking about highly technical nearly trials type riding.

My first two LJ were done on a Hardtail then I swithched to FS and never looked back. Hardtails are probably faster on non technical shorter courses. However I find that using ones legs to constanly compensate for the rear shock when going over small roots and rocks saps energy over long term. Another factor in the constant beating on ones back. I could probably do 1 lap of Lumberjack faster on a HT but later on things would change dramatically.
Let's make 26ers great again!
flamingo

Postby AllMountin' » June 10th, 2019, 1:12 pm

Thx! I've really enjoyed poking around the stuff closer to 41, but this was my first time on the south end of epic loop, and this stuff is exactly my kind of riding. Having seen what warranted 'technical section' warnings and ride arounds previously, I knew it would be something fairly legit. I had already decided to ride it before I rolled up to it. I stopped at the edge and peeked over. "Hmm. That's a ****ing rock wall."

I gave it about ten seconds of thought. It has a little run out at the bottom, and I know I can do it, but it's super intimidating. Ignored the lady's objections. Backed up a couple feet and rolled in. Touch of brake as I started down, and then let it roll. It went perfectly, though I noticed a bit of an impact on the rear wheel(hardtail) on the middle lower part.

It's just... maybe a little more than expected on what is essentially a challenging xc loop, likely ridden mostly by ppl on short travel trail bikes in half shells. If expect that kind of thing on trails meant for bigger bikes and dudes with full face lids.

I was pleased it went well, but I'd say the rock roll at the top of Dannyduro, and others like it, are more enjoyable while being far less risky.
c0nsumer wrote:
AllMountin' wrote:And I wouldn't have ridden the steep rock face at the beginning of am/fm with a post up my backside. Suicide.

Oof. That one's a thing. A few times I've thought I'd ride it (after seeing it before) but every time I've gotten there -- nope. Congratulations on that one!
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby c0nsumer » June 10th, 2019, 1:43 pm

There's some rock roll in Al Quaal that I've ridden when following folks. No idea where it was, but suddenly we'd be there and I only had time to think about how one is supposed to ride such things. Went fine, but the first time scared the *beep* out of me. Second time... Was just happy with it. I want to find that again soon. (Doing the Quaal Loop I'll come across it, but that thing is sometimes so messy...)
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby crustaceous_flora » June 11th, 2019, 11:58 am

If you guys are into big rock rolls, go to Harlow Lake and ride Bareback, Mclovin', and Doc Knobbs. Man those are stupidly fun.
crustaceous_flora

Postby Leroi Brown » June 12th, 2019, 9:20 am

crustaceous_flora wrote:If you guys are into big rock rolls, go to Harlow Lake and ride Bareback, Mclovin', and Doc Knobbs. Man those are stupidly fun.

I 100% agree with this!! There's as much, if not more, technical rock rolling here than many places I've ridden out west or out east! Music should play and beer should fall from the sky if you ride them without dismounting :-)
"Falling down the mountain
End up kissing dirt
Look a little closer
Sometimes it wouldn't hurt" - INXS - Kiss The Dirt

Cross Country Cycle Racing
www.crosscountrycycle.com
Leroi Brown

Postby rcab23 » June 12th, 2019, 10:01 am

yea that place reminds me so much of the whole enchilada in MOAB, minus the assisted long descent haha. Insane rocks and features, hats off to those who clear some of those long tech climbs!
rcab23

Postby 2Old2BFast » June 13th, 2019, 3:02 pm

Thanks again all. I found what I think was a very good deal on a new Brand X 150mm dropper on ebay, so I'm going to try it. Now, I'm just looking for a "vertical" remote that will work with my 3x Deore shifters. If anyone has one they aren't using, please PM me.
Facts can be proven to be true. Opinions are what you choose to believe. Don't confuse your opinions with facts. 8)
2Old2BFast

Postby santaclausersolo » June 14th, 2019, 6:56 am

crustaceous_flora wrote:If you guys are into big rock rolls, go to Harlow Lake and ride Bareback, Mclovin', and Doc Knobbs. Man those are stupidly fun.

Perfect example of a trail, that as a whole (due to a few specific areas) is easier to ride on a rigid. Though I'm faster on my FS, I get hung up less in a couple spots on a rigid/hardtail.

Also, I don't use my dropper post on either of those trails :lol:
santaclausersolo

Postby Jared13 » July 14th, 2019, 10:13 am

santaclausersolo wrote:

Perfect example of a trail, that as a whole (due to a few specific areas) is easier to ride on a rigid. Though I'm faster on my FS, I get hung up less in a couple spots on a rigid/hardtail.

Also, I don't use my dropper post on either of those trails :lol:

I don't think I used my dropper on those trails either...it was always in the down/fun position! :lol:
Jared13

Postby 2Old2BFast » July 14th, 2019, 10:40 am

I now have about 150 miles riding with my dropper. Downhills with deep sand at the bottom of the hill (Brighton) are much less scary. Ditto for rooted downhills with drop offs.

However, I find that if I drop the seat on every downhill, I actually go slower, because I end up coasting down the hill instead of pedaling. As a result, I'm using it less now than when I first got it. Maybe that will change, but for Brighton (not including Torn Shirt), ILRA and Maybury, I probably use it about half a dozen times per lap.

I'm running a 3x, and I still have to think about which lever to push. As a result, when I don't have time to think about it, I occasionally shift up instead of raising the seat (which is obviously very bad if you're getting ready to climb)! I'm sure that will become instinctive eventually, but it's a problem I didn't anticipate.

I thought the time not pedaling to drop the seat would be an issue, but it hasn't been. Dropping the seat after you start downhill works fine.

As an intermediate rider, it's nice to have, but by no means a necessity.
Facts can be proven to be true. Opinions are what you choose to believe. Don't confuse your opinions with facts. 8)
2Old2BFast

Postby c0nsumer » July 14th, 2019, 11:27 am

I agree there's definitely a learning curve; sounds like it's really starting to click with you. It definitely makes more sense on a 1x where you can replace the front shifter with a very similar shaped paddle-type lever. Works really well.

I agree too about sometimes you end up going slower down hills because you aren't pedaling; I've also found that if you drop it just a little (like 1" or so) you can stay seated and pedal and because your center of gravity is lower, it's comfortable to go faster than before. And you don't need the saddle at normal pedaling height because you don't need to put out a lot of power on the downhills.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby 2Old2BFast » July 14th, 2019, 2:39 pm

I've also found that if you drop it just a little (like 1" or so) you can stay seated and pedal

I'll try that tomorrow. I'm sure there's going to be a learning curve for only making small drops, but it sounds like it will be worth it.
2Old2BFast

Postby b_b » July 17th, 2019, 7:07 pm

2Old2BFast wrote:I'm running a 3x, and I still have to think about which lever to push.

You should fix that. :mrgreen: Sunrace has extended Shimano cassettes or can go 11x using Shimano hubs. I just have 1x10 32x11-36 is fine for LP trails.
b_b

Postby Hudnut » July 17th, 2019, 7:38 pm

b_b wrote:
2Old2BFast wrote:I'm running a 3x, and I still have to think about which lever to push.

You should fix that. :mrgreen: Sunrace has extended Shimano cassettes or can go 11x using Shimano hubs. I just have 1x10 32x11-36 is fine for LP trails.

copy that. I used this Sunrace 10 speed 11-40 with a 1x chainring and it was more than I ever needed. my current bike is 12 speed eagle and I don't feel that is a game changer compared to the 10 speed. not to mention the sunrace is an awesome value
Don't worry. It's all downhill from here.
Hudnut

Previous

Return to General