DTE Energy - Winn Loop jump questions.. technique, etc

Everything related to mountain biking that's not covered in the forums below

DTE Energy - Winn Loop jump questions.. technique, etc

Postby PresidentTrump » July 9th, 2019, 7:51 pm

Hey everyone,

I recently went and did the Winn Loop at DTE Trail, one of my favourites so far!

There are a lot of tabletop jumps on this trail and most of them I'm not able to clear. I'm just wondering if that's a design issue or if it's a rider issue.. I'm guessing it is just an issues with me, since I'm just a casual XC kinda guy.. but last time I happen to meet up with some guys that seemed knowledgeable of downhill and they said the jumps weren't designed right..

Are these large tabletop jumps designed to be cleared and I'm just not hitting them with enough speed? I'm just not used to pedaling like crazy on a downhill and hitting things at maximum speed, but when I hit them at my normal downhill speed, I bounce off the top or back lip and it's a bit dangerous..
PresidentTrump

Re: DTE Energy - Winn Loop jump questions.. technique, etc

Postby Hudnut » July 10th, 2019, 9:23 am

just need to go faster is my guess. use your arms to pump on the down side of slopes
Don't worry. It's all downhill from here.
Hudnut

Postby c0nsumer » July 10th, 2019, 9:24 am

It's a rider issue. I've seen almost all of them be cleared, and cleared many of them myself. You need more speed and better jumping skill.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby crustaceous_flora » July 10th, 2019, 2:27 pm

It's definitely all about technique, because they can all be cleared. However, I will say that the lips are already getting worn down from the high volume of riders on that trail. If you go ride "lippy-er" jumps like found in Marquette, Copper Harbor, and even the Munising MTB park etc, you'll see what I mean. Those send you farther in the air with less speed required.

However, I've rode all of what's completed of the new Sugar Loop so far, and let's just say that it will definitely be the sendiest trail around now. Absolutely huge launchers, big vert, and tons of rocks to be found there.
crustaceous_flora

Postby AllMountin' » July 10th, 2019, 4:40 pm

Some of them are hard to clear, and you need to be going mach chicken, or good at boosting. I'd say they are aspirational jumps for a high percentage of riders. If you make them easy, then some will overshoot them, which is worse than landing on the table. There a lot of riders at dte that have no intention of catching air, so sendy jumps are dangerous for them. I personally prefer to manual the majority of tables in Winn and find it to ride better that way.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby scat silvurz » July 10th, 2019, 8:27 pm

They can be cleared, but you're going too slow. I'm content to land in the middle flat part!
Five fingers, three chords, and one *beep*.....!
scat silvurz

Postby rcab23 » July 11th, 2019, 9:15 am

Unfortunately its the rider not the course. Last year or two i thought they werent that good. As ive gotten faster/better at riding im able to clear more and more stuff. I think the winn ones are just great, there are only a few that i cant clear. The biggest thing that helped me was cornering speed (especially flats, not just berms) and confidence. Watch videos for turning and carrying speed without braking, but as far as jumping i started twisting my bars and "whipping" a little and it helps so much with control instead of dead sailoring. Downhill riding and jumping to me is just controlled falling.
rcab23

Postby b_b » July 11th, 2019, 9:35 am

AllMountin' wrote:I personally prefer to manual the majority of tables in Winn and find it to ride better that way.

Ha now I don't feel so bad if ALLMOUNTIN does this too.
b_b

Postby Hudnut » July 11th, 2019, 10:03 am

AllMountin' wrote: you need to be going mach chicken

Don't worry. It's all downhill from here.
Hudnut

Postby drider85 » July 19th, 2019, 7:28 pm

I recently rode a loop and tried to pay some attention to speed. In the case of Winn loop.

Mach Chicken =
14-16mph for most jumps
19-21 for the bigger jumps.

YMMV and knowing your limits is always the best answer. I tend towards race and speed then style and height. Additionally big air is not always the fastest/best way around.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
drider85

Postby mtbfree » July 22nd, 2019, 7:17 am

I rode DTE for the first time over the weekend... super fun trail. What I found is that in order to clear some of the jumps, your cornering speed has to be pretty high. If you're having trouble getting enough speed, try working on your cornering skills so you can carry more speed into the next jump.
I'm just here to ride...

-'15 Transition Scout
-'15 Trek Session 88
-'04 Santa Cruz Chameleon
mtbfree

Postby santaclausersolo » July 22nd, 2019, 12:03 pm

mtbfree wrote:I rode DTE for the first time over the weekend... super fun trail. What I found is that in order to clear some of the jumps, your cornering speed has to be pretty high. If you're having trouble getting enough speed, try working on your cornering skills so you can carry more speed into the next jump.
and you didn't even call me? I'm hurt.
santaclausersolo

Postby mtbfree » July 22nd, 2019, 12:15 pm

santaclausersolo wrote:
mtbfree wrote:I rode DTE for the first time over the weekend... super fun trail. What I found is that in order to clear some of the jumps, your cornering speed has to be pretty high. If you're having trouble getting enough speed, try working on your cornering skills so you can carry more speed into the next jump.

Thought you were out with shoulder issues? Plus I'm pretty sure you were on the lake all day Saturday, lol.
I'm just here to ride...

-'15 Transition Scout
-'15 Trek Session 88
-'04 Santa Cruz Chameleon
mtbfree

Postby santaclausersolo » July 22nd, 2019, 4:00 pm

mtbfree wrote:
santaclausersolo wrote:

Thought you were out with shoulder issues? Plus I'm pretty sure you were on the lake all day Saturday, lol.

I am riding thru it for now. Surgery is October 21.

Saturday was way too hot to ride unless you went at 5am. And yeah I was on the lake
santaclausersolo

Return to General