good entry level mt bike

Everything related to mountain biking that's not covered in the forums below

good entry level mt bike

Postby Scova » August 8th, 2019, 5:22 am

hi all.

I am looking to supplement my training for climbing/hiking with some basic mountain biking. I plan to basically use the bike for around town and real easy off road trails - like powerlines or something. Right now, I want the cheapest thing I can get that won't injure me!! I have thought about getting the wal-mart mongoose special -but have visions of this thing falling apart on me.

I see REI has something called K2's https://bikesbros.com/entry-level-mountain-bike/ .

I really don't want to spend alot - in fact I would like to spend less then 200. I know you get what you pay for - but there has to be something out there for this $$ that is decent for basic biking.

besides racing bmx when I was young - I don't much about bikes.

thanks
Last edited by Scova on August 11th, 2019, 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scova

Re: good entry level mt bike

Postby DynoDon » August 8th, 2019, 7:49 am

Look below in the Classifieds, 26 inch wheeled bikes are a great deal now, the 27.5 and 29's have taken over, so the 26 in are still great bikes at a reasonable price, make sure to get the right size bike, you'll enjoy a bike more that fits you, maybe even ride it more. You can post a Wanted to buy ad in Classified too..
When was the first bicycle race?
When the second one was built !!!
DynoDon

Postby flamingo » August 8th, 2019, 8:49 am

Stay away from Wallmart, Target, Costco bikes. It is better to get something used but decent. As said above you should be able to get a decent 26" bike for cheap. If you want to get something new, go to a proper bike shop.
Let's make 26ers great again!
flamingo

Postby Critter7r » August 8th, 2019, 12:02 pm

Used bike for sure.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby b_b » August 9th, 2019, 7:52 am

For around town and easy trails and your price you might also consider used rigid cross/gravel/commuter bike and perhaps even a single speed bike, which will certainly help with your training objective haha.

Definitely don't buy Walmart crap bike. Also at your price I would not necessarily even want a suspension fork since it may be heavy junk unless you find a killer used deal. A good fork costs around $500 alone to put things into perspective.
b_b

Return to General