TTC on a drop bar

Everything related to mountain biking that's not covered in the forums below

TTC on a drop bar

Postby MLKuhl » September 6th, 2019, 6:48 pm

Anyone doing the TTC on a drop bar/cross bike?

I haven't done this event in a few years, since the old format that consisted on Poto/Waterloo/Lakeland and I had a MTB then. I don't currently have a MTB, just a drop bar...(shameless plug, Cannondale topstone on this forum classified :D ).

Really would like to do this event, 39 mile variety, but thinking it'll be tough going on the Poto.

Background I have decent skill and fitness and have done only green loop on this bike. I have done poto a ton in the past as well as all three loops at DTE when I had a MTB.

thanks for input/advice
Matt
MLKuhl

Re: TTC on a drop bar

Postby tadraper » September 6th, 2019, 7:20 pm

I have ridden the cutthroat that’s for sale in the classifieds on these trails. Perfect bike for that event.

[emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 Salsa Powderkeg
2016 C-Dale T1 Tandem
2010 Gary Fisher Triton SS with my son
tadraper

Postby DynoDon » September 9th, 2019, 5:01 am

I'm thinking about resting my Specialized Epic in favor of my Specialized Sequoia Elite for the TTC, I've got 42's on the gravel bike, I've ridden all the loops on DTE before Sugar, I'd much rather ride the Epic on DTE/Poto, but with caution the gravel bike is capable, the brakes work great, but those skinny tires don't help braking on those fast downhills before the berms, I was braking on the uphills just before the berms to make it around safely. Other than that the gravel bike would be great on the rest of the TTC, I haven't ridden the Sequoia on Poto, but if I can ride it on Kame/Winn with no real problems I don't see why I can't ride it on Poto. I see all sorts of down bar bikes on DTE.
When was the first bicycle race?
When the second one was built !!!
DynoDon

Postby Leroi Brown » September 9th, 2019, 10:09 am

While I feel that a mtb is definitely optimal for this ride, you could manage it on a drop bar bike. I don't think it will be as much fun, but it will at least get you out on the trail/roads for this event.
"Falling down the mountain
End up kissing dirt
Look a little closer
Sometimes it wouldn't hurt" - INXS - Kiss The Dirt

Cross Country Cycle Racing
www.crosscountrycycle.com
Leroi Brown

Postby deuxdiesel » September 10th, 2019, 5:45 am

Yep, all of Waterloo can be ridden on a CX or drop bar bike- not the best choice but doable. With the number of rooty sections on Poto it will be more challenging, but it has been done many times. I still see people on hybrid commuter bikes with racks and squeaky chains rattling through Poto so anything is possible.
deuxdiesel

Postby MLKuhl » September 10th, 2019, 12:31 pm

Thanks for the encouraging words. I just put some 40's on in place of my 37's, I know not huge difference but bigger. I'll plan to give it a go.
Matt
MLKuhl

Postby AnotherFolkRider » September 10th, 2019, 3:41 pm

You'll be in good company, it's all do-able on drop bars, especially if you are already confident riding off-road in the drops. I'll be riding it on a Fargo, as I have several times in the past. The wider tires certainly make a big difference for comfort but you can decide how much single track you end up riding if you are getting too beat up.
AnotherFolkRider

Return to General