Max PSI on tubeless gravel wheels?

Everything related to mountain biking that's not covered in the forums below

Max PSI on tubeless gravel wheels?

Postby Chris K » September 13th, 2019, 4:39 pm

Hello all, I am hoping to tap into the collective brain trust of MMBA. I am putting some Kenda Slant 6’s (29x1 8 ) on my giant TCX Advanced SX. They are going on the stock PX2 rims which have a inner width of 19mm and outer width of 24mm and are tubeless ready.

My question is, since I do numerous mixed surface rides I sometimes like to air up the tires and hit some long stretches of tarmac....what is a safe max PSI for tubeless setup? I know generally from my MTB’s 45psi is the general rule, is that true on narrower rim as well? I’d hate to blow off a tire while bombing some down hill.

Thanks for the input.
Chris K

Re: Max PSI on tubeless gravel wheels?

Postby c0nsumer » September 14th, 2019, 9:16 pm

FWIW, on my 43mm Gravel King SKs (about 1.7") I run 36 PSI front and 38 PSI rear. On 21mm internal width rims. On mixed dirt/pavement surfaces. Keep in mind that higher PSI doesn't mean lower rolling resistance.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Re: Max PSI on tubeless gravel wheels?

Postby chrismaltby » October 11th, 2019, 8:43 pm

I run 25-60 psi on a sets of Knards. Tubeless also. Have done this on various rims the last four years WTB, Mavic, Bontrager. Useless anecdote I know. They stopped making this tire, but is is probably hands down the leakiest tubeless tire for exactly two weeks, but the longest wearing tire I"ve seen. Stans it up with two scoops and two weeks later two more scoops. They hold air great after that. Gonna miss this one.
"There are no races. Only lotteries."

-Jacques Anquetil
chrismaltby

Return to General