Safe route from Auburn Hills to Bald Mountain South

For discussing Clinton River Area Mountain Bike Association (formerly Metro North and Holly/Flint chapters) topics.

Postby Synack42 » January 19th, 2020, 1:08 pm

Well, no fat tire bike here; So I'm tooling around on maps already coming up with ideas for the spring and summer...

Just curious if anyone has rode up to Bald Mountain South from Auburn Hills, via Phillips and Bald Mountain Road. I mocked it up in Strava: https://www.strava.com/routes/23476946

(The subdivision at the end apparently has a connector directly to the park from a cul-de-sac, assuming it's a private foot path and respecting that.)

Anyone familiar with the traffic on those roads? Seem like a safe way to get up there and back? I work around Walton there, looks like it would be a decent workout straight out from the parking lot...

*I do have the recreation passport, but I'm looking at it as burning off lunch calories with a quick MTB session as the reward.

Thanks
Synack42

Re: Safe route from Auburn Hills to Bald Mountain South

Postby bmiller » January 19th, 2020, 10:40 pm

Synack42 wrote:Well, no fat tire bike here; So I'm tooling around on maps already coming up with ideas for the spring and summer...

Just curious if anyone has rode up to Bald Mountain South from Auburn Hills, via Phillips and Bald Mountain Road. I mocked it up in Strava: https://www.strava.com/routes/23476946

(The subdivision at the end apparently has a connector directly to the park from a cul-de-sac, assuming it's a private foot path and respecting that.)

Anyone familiar with the traffic on those roads? Seem like a safe way to get up there and back? I work around Walton there, looks like it would be a decent workout straight out from the parking lot...

*I do have the recreation passport, but I'm looking at it as burning off lunch calories with a quick MTB session as the reward.

Thanks

I live in the sub and you wouldn’t have an issue using the connector, especially during the day. The thing is that Bald south is usually very wet in the spring and summer (I usually head up to Bald North, Addison or Stony). You can also get to the LOHS Dragon trail pretty easily, it kinda connects to South).
bmiller

Postby c0nsumer » January 20th, 2020, 7:43 am

To add, getting from BM-S to BM-N is pretty easy (Greenshield/Kern to the PCT to the path along Kern to Orion to Conklin). And soon the DNR will be putting in a large bridge connecting the PCT directly to BM-S.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby bmiller » January 20th, 2020, 3:55 pm

c0nsumer wrote:To add, getting from BM-S to BM-N is pretty easy (Greenshield/Kern to the PCT to the path along Kern to Orion to Conklin). And soon the DNR will be putting in a large bridge connecting the PCT directly to BM-S.

Where’s that going to be built?
bmiller

Postby 7ducati » January 23rd, 2020, 10:27 pm

I ride that route a lot, but starting a bit further south at University. At lunch it has very low traffic. I usually do that route on a cx bike, but bald mt road is getting to be in such bad shape I might have to switch to my MTB.
7ducati

Postby Synack42 » January 27th, 2020, 7:40 am

Awesome, thanks everyone. I'll probably be riding a beater hardtail with a joke of a front suspension honestly ;-). I don't mind leaving that one on the hitch rack all day in the work parking lot...

*Still wouldn't mind a proper gravel/CX bike... Probably will eventually happen, N+1 rule and all...
Synack42

Return to CRAMBA