Trails near Marquette.

For discussing Northern Michigan Mountain Bike Association topics.

Trails near Marquette.

Postby blamp28 » April 30th, 2007, 10:15 am

Looking for some trail info for an upcoming trip to the Marquette area. I know much of the O2S route is only open on race day. Can anyone point me to some open XC trails my son and I can ride while in Marquette next month? We have debated just bringing the road bikes but I would like to get on some trails too. I have a call in to the DNR regarding Blueberry ridge which was closed to bikes 18 months ago but was supposed to potentially re-open this spring. Our trail guide doesn't mention any trails in the area.
blamp28

Postby dirt » April 30th, 2007, 10:47 am

Here is one of the major trail systems in the area.

http://www.mmba.org/trails.php?trail=74

And here is a link to many of the trails in the area.

http://www.mmba.org/trails.php?chapter=0&zipcode=49855

There are other trails in the area, but the best route for finding those is to talk to some of the locals shops, but the majority of connected XC trails are part of the first system (The South Marquette trails)
Nick Shue

The content of my posts are not the opinions of CRAMBA/IMBA, and should not be construed as such

I...completely...agree........with Nick. -Di_bear
I have problems with flakiness.. -Di_Bear
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain.. and most fools do.
dirt

Postby blamp28 » April 30th, 2007, 10:59 am

DOH! Thanks Dirt!! I Think I'll stay at the Nordic Bay Lodge. There's just something cool about a hotel with a trail next door.
blamp28

Postby Di_bear » April 30th, 2007, 3:25 pm

When you're driving through Harvey (suburb of Marquette, Munising side, it's like the same city - you'll drive through it if coming from Munising), you'll see a Michigan Welcome Center on the right. Stop there, walk into the Michigan propaganda ;-) room, go to the far side of the room, and you'll find maps for ski/biking areas along with Marquette county maps.

Bring the mountain bikes. There are LOTS of opportunities.

You have:
* Anderson Lake Pathway, Gwinn
* Saux Head Trail (part of Noquemanon), off of Co Rd 550, Negaunee Twp
* NCT - only certain sections
* Range Mountain System - Al Quaal, Suicide Bowl, some trails behing Jasper Ridge Brewery (can't miss them - signed well), Ishpeming/Negaunee
* South Marquette
Di 2.0: Image
MCMBA Vice Chairperson
Team Tree Farm

"He's like kryptonite to aluminum." - dirt
"There is a fine line between fearless and *beep* stupid." - Jerry68's wife
Di_bear

Postby blamp28 » April 30th, 2007, 9:22 pm

Di_bear wrote:When you're driving through Harvey (suburb of Marquette, Munising side, it's like the same city - you'll drive through it if coming from Munising), you'll see a Michigan Welcome Center on the right. Stop there, walk into the Michigan propaganda ;-) room, go to the far side of the room, and you'll find maps for ski/biking areas along with Marquette county maps.

Bring the mountain bikes. There are LOTS of opportunities.

You have:
* Anderson Lake Pathway, Gwinn
* Saux Head Trail (part of Noquemanon), off of Co Rd 550, Negaunee Twp
* NCT - only certain sections
* Range Mountain System - Al Quaal, Suicide Bowl, some trails behing Jasper Ridge Brewery (can't miss them - signed well), Ishpeming/Negaunee
* South Marquette

Harvey, I know where it is. We are actually going up to clean out the house of a relative who passed away last fall and he lived in Harvey. Thanks for the info Di, I will check it out. Too bad you guys will be riding at 4:00 on Thursday. I will be unable to get there by that time. Hope you enjoy the ride.
blamp28

Return to NMMBA