MCMBA: Island Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Island Lake

Postby spatula » July 3rd, 2019, 10:05 am

Was out at Island lake last night and got caught in the monsoon. Trail was holding a foot of water in spots during the rain with intense rivers washing out the hills. I would expect it to be a bit of a mess today once the water soaks in. Aside from getting wet, the trail is getting pretty overgrown. There were a number of face-slappers out there and some thorny brush overhanging the trail in a couple spots. Some others riding yesterday mentioned similar experiences at IL on strava.
spatula

Postby b_b » July 6th, 2019, 12:57 pm

spatula wrote:Was out at Island lake last night and got caught in the monsoon. Trail was holding a foot of water in spots during the rain with intense rivers washing out the hills. I would expect it to be a bit of a mess today once the water soaks in. Aside from getting wet, the trail is getting pretty overgrown. There were a number of face-slappers out there and some thorny brush overhanging the trail in a couple spots. Some others riding yesterday mentioned similar experiences at IL on strava.

Ha that happened to me once and I took shelter in the out house by the canoe area.
b_b

Postby fsr1 » July 12th, 2019, 6:58 am

Island Lake will be getting some much needed grooming this afternoon. Please be cautious, as we’ll have volunteers out on the trails mowing and trimming. -Thanks!
Mark Dombrowski
Trail Coordinator Island Lake Recreation Area
http://www.teamtreefarm.com/
fsr1

Postby b_b » July 12th, 2019, 8:06 am

fsr1 wrote:Island Lake will be getting some much needed grooming this afternoon. Please be cautious, as we’ll have volunteers out on the trails mowing and trimming. -Thanks!

THANKS! It gave me an azz whoop'n yesterday! :)
b_b

Postby guidobri » July 15th, 2019, 7:18 am

Blue loop was dry and FAST! A lot of hikers and joggers going the opposite direction and it was very sandy so watch your speed around blind corners.
RIDE GIANTS
guidobri

Postby Saratoga08 » July 23rd, 2019, 7:06 am

Any update on the trail conditions since the weekend rain? Thank You.
Saratoga08

Postby Critter7r » July 23rd, 2019, 10:52 am

probably fine by now. Once it dries out from the spring thaw, Island Lake is usually fine to ride one day after a rain, even if it's pretty significant.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby Mucky » July 24th, 2019, 7:16 pm

Face slappers are out of control. Quite a few mud puddles today
Mucky

Postby 2Old2BFast » August 7th, 2019, 2:07 pm

Has anyone considered a minor relocation of the Yellow trail just before the Grand River hill to move it to higher ground? I would think moving it 50 feet to the right would eliminate one of the muddiest sections of the trail.

I feel sorry for whoever is going to have to move half a yard of dirt to fill in the big hole a couple of hundred yards before that which has been created by people riding the trail when it "just has a few wet spots".
Facts can be proven to be true. Opinions are what you choose to believe. Don't confuse your opinions with facts. 8)
2Old2BFast

Postby fsr1 » August 7th, 2019, 2:36 pm

2Old2BFast wrote:Has anyone considered a minor relocation of the Yellow trail just before the Grand River hill to move it to higher ground? I would think moving it 50 feet to the right would eliminate one of the muddiest sections of the trail.

I feel sorry for whoever is going to have to move half a yard of dirt to fill in the big hole a couple of hundred yards before that which has been created by people riding the trail when it "just has a few wet spots".

Yes, that will eventually happen along with some bridge modifications.
Mark Dombrowski
Trail Coordinator Island Lake Recreation Area
http://www.teamtreefarm.com/
fsr1

Postby Hail2Victors » August 8th, 2019, 8:12 pm

Major tree down on Blue just past the 7.5 mile marker. Definitely need chainsaw
Hail2Victors

Postby fsr1 » August 8th, 2019, 9:00 pm

I've alerted the DNR. Thanks!
Mark Dombrowski