MCMBA: Maybury

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Maybury

Postby CTB » April 21st, 2018, 1:57 pm

Hmm, good to know. If we don't get any rain today (Saturday the 21st), I will head out there tomorrow!
CTB

Postby frecher » April 21st, 2018, 3:42 pm

Maybury is as good as it ever gets, and that's with 26x2.1 tires. No excuses, great condition for anything wider than a road bike. [emoji3]

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
frecher

Postby CTB » April 22nd, 2018, 2:59 pm

Just got back from two laps. It is perfect out there! Get out now before the rains return!
CTB

Postby mrbikester » April 22nd, 2018, 7:57 pm

Ditto! First Maybury ride this year and it was perfect. Felt good to be out there.
Only comment is that this was the 3rd time I saw someone walking up the fast downhill portion that ends at pavement by Beck Rd & 7 mile area. Should there be a sign warning people entering the trail at that spot that mountain bikes go fast downhill in that area? What makes it dangerous is that the trail also has a lot of turns there.
I know they have a right to hike the trails but a warning sign might help.
mrbikester

Postby rcab23 » April 23rd, 2018, 8:00 am

maybury is absolutely fantastic and has been since the 12th pretty much. go ride it. I also agree there should be a sign because just yesterday a friend and I ran into 2 different groups of hikers and such. They were friendly and moved however I hate slowing down =/
rcab23

Re: MCMBA: Maybury Trail Day

Postby chisbang » May 11th, 2018, 7:52 am

Hello Maybury Riders
On Saturday June 2 there will be an REI sponsored work day at Maybury State Park to celebrate National Trail Day. If you are not riding the Milford Bike Fest that day you can sign up for this event here: https://www.rei.com/event/volunteer-at- ... lle/206516. They provide T-shirts and lunch! Our project will be trimming the mountain bike trail. We need three experienced riders who know the trail well to lead small crews of trimmers to targeted areas, and anyone else who wants to help. McMBA will provide power tools and safety gear. So, if you want to help out be sure to sign up: https://www.rei.com/event/volunteer-at- ... lle/206516 and if you can lead a small team PM me through the forum.
Don Chisholm
McMBA Trail Coordinator Maybury State Park
Maybury Hermit; keeping an eye on the trail.
chisbang

Postby 2Old2BFast » May 12th, 2018, 9:01 am

I just volunteered, but it doesn't say where in the park to meet.
2Old2BFast

Postby chisbang » May 12th, 2018, 10:28 am

Meet at the DNR storage building behind the park office. Beck Rd Entrance.
Don Chisholm
chisbang

Postby liamsdad » May 16th, 2018, 1:24 pm

No one in there today eh? Hmm...
liamsdad

Postby Dirtdevil » May 17th, 2018, 8:20 am

As of 5/16 evening the trail was 95% dry. A tad greasy in some corners. Worst area was a 10 yard mud pit a little after the start of the winter loop-just before the bridges.
Dirtdevil

Postby liamsdad » May 17th, 2018, 11:30 am

Rode it last night. Other than the very bottom near the fishing pond it was pretty dry.
liamsdad

Postby WICCMB » May 18th, 2018, 8:09 am

liamsdad wrote:Rode it last night. Other than the very bottom near the fishing pond it was pretty dry.

I would go further and say the trail conditions last night were excellent. The spot in question (just after the Beck Rd trailhead) was "soft" but definitely not in any way wet.

Get out and enjoy the trail before the explosive growth of spring vegetation starts to detract from the experience.
WICCMB
Administrator

Postby mrbikester » May 23rd, 2018, 9:37 pm

Rode trail this afternoon and a few small mud puddles and gushy muddy areas in first three miles but nothing to stop from riding. Overall trail was very ridable and the next few dry days will really help.
Have to say again though that the downhill section near the 7 mile area before crossing pavement, I was going fast and there were people walking down and I had to slam breaks on to avoid. I always ring a bell on my handlebars to warn prior to each turn but I still caught them off guard. When will there be a sign warning people that this section has fast moving mountain bikes going downhill?
I know walkers have a right to walk the mtn bike trails but if we were to bike on the hike only trails we ( I have been) yelled at for being there.
mrbikester

Postby chisbang » May 24th, 2018, 7:51 am

mrbikester wrote:Have to say again though that the downhill section near the 7 mile area before crossing pavement, I was going fast and there were people walking down and I had to slam breaks on to avoid. I always ring a bell on my handlebars to warn prior to each turn but I still caught them off guard. When will there be a sign warning people that this section has fast moving mountain bikes going downhill?
I know walkers have a right to walk the mtn bike trails but if we were to bike on the hike only trails we ( I have been) yelled at for being there.

Good point. There are many access point to the mountain bike trail that are not signed. Right now the park is working on a long term use plan for Maybury. Something that hasn't been done for 20 years. There will be an open to the public meeting this summer. We will be able to meet with the DNR to discuss these issues. They want to hear from the mountain biking community. I am compiling a list of things to submit and would welcome any input. When the meeting date becomes available I will post it on this forum. The more bikers who show up, the better.
Don Chisholm
chisbang

Postby Critter7r » May 24th, 2018, 4:15 pm

Seems like requesting that an "Exit only, Do Not Enter" sign that applies to hikers and bikers be posted where the trail exits after that downhill onto the pavement crossing might be an easy fix.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions