Poto: Brighton

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Brighton

Postby kbankes » July 9th, 2018, 2:38 pm

DynoDon wrote:Torn shirt is in better shape, I just trimmed half of it, I did a bunch at Murrary last week, and some at Appleton the week before that, to hot for this old man to do any more for awhile, if you can stand the heat/bugs/poison ivy, go for it, there is plenty left to do, if you like what I did, pay me back by doing some trimming, if you don't like my work, do it yourself, then I won't have to do it.. Tree still down on Torn Shirt.

Just wanted to say thanks for the awesome trim job dynodon. Heartbreaking to see that tree cut. Loved wiggling my handlebars through that feature.
kbankes

Postby DynoDon » July 9th, 2018, 2:56 pm

kbankes wrote:
DynoDon wrote:Torn shirt is in better shape, I just trimmed half of it, I did a bunch at Murrary last week, and some at Appleton the week before that, to hot for this old man to do any more for awhile, if you can stand the heat/bugs/poison ivy, go for it, there is plenty left to do, if you like what I did, pay me back by doing some trimming, if you don't like my work, do it yourself, then I won't have to do it.. Tree still down on Torn Shirt.

Just wanted to say thanks for the awesome trim job dynodon. Heartbreaking to see that tree cut. Loved wiggling my handlebars through that feature.

Thanx, I got a DR Trimmer this year, its much easier then the weedwackers I used before, still not easy. Yeah it took me a long time to enjoy that tree, it was a pain at first, but it was a great feature, Torn Shirt is still one of the best trails in the area.
Don't forget to tighten the loose nut between the handlebars, and the seat.
DynoDon

Postby vette-ss » July 10th, 2018, 8:02 am

Are you guys talking about the tree that was cut at the base but just leaning away from the trail but not actually down (at least it wasn't on Friday). I was wondering why that was done. I didn't remember it being that narrow of a pass-thru. That wasn't a small tree....seems it took more effort to cut than to figure out how to ride through.
vette-ss

Postby BDUNN » July 10th, 2018, 8:49 am

It's strange that they cut it to about 80% and then stopped. Maybe they were worried about getting caught and they heard somebody coming down the trail?
BDUNN

Postby DynoDon » July 10th, 2018, 2:44 pm

vette-ss wrote:Are you guys talking about the tree that was cut at the base but just leaning away from the trail but not actually down (at least it wasn't on Friday). I was wondering why that was done. I didn't remember it being that narrow of a pass-thru. That wasn't a small tree....seems it took more effort to cut than to figure out how to ride through.

Thats the tree, It don't seem riding through was the point, speed is about the only thing that makes any sense at all,(Torn Shirt is a technical trail not a Flow trail) lack of skills for sure, a goaround would have made more sense, then you could do it or not, but then I don't think the person that did that has much sense, surely no consideration for others.

Torn shirt is getting dry, the gravel climbs are getting tougher, still manageable, the trees are still down at the 4 mile, (you can get over this one, but its in a flow section) and 5 mile markers,(this one is a dismount) thanks to whoever took out the one at the 3, looks like a few people did a good job on it, THANX,,

Muarray Lake has a tree down about 1/2 mile from the end, you can see it in time not to hit it, but its a dismount..Lost, Ralph"s, and Found were good, Sand was getting softer in spots.
DynoDon

Postby qt314159 » July 13th, 2018, 8:41 am

Trees on Torn are clear. Thank you to the folks with saws!

Tree at the end of Murray is still there. It's in a pretty fast section and loose-over-hard made stopping in time interesting.
qt314159

Postby b_b » July 13th, 2018, 10:05 am

Yeah I noticed a tree was cut on TS right at the base maybe 6 inch diameter I believe that was a tight spot with a big tree to the right. It was really not very hard just steer to the base of the big tree and turn hard left at last second so bars are angled going through there.

I thought the down tree near end of Murray was a nice little addition on otherwise straight section and now has a go around to the left which I think could become new permanent route if desired. Something like this happened on ILRA blue and they wisely kept the tree added a nice little go around on otherwise boring section.
b_b

Postby b_b » July 13th, 2018, 10:15 am

What MILEAGE are folks getting for FULL BR?
What GPS unit and do you have speed sensor?
(Murray+TS+Appleton+Extension+Lost+Found+Ralph)
I get only 17 gps (no speed sensor) seems really low.
I may upgrade to Garmin with sensor.
Last edited by b_b on July 13th, 2018, 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
b_b

Postby The RideR » July 13th, 2018, 10:21 am

b_b wrote:What MILEAGE are folks getting for FULL BR?
I'm getting only 17 gps only seems really low.

Also funny my latest total ride time was 5 minutes less but not one new PR. How does that happen? :) I always ride the full loops continuous from same spot and start recording when I leave and stop recording when done.

I'm getting from 23.3 to 23.8 mi depending on a bike I'm riding (fat or skinny). I use hub speed sensor with Garmin 510.
The RideR

Postby vette-ss » July 13th, 2018, 12:48 pm

b_b wrote:What MILEAGE are folks getting for FULL BR?
I get only 17 gps (no speed sensor) seems really low.

Go to page 108, 3rd post down and see my numbers for each of the loops. However I just this week started riding a new bike and when I moved the computer over and recalibrated, it's reading lower. I was rushed doing it and since my old numbers agree with The RideR, I'll double check calibration on the new bike.
vette-ss

Postby b_b » July 13th, 2018, 1:27 pm

Thanks I knew I was way off but was curious by how much. Both iPhone and Polar gps report around 17. I wonder what a Garmin without wheel sensor reports.
b_b

Postby The RideR » July 15th, 2018, 7:52 pm

Rode Appleton and TS this evening. Both loops are getting dusty and lots of loose climbs on TS as usual for this time of the year. Also saw some trees cut on TS, one that was discussed earlier. Looks dangerous to me, one strong wind gust and it will fall. Second small tree was growing in similar manner close to the old and thick one about. I believe it's somewhere before the second new section. Seems like someone who has very wide handlebars or just lack of skills might have done that.
The RideR

Postby DynoDon » July 17th, 2018, 2:21 pm

Torn Shirt was in good condition after the rain, I made all the climbs with very little spinning, all the down trees are taken care of a BIG THANX to whoever did them, The tree the Idiot cut down is not leaning anymore, it cot cut up.

Murrary, Lost, Ralph's, Found, were helped by the rain too, There is still a tree down near the end of Murray, AND two trees down on Found Loop, 7 miles into the trails, they are in a bad place, on a fast down h9ll just before a rooted turn on the North end of the Murrary Lake side of the trail,.. after that rooted turn is a couple small drops, then a 180 degree left turn, fun section, but its now a pick up the bike section, chainsaw needed, trails were a bit sandy, but I'm not complaining, it was great compared to a few days ago..
DynoDon

Postby b_b » July 17th, 2018, 9:11 pm

DynoDon wrote:two trees down on Found Loop, 7 miles into the trails, they are in a bad place, on a fast down h9ll just before a rooted turn on the North end of the Murrary Lake side of the trail,..

Yes and I have a sore knee to prove it!
I couldn't stop in time and banged my knee.
b_b

Postby countryboy_mike » July 23rd, 2018, 6:50 am

Big tree down on the Lost Loop just before the down hill that comes before Tornado Alley. Chainsaw required. This was as of Friday Night.
There will be more rejoicing in heaven for one sinner who repents than for 99 rightous people who do not need to repent. Luke 15:7
2015 Motobecane Ti Fly 29er custom build
2017 Motobecane Lurch Fat Bike
2013 KHS SJ100
POTOMBA Chapter
Team Hometown
countryboy_mike

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions