For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Highland

Postby Highlander » December 8th, 2018, 3:25 pm

Tree down at the end of C loop, will need a saw
Gary
Highlander

Postby tmbrown » December 9th, 2018, 12:38 pm

Gary, Those trees have been cleared by Mike Rende, with his handsaw.
Thanks Mike!
tmbrown

Postby b_b » December 9th, 2018, 5:58 pm

I can confirm all clear abcd.
b_b

Postby flamingo » December 19th, 2018, 11:28 pm

Highland was great tonight (Dec 19). The leaves are getting well worn in. Even on the D loop. Despite above freezing temperatures the trail did not have overly soft spots.
Let's make 26ers great again!
flamingo

Postby BigfootDenny » January 3rd, 2019, 4:58 pm

Can anyone provide a recent trail update for Highland? ....
BigfootDenny

Postby tmbrown » January 4th, 2019, 7:09 am

The trail is in good shape, I rode all loops on Sunday, there is one tree down on D-loop after the rock garden, Ill probably clear that this evening.
With the freeze thaw thing going on now, get out and ride early…
tmbrown

Postby BigfootDenny » January 4th, 2019, 4:05 pm

tmbrown wrote:The trail is in good shape, I rode all loops on Sunday, there is one tree down on D-loop after the rock garden, Ill probably clear that this evening.
With the freeze thaw thing going on now, get out and ride early…

Thanks for the update !
-Denis
BigfootDenny

Postby ihateplaindave » January 4th, 2019, 4:58 pm

We rode it last night. Mostly snow covered and firm. There were no ruts.
ihateplaindave

Postby Highlander » February 10th, 2019, 7:17 pm

Highland today was ice, but most was granular with good traction. Watch out for the glassy areas, which there are many.
Huge tree down mile 4.5, at least 18” diameter with lots of huge branches covering a couple of switchback s.
Gary
Highlander

Postby crustaceous_flora » April 25th, 2019, 11:13 am

Tons of leaves down on the trail still, when will they all be gone so we can get a proper rip in? I was sliding in every corner.

Two trees down on D, one near the beginning of D will require a chainsaw for sure, it's a big one.

There's still some wet spots on a couple of climbs surprisingly, not really causing any damage to the trail, just surprised to see some wet spots on Highland at this time of the year still.

Btw, best trail in SE MI imo. Such a great trail design for this area. It's the only trail around that I actually crash on occasionally, and makes me get tired from focusing/turning so much, haha.
crustaceous_flora

Postby santaclausersolo » May 3rd, 2019, 11:41 am

crustaceous_flora wrote:Tons of leaves down on the trail still, when will they all be gone so we can get a proper rip in? I was sliding in every corner.

Two trees down on D, one near the beginning of D will require a chainsaw for sure, it's a big one.

There's still some wet spots on a couple of climbs surprisingly, not really causing any damage to the trail, just surprised to see some wet spots on Highland at this time of the year still.

Btw, best trail in SE MI imo. Such a great trail design for this area. It's the only trail around that I actually crash on occasionally, and makes me get tired from focusing/turning so much, haha.

We are sorry that you found leaves on the trail, in the woods, under all of those trees. We will work with the park and the DNR to have all trees removed so you don't experience this inconvenience again.

Leaves are a touchy subject, some people believe they should be left on the trail to break up and decompose and become a part of the trail bed, others believe that leaves are the devil and hold moisture and cause erosion problems, others are indifferent, others complain the leaves are slippy and scary.

If left to naturally disappear said leaves should be gone in a few weeks when traffic increases and they blow away and get broken up and ground down into the dirt. If someone were to go and blow them off the trails with a leaf blower some people would freak out, some people would be happy, and the world would keep on spinning.

I estimate that the leaves on A and B will be much less noticeable very soon. C usually has a decent leaf coverage most of the year due to lower traffic volumes.

I also estimate that the leaves will re-appear on the trail starting in October.
santaclausersolo

Postby b_b » May 4th, 2019, 7:44 am

I like leaves. Gives different look and feel for a while. I like variety. Consider them like any other trail challenge to overcome. We ride trails not roads for variety and challenge right? Guys are putting down plenty fast times even with leaves.
b_b

Postby crustaceous_flora » May 6th, 2019, 2:40 pm

santaclausersolo wrote:
crustaceous_flora wrote:Tons of leaves down on the trail still, when will they all be gone so we can get a proper rip in? I was sliding in every corner.

We are sorry that you found leaves on the trail, in the woods, under all of those trees. We will work with the park and the DNR to have all trees removed so you don't experience this inconvenience again.

Leaves are a touchy subject, some people believe they should be left on the trail to break up and decompose and become a part of the trail bed, others believe that leaves are the devil and hold moisture and cause erosion problems, others are indifferent, others complain the leaves are slippy and scary.

If left to naturally disappear said leaves should be gone in a few weeks when traffic increases and they blow away and get broken up and ground down into the dirt. If someone were to go and blow them off the trails with a leaf blower some people would freak out, some people would be happy, and the world would keep on spinning.

I estimate that the leaves on A and B will be much less noticeable very soon. C usually has a decent leaf coverage most of the year due to lower traffic volumes.

I also estimate that the leaves will re-appear on the trail starting in October.

hahahaha, dude, I wasn't salty, I was genuinely curious because at the time of me posting that, most of the trails around have been cleared of leaves already.
crustaceous_flora

Postby crustaceous_flora » May 6th, 2019, 2:42 pm

b_b wrote:I like leaves. Gives different look and feel for a while. I like variety. Consider them like any other trail challenge to overcome. We ride trails not roads for variety and challenge right? Guys are putting down plenty fast times even with leaves.

Oh i put down fast times with leaves, don't you worry, but there's a point of leaf coverage to where you can't rail a berm/corner as hard without losing some traction is all i was getting at.
crustaceous_flora

Postby crustaceous_flora » May 17th, 2019, 10:31 pm

Thanks to whoever patched up those mud pits with fresh dirt. This trail has probably my favorite sections in SE MI. ABCD is all clear of fallen debris and fast right now, get out and get it!!
crustaceous_flora

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions